1500hd/2500hd Rear End Swap

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stonedigity

stonedigity

Enthusiast

• 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

I've got an '05 1500HD (w/ 3:73's) that I use for occasional weekend towing (6-7k# travel trailer) and primarily daily driver duties. I recently put new 285/75-16 tires on, and it has become a bit 'doggy' for both regular driving and towing. I'd like to swap in a set of 4:10 gears to bring things back to relatively stock. Question is whether or not a 2500HD rear-end can be swapped in rather than doing the gear swap on my current axle. Is this a straight swap? The local driveline shop wants just north of $1000 for the gear swap alone. 2500HD rearends are plentiful in the area and may be a bit cheaper to do (iff possible) all while getting the stronger full-floating design.

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Edited by stonedigity, 10 December 2010 - 05:40 PM.

#2 8.1HD/ALLISON

8.1HD/ALLISON

Senior Truck Tweaker

• 2,377 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Drives:04 K2500HD

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

Should bolt right up to the springs. Not sure about the driveshaft and yoke though. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

backhoe6_zps0cfc8c15.jpg
You want fuel economy? Buy a Prius.... I have a big block!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Chevy Silverado K2500 HD CCLB, 8.1L/Allison, 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs,
B&W hitch, Whelen 6 channel strobe lights, Soundoff Signal Mini Light Bar,
Dual Flowmaster Super 44's, BlackBear Tuned, Too much to list,

#3 builderpaul

builderpaul

Enthusiast

• 517 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

I've got an '05 1500HD (w/ 3:73's) that I use for occasional weekend towing (6-7k# travel trailer) and primarily daily driver duties. I recently put new 285/75-16 tires on, and it has become a bit 'doggy' for both regular driving and towing. I'd like to swap in a set of 4:10 gears to bring things back to relatively stock. Question is whether or not a 2500HD rear-end can be swapped in rather than doing the gear swap on my current axle. Is this a straight swap? The local driveline shop wants just north of $1000 for the gear swap alone. 2500HD rearends are plentiful in the area and may be a bit cheaper to do (iff possible) all while getting the stronger full-floating design.

I know the 2500HD rear end is totally different from the 2000/1500HD rear end. The 2500HD is a full float design and the 1500HD is a semi float. I think the 2500hd is 10.5" and the 1500 is 9.5". I think is is a bit wider.
If 4x4 you will need to change the front gears also.
IMHO you will notice little with such a small ratio change.
You will need to get your computer reset for the different gear size.
A "tune" will do more for you than the gear change and be cheaper and for the new tire size and gear change.
Silver Birch, 04 - 2500HD, 4x4 Reg Cab SLE debadged
G80. 145 amp alt
Black, DeeJee, aluminum, running boards
2 - black, Reading, 8', top mount, tool boxs with custom racks
custom rollup bed cover over the boxs
2500watt inverter, wired to an isolated battery, with 2-110v recepticals at rear of bed
2 - 60watt backup/work flood lights
prodogy brake controller
wait4me tune

#4 Moe_Fugga

Moe_Fugga

Enthusiast

• 416 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:05 AM

+1 on the tune. I put larger tires on, got a tune, and felt better power than before the large tires. AND it is cheaper. There is plenty of information on here to search through.

Edited by Moe_Fugga, 11 December 2010 - 09:05 AM.

Posted Image

2007 Silverado 1500 5.3L
2" Fabtech Leveling Kit
17x9 Moto Metal 955's
285x70x17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's
Magnaflow Exhaust
AFE Stage 2 Intake
Vengeance Racing Tuned
Line-X Bedliner
...and a few more here and there.

#5 8.1HD/ALLISON

8.1HD/ALLISON

Senior Truck Tweaker

• 2,377 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Drives:04 K2500HD

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

I know the 2500HD rear end is totally different from the 2000/1500HD rear end. The 2500HD is a full float design and the 1500HD is a semi float. I think the 2500hd is 10.5" and the 1500 is 9.5". I think is is a bit wider.
If 4x4 you will need to change the front gears also.
IMHO you will notice little with such a small ratio change.
You will need to get your computer reset for the different gear size.
A "tune" will do more for you than the gear change and be cheaper and for the new tire size and gear change.

All very true. Can also get 11.5 rear end in 2500's as well.

backhoe6_zps0cfc8c15.jpg
You want fuel economy? Buy a Prius.... I have a big block!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Chevy Silverado K2500 HD CCLB, 8.1L/Allison, 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs,
B&W hitch, Whelen 6 channel strobe lights, Soundoff Signal Mini Light Bar,
Dual Flowmaster Super 44's, BlackBear Tuned, Too much to list,

#6 markw8

markw8

Enthusiast

• 874 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

I don't believe the full floater is any wider than the semi floater. They use the same wheels/same offset. Now, the diff in the 3500 duallies is wider by about 4". I don't think anyone has given a good answer to his question.

On tunes the power is usually higher up in rpm's. Not usually the best for towing.

Mark

#7 stonedigity

stonedigity

Enthusiast

• 17 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

I don't believe the full floater is any wider than the semi floater. They use the same wheels/same offset. Now, the diff in the 3500 duallies is wider by about 4". I don't think anyone has given a good answer to his question.

On tunes the power is usually higher up in rpm's. Not usually the best for towing.

Mark

I've got a Wait4Me tune, and you're right it definitely woke it up as well as corrected for the tire size/speedo issue. Mark here is correct. The tune's power is up in the higher RPM's and I wanted to get the low-end back and help get the trailer load moving easier. All the online gear calculators show the swap will bring the truck back to relatively stock ratios (at the original 245 tire size).

So nobody here has performed the swap? Guess I'll have to hit the boneyard and take the tape measure.

Edited by stonedigity, 12 December 2010 - 03:56 PM.

#8 markw8

markw8

Enthusiast

• 874 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

Mark

I've got a Wait4Me tune, and you're right it definitely woke it up as well as corrected for the tire size/speedo issue. Mark here is correct. The tune's power is up in the higher RPM's and I wanted to get the low-end back and help get the trailer load moving easier. All the online gear calculators show the swap will bring the truck back to relatively stock ratios (at the original 245 tire size).

So nobody here has performed the swap? Guess I'll have to hit the boneyard and take the tape measure.

A good salvadge yard should maybe able to get the info from their interchange book. An expierenced truck tech at a dealer or good parts man also.

Mark

#9 ken1mod

ken1mod

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,150 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

As long as the spring perchs are the same dimension, i do not believe you will have a problem. Any good driveline shop can put the right yoke on for you , not too expensive. I agree on the tunes but gears will make a noticeable difference. IMHO. Programming the computer for the new ratio is not a problem.

Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users