Rented A 2010 F150 For Business Trip

fbachman

Rental: 2010 F150 Crew Cab, 4.6 modular V8, 9000miles on clock. 4wd. Newest body style with old 4.6 mod V8. Auto Trans. Power everything else.

These are just MY impressions and opinions. Thought it may be of interest.

Impressions:

MPG: Ford---Highway Trip, 400 miles one way, Average for Ford: 15.7mpg (!) HWY cruising at 70mph avg speed. My Sierra: 19-20mpg HWY MPG EASILY...(consistent with my past Ford experiences. The mod V8s are poor wrt fuel economy. Maybe the new Ford engines will be better, but not this one).

Interior Space: F150 CC is cavernous in the back. Floor is virtually flat. Very nice. Fold the seats up in the Ford, leaves impression of HUGE box van for stuff. My sierra's floor is not flat, and making the space below the rear seat usable is difficult without a storage bin (IMO), which I have. I don't have a CC, but interested in other's observations relative to the Sierra CC, as I am looking to potentially get one as my next truck config. For such a huge interior (Ford) the front sure was cramped. My work buddy is 6'6", and he was eating knees the whole way.

Comfort: F150 seats are much smaller than in my Sierra. It was very difficult for me to be comfortable, or find a comfortable seating position. Seat could have gone back another 3 inches, and 3" higher", in my opinion to give taller folks some comfort. Sierra wins this one for me. My Sierra is very comfortable and a much more up-right seating position. Sierra feels like I am driving around in a Lazy-Boy. Ford felt like I was driving around on a lawn chair.

Interior Trim: My Sierra has a lot of plastic to be sure --- not kidding myself here. So does the F150. My perception/impression is a much higher interior quality and fit/finish in the Sierra than the F150. The Ford dash seemed robust. Several of the caps over the outlets were already missing at 9000 miles. Although laid out fairly well, too much of the Tonka Truck look for me. Also, the gauges on the instrument cluster were small, the Oil P gauge, and such, were 1.5in in diameter (no kidding). All I could see were round thingys with a needle. No telling what they were telling me. Sierra is MUCH better on this issue. Fabulous dash layout with a FEW quirks, but, overall, orders of magnitude better than the Ford.

The Ford is, indeed, whisper quiet on the highway relative to my Sierra. My Sierra is not LOUD, but also not as quiet as the Ford.

4wd: Drove home thru a snow event in the ford. Shifting into 4WD was never accomplished without a shudder and loud clunk. First time I almost needed a pamper change when that happened. No AUTO setting in this Ford model. It was either 2WD or 4WD. My Sierra wins this battle. As we all know, the Sierra shifts seamlessly, and one even wonders whether 4WD is engaged when going to auto. Even when going to full 4wd, my sierra has always been silky smooth. Also, the SIerra 4WD is like a tank in the snow. The Ford was good as well, but I feel MUCH more secure in my SIerra, and it communicates a much more secure road feel in the snowy muck than the Ford.

Tank Capacity: This Ford truck was equipped with a 36gal tank --- even with poor mpg compared to my GM, this resulted in massive hwy range. Ford wins this one. My truck has a 26gal tank. Not sure if the CC tanks have larger capacities, but comparing this one to mine, I liked the larger tank. About passed out on the first fill up. 1/4 full and took almost $70 in gas.... LOL

Performance: Even in factory calibration, My Sierra wins this battle hands down. The 4.6 is a dog. Granted, mine is a 5.3. I rented a 4.8 SIlvy recently, and that truck was a heck of a lot quicker than the Ford. Granted, this is a butt dyno measurment, but I think I have a pretty good feel for this, and the difference was huge.

Storage: Kudos to Ford on this one. The doors had absolutely HUGE storage capacity when compared to my Sierra. Basically, there was caverns of storage all over this Ford. My Sierra is fine for me, but I must admit, was never hunting for a spot to stash one more thing during a long road trip. I have the center console which holds tons of stuff, but the door storage in the Sierra is very narrow and not compartmentalized. GM could do a little better here, I mean, they have the space to do it.

Visibility: The Ford had the stepped driver and passenger windows, and the awkward looking larger square side mirrors. Awkward looking, or not, visibility was excellent. My Sierra is not bad, but the heated folding mirrors on mine are clearly a disadvantage over this Ford, and do not provide as much side visibility.

The one interesting thing: I love the feeling of the Sierra. No mistaking that you are in a big truck, and it feels big, which I LIKE. In the Ford, I felt like I was driving a mid sized car with a Bed. I mean, this is subjective, but that was my impression. Parked next to each other, the overall dimensions seemed very similiar.

"Out there" observation: Transmission shift Lever. The Ford's is about 8 inches long, and sticks out straight from the column close enough to the dash that my hand would get jammed if I wasn't careful. Very difficult to go from D to N without popping into Reverse. My Sierra shift lever is more prominent and has much better feeling whilst shifting.

Both have their good and bad points ---- would I buy or consider this Ford truck as a purchase? I would have to say NO. Eventhough I had Fords for years, and my Sierra is my first GM truck, I have no desire going back to Ford. I think GM has the edge for what I like in a truck.

Just thought this may be of interest. If not, I apologize in advance.

I agree with pretty much all your points are sampling '09 and '10 F150 crews, however I feel the opposite about the size. The Ford felt like I was driving a school bus, but the GM truck feels normal to me. Even the 5.4L in the Ford is a dog.

nice write up, my dads 07 f150 cc long box feels like youre riding in a cememnt truck compaired to my 06 cc sierra short box. the interior on miene is alot nicer and so much more comfortable his is just flat seatingwith no real support. plus he complains about getting about 10 mpg in his whiel i can hang around 20, mind you i drive a bit more like granny than he does but still i win that battle :crazy:

my dads is thr 4.6. it seems powerful for about 30 feet then it seems to run out of steam

that's a ford thing. The throttle curve is not linear, meaning 20 percent on the pedal is about 35 on the engine, and then falls back in line after that. Ford started that trick in the 90s when fly by wire started coming of age.

makes it feel quicker, eventhough it ain't... :crazy:

My dads ford seems like driving a tank. And it's got plenty of room, way more than my truck in the cab. But, the dash is cheap and mileage does suck.

My '03 F250SD DID feel like a tank. Burned as much fuel as one too. It WAS comfortable...about as compfy as my Sierra with none of the other benefits.

It was s good truck, generally. But 12mpg out of the 5.4 was a GOOD day. Winter it was easily in the 10s, and it couldn't get out of its own way.

Buddy of mine had a V10 250... now, that was a little better on the perf end, but 8-10mpg is all she wrote around town...heh

sneaky bastards, i guess that explains the poor fuel economy then since you burn the most gas getting the big turd to move from a stop. way to go ford.

my dads is thr 4.6. it seems powerful for about 30 feet then it seems to run out of steam

that's a ford thing. The throttle curve is not linear, meaning 20 percent on the pedal is about 35 on the engine, and then falls back in line after that. Ford started that trick in the 90s when fly by wire started coming of age.

makes it feel quicker, eventhough it ain't... :)

The room in Ford's crew cab trucks back seat area EASILY wins over GM, hands down. The Mega Cab Dodge's are very close to the Ford, also. That is the ONLY part, where the Ford or Dodge wins over the thousands of GM trucks

that I've driven or owned, imo.

i actually really like the new F150. the room is amazing. and yes, the flat floor with seats up is crazy spacious. i also like how the f150 sits a little higher up. at least on 4x4 models. i also prefer the interior in upgraded models.

overall, i prefer the GMC models.

It took you 70 bux to get to a 1/4 tank? How much is gas there? Near 8 dollars?

Tha flat floor of the ford is nice but the GM has a pretty descent floor also, not as much room but not that far from flat. Definately better than the Dodge floor with those dumb storage boxes that waste all the room

Archived