Governor?

KMT15

I have a 99 Silverado.  I was on the high way early this morning and it was very quite, so I decided to see what she had.  After eaily hitting 98MPH it cut back to about 93MPH.  I thought there was only a governor on the 4.3L?  How do I get rid of this?

-KMT15

The HyperTech Programmer will set you back $250-$300.  It will allow you to make alot of performance changes to your motor too, along with compensating for tire size and speed limiters.

The new tires you are considering should have a speed rating on them, so you should be able to figure out the max safe speed for the tires.  It will be a letter like "Z".

Hey shaneres, as far as the hypertech programmer, does it really help the truck make more hp or not? I see these things in every book or magazine I read, but am leary to spend $350 bucks to raise my top speed when all I do is tow. What all will it really do and how good are the changes. thanks

Hey shaneres, as far as the hypertech programmer, does it really help the truck make more hp or not? I see these things in every book or magazine I read, but am leary to spend $350 bucks to raise my top speed when all I do is tow. What all will it really do and how good are the changes. thanks

I really don't have the the answer.  I personally don't have one and like you I have only read about them.  

I've seen claims of close to 40 HP increase on the 6.0L with the Hypertech and premium fuel.  I find that a little extreme, but I bet 30 HP isn't out of the question.

The charts I've seen, show a very parallel HP/torque curve which is a good thing!!!  High HP/Torque numbers mean nothing to me in real world towing/driving...  I need to keep the big numbers down low...

The Escalade is making 345? HP on premium fuel with a different cam and some different mapping, so that is why I think a stock 6.0L should be able to achieve 330 HP with the Hypertech.  Please keep in mind that this is just my speculation though...

I don't have one either, but I think all the power tuning is done under full throttle driving.  Under part throttle, which I would consider normal daily driving, no extra HP/Torque gains are made.  Other features such as tire size adjustments, top speed limiter, shift firmness is still there under normal drining.

That's the way I understood it from reading info on the Hypertech website.  Can anyone that has one confirm this?

IMHO

Avoid the hypertech chip UNLESS you are taking your truck to the track.

As noted before...the majority of the performance gains occur at the extreme ends of performance range and will likely be less than noticeable in the daily driver end of the spectrum.

That being said you will increase the chance of engine ping/spark knock/valve rattle...likely have to pony up for the premium gas etc...

Most all of the chips advance the base timing into the ping zone anyway. {Granted that optimum performance comes at the bitter edge of detonation}.

Just my 2 cents...

Archived