2011 2500hd - Violent Front End Shake

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet........... I just put a couple of brand new 2011 2500HD Silverados on the road, and within 200 miles (yes, 200) both were experiencing an intermittent, violent shaking (jackhammering?) in the front end. It doesn't happen all of the time, only 2 or 3 times a week, and with no apparent trigger. Pull over & stop the truck, it will then drive normal for a few days.

The truck specs are 2011 2500HD Silverado LT, Ext Cab, 6.5' bed, 4WD, 6.0L, auto trans, 18" forged aluminum wheels, Michelin AT tires. Installed accessories are cab guard, 2 side mount tool boxes, 100 gal transfer tank with pump, and a bed mat - adds about 450 lbs to the bed weight.

I have about 75 more of these trucks on the road, 2004s thru 2007s, identically equipped, never had this problem. The only difference is they have 16" steel wheels. You can no longer get steel wheels on the Silverado LT (a stroke of marketing genius!); and we opted for the forged(18") over the cast(17") aluminum since we are frequently off road.

3 different dealers are scratching their heads over this one; all claim to have contacted "the factory" to no avail.

Anyone else?

I've had it happen twice to me. The truck had about 1000 miles on it. Dealer shop foreman road tested the truck & removed front wheels. He said nothing looked out of the ordinary.

I've never had the same shake before & this is my 4th full size IFS-equipped 4 x 4. I don't baby my trucks and the '11 had been off road a few days before it initially occurred. Violent shake driving that gets worse when the brakes are applied. Then it will go away as if nothing happened.

I also had this within the first 1000 miles, same truck 2500 HD 2011, gas auto. Another member had it as well, and when he took it to the dealer they kept it for a while and said it was a defective brake pedal assembly. that the electronics were causing the anti lock brake mechanism to engage on its own and not completely de activate. This is exactly what my truck felt like, only the front passenger side was grabbing. But mine went away and has not returned, so I am not planning on taking mine in unless it comes back.

I am waiting to see if GM issues a recall or something as it seems like this is becoming a larger issues, I have seen at least 5-6 people post with similar problems.

Mike

If you don't think the dealer is doing enough, you should contact GM directly. It's whats known as Death Wobble. Tends to happen with lifted vehicels with big tires and or with worn front end parts.

Mark

I think the trucks in question are stock & next to new. Mine is.

The rest of the time there is no "feedback" thru the steering wheel.

If you don't think the dealer is doing enough, you should contact GM directly. It's whats known as Death Wobble. Tends to happen with lifted vehicels with big tires and or with worn front end parts.

Mark

I think the trucks in question are stock & next to new. Mine is.

The rest of the time there is no "feedback" thru the steering wheel.

He said it was new. I suggested he contact GM directly. The comments about lifts/worn parts are the more normal causes. Not likely his problem.

Mark

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet........... I just put a couple of brand new 2011 2500HD Silverados on the road, and within 200 miles (yes, 200) both were experiencing an intermittent, violent shaking (jackhammering?) in the front end. It doesn't happen all of the time, only 2 or 3 times a week, and with no apparent trigger. Pull over & stop the truck, it will then drive normal for a few days.

The truck specs are 2011 2500HD Silverado LT, Ext Cab, 6.5' bed, 4WD, 6.0L, auto trans, 18" forged aluminum wheels, Michelin AT tires. Installed accessories are cab guard, 2 side mount tool boxes, 100 gal transfer tank with pump, and a bed mat - adds about 450 lbs to the bed weight.

I have about 75 more of these trucks on the road, 2004s thru 2007s, identically equipped, never had this problem. The only difference is they have 16" steel wheels. You can no longer get steel wheels on the Silverado LT (a stroke of marketing genius!); and we opted for the forged(18") over the cast(17") aluminum since we are frequently off road.

3 different dealers are scratching their heads over this one; all claim to have contacted "the factory" to no avail.

Anyone else?

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab long bed.

This same exact thing happened to me within the first 200 miles of driving the truck after I bought it. I took it to the dealership, they drove it and had the same thing happen to them. They checked the brakes, tires, suspension and couldn't find anything wrong with it. They called GM tech support that said they would do some research on it. They got back to the shop foreman and told him that he needed to install a new designed brake pedal along with a retainer clip. The way the shop foreman explained it to me was that the actual brake pedal is to long, and causes the brake master cylinder to still be engaged without your foot on the brake, which sends a signal to the computer and tells the ABS to kick in. The dealership replaced the pedal and the retainer clip, and the problem has never returned. I currently have 4,300 miles on the truck. If anyone wants, they can pm me and I will give you the information from my dealership that did the repair on my truck.

Hope this information helps.

Nick

Anyone else?

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!

This same exact thing happened to me within the first 200 miles of driving the truck after I bought it. I took it to the dealership, they drove it and had the same thing happen to them. They checked the brakes, tires, suspension and couldn't find anything wrong with it. They called GM tech support that said they would do some research on it. They got back to the shop foreman and told him that he needed to install a new designed brake pedal along with a retainer clip. The way the shop foreman explained it to me was that the actual brake pedal is to long, and causes the brake master cylinder to still be engaged without your foot on the brake, which sends a signal to the computer and tells the ABS to kick in. The dealership replaced the pedal and the retainer clip, and the problem has never returned. I currently have 4,300 miles on the truck. If anyone wants, they can pm me and I will give you the information from my dealership that did the repair on my truck.

Nick

can you send me h info please

thanks

mike

Anyone else?

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!

Nick

Thanks Nick............. I will have my dealers persue this solution. Thanks again!

All,

I took my truck in today to the GMC service, and they do have a TSB out regarding this front end "shake" it indeed does have to do with replacing the brake pedal assembly.

I have an appointment on Wednesday to have mine replaced.

Also, the TSB did not mention that this was specific to the HD line, it just said 2011 sierra and chevy truck models, so this could also be an issue for the 1/2 ton crowd as well.

By the way, the service bulletin was dated OCT 1st 2010, and I took my truck in on OCT. 21st, lol so go figure they did not even know about it till I went in today and asked.

O well, I just hope this fixes the issue.

Hope this helps others out there with the same thing.

Mike.

• 1 month later...

Any more incidents? I haven't had it happen since I posted. I felt a "bit" of feedback thru the steering wheel once since my last post. I pulled the brake pedal up w/ the toe of my shoe & the "feedback" went away. No shaking or vibration.