It's either your gauge or your sending unit. Sending unit were a very common cause of the gauge just to show E most the time, back in my trucks era. I hade to replace my sending unit, it would show E and then sometimes show the right amount. But, since yours is vibrating, it sounds more like a fulty stepper motor to me.

Inside the cluster, for the fuel level gauge, there is a very small water bubble to stabilize the needle. When that bubble breaks, the gauge vibrates. My 98 is on its second cluster for this and now this cluster (reman) is doing it too.

I have this problem too. Already went through the pain of replacing the fuel pump assembly and didn't fix the problem. Guess I will have to live with the stuttering needle. At least I know the pump isn't going south.

I got an email back from a company called Specmo. They said that it sounds like the coils are bad in the gauge. They can repair for an estimated, $192. If I bring it in to them, about 1 hr to repair if I wait. Otherwise 24hr turnaround.

Archived