Poplock power tailgate lock

Frank S

I decided to install one of these since tailgates are stolen on a regular basis in the Houston area and I didn't feel like spending the money to buy a new tailgate for a brand new truck.

The install was fairly simple but I did suffer about a 20 minute setback after I had eveything togehter because they showed the wrong mounting holes in the instructions so I had to figure out why the lock bolt wouldn't reach the scissor hinge,take it back apart and slide it over then rebolt it back up.

Total cost for this product and shipping=$64.95 (picked up from a truck accesory shop online) and imo the fit and finish is flawless because it retains a total factory look since it mounts entirely inside the tailgate and the wires are run underneath the truck.It definitely looks better than the permanent mount poplock that unlocks and locks with its own key and I know this for sure because I have one of those style locks on my ZR2.

Tip for anyone else wanting to get one for their truck-Have a fairly sturdy piece of wire to help feed the wires from the lock actuator down through the drainhole in the bottom of the tailgate or you are going to be playing with this for a while.

Well,you can't even see it since it mounts entirely in the tailgate.

The only hint is if you see the neatly wrapped harness coming from the bottom of the tailgate and unless you're looking for it you'll never even see that.

• 4 months later...
I'm thinking about getting the electric PopNLock for my tailgate.  I would like to know about the electrical connections to tie the tailgate lock in with the power door locks.  Where did you have to make the connections?  Were connectors included?

All necessary parts where included and the connection is made via snap splices at the fuse block.

It really has been a nice product and the install is pretty smooth but you may have to make a few adjustments to the mechanism or it might night catch 100% of the time.After I got mine lined out it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the info.  I have another question.  Does the wiring harness have a disconnect for when you want to remove the tailgate from the truck?  Or with this install, the tailgate cannot be removed from the truck?

Archived