Rear Differential Fluid Recommended And Change Intervals 07 Silverado

I just bought a 07 Silverado Classic 1500 with the 4.8L. It did not come with an owners manual, so I am wondering what fluid is best for the rear differential? I called Chevy and the guy (who seemed clueless) said AutoTrak II. But the Haynes Repair says SAE 75w90 synthetic gear oil. What is the best to use and how often do I need to change it???

I do not tow, but have a camper in the bed and drive on long trips out of state atleast once a month.

How many miles are on the truck now? Just wondering.

If it has never been changed it would be a good idea to change it now and 75w-90 synthetic is what is called for. You can pick it up at most local auto parts stores as well as WalMart. You will need three qts because it takes just over two qts to fill it. The major synthetics are Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Redline and AMSOIL.

As for change interval, since you do haul it wouldn't hurt to change it out every 50k.

If you are interested in AMSOIL's Severe Gear oil just pm me your address and I can get you a quote delivered to your door.

There is no "official" change interval from GM for differential fluids in the trucks, anymore.

I, change mine every year but I do not use synthetic. If your truck is equipped with a G80 locking

differential, and you haul your camper often, I'd change it every 15-20,000 miles. If it is a non-locking

diff, you should be good for 30,000.

The fluid still breaks down and needs to be changed, IMO.

I called Chevy and the guy (who seemed clueless) said AutoTrak II.

NO,You do NOT want to use AutoTrak fluid in the rear-end,AutoTrak is used in certain transfer cases on the GMT400/GMT800 trucks,It is a modified version of transmission fluid,It is way too thin to be used in axles. (I can't even believe they would tell you AutoTrak for the axle, :nono: wait a minute....yeah,I can :uhoh: )

As others have said,75W-90 synthetic is used in the rear-end.

I did front and rear differential, transfer case, & tranny at 50k and plan to do at every 50k from here on out. Want this thing to last a long time. I do not do any heavy towing, however I have a heavy right foot. I replaced the differentials with mobil 1 synthetic, 75w-90.

Archived