Transmission Dipstick

Looks like the transmission dipstick on my '09 Silverado isn't sealing properly. As far as I know, when you 'snap over' the flipper on the end of the dipstick, it is supposed to make the rubber stopper swell up and seal the end of the dipstick tube. When I do that, the dipstick still slides in and out of the tube very easily. If I drive it a little ways, the internal pressure or vibration pops it out of the end of the dipstick tube about an inch or so. I don't drive it too hard; if I did, it'd probably be throwing tranny fluid out of the tube.

Anybody else have this happen? It's like the end of the tube has been flared out to where it's one size too big for the plug on the end of the dipstick. My old Impala SS had the same type of dipstick, and it sealed tight.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Gee, thanks, folks. I wasn't asking "Gosh, do you all think this is covered by the warranty?" I was asking "has anyone else had this problem?" or is my GMT900 the only one in existence doing this?

There are a lot of good reasons some of us post these types of questions in this forum. Personally, my experience has taught me to:

1) Never, ever take anything to a service department if you can possibly fix it yourself

2) Yes, warranty work is free, but you often get what you pay for it; nothing whatsoever:

a. "They all do that"

b. "Unable to find problem"

c. Or my favorite "we tried to fix it but it's still doing it--don't drive it very fast or very far--it might quit you--but bring it back in again later if you want, and we'll try again, if we can book you in"

It's very disappointing to post a valid mechanical question on this forum and only get answers like "warranty" and "search is your friend". But it seems like if you post something about what brand of oversize black clown wheels and mud tires to put on your truck, then you'd better stand back while everybody and their brother wets themselves trying to post a million answers! :lol:

Gee, thanks, folks. I wasn't asking "Gosh, do you all think this is covered by the warranty?" I was asking "has anyone else had this problem?" or is my GMT900 the only one in existence doing this?

There are a lot of good reasons some of us post these types of questions in this forum. Personally, my experience has taught me to:

1) Never, ever take anything to a service department if you can possibly fix it yourself

2) Yes, warranty work is free, but you often get what you pay for it; nothing whatsoever:

a. "They all do that"

c. Or my favorite "we tried to fix it but it's still doing it--don't drive it very fast or very far--it might quit you--but bring it back in again later if you want, and we'll try again, if we can book you in"

It's very disappointing to post a valid mechanical question on this forum and only get answers like "warranty" and "search is your friend". But it seems like if you post something about what brand of oversize black clown wheels and mud tires to put on your truck, then you'd better stand back while everybody and their brother wets themselves trying to post a million answers! :lol:

But this will be a simple fix at the dealer. The only time I've ever seen this before the dipstick was defective and the rubber plug body wasn't expanding when you flipped the lock over

a. "They all do that"

Generally speaking, everyone on here is a bit of a smart ass. It just goes with the site for some reason. We often say to use search because it gets very old to explain the same things over and over and over again. Self help is the preferred method. My personal favorite are all the questions that can be answered by opening up the owners manual while taking a poo and just reading for yourself.

Your problem is a simple fix: You need a new dipstick. Mine has not had this problem. Using your logic above, you should go to the parts department and purchase a new dipstick so that you can fix it yourself and not have any free warranty work done or be told that they all do that or we are unable to find the problem.

My friend, there is a TON of helpful people and information on here, but you must have a little thicker skin. By all means, when you get the chance, give ma a hard time.......

If everyone had your attitude on using the warranty GM would figure that there are no problems. The warranty is MFR's way of charting if there are any problems and a way to track them. People complain about problems they have but in many cases GM has no data to support it.

Use the warranty.

a. "They all do that"

Generally speaking, everyone on here is a bit of a smart ass. It just goes with the site for some reason. We often say to use search because it gets very old to explain the same things over and over and over again. Self help is the preferred method. My personal favorite are all the questions that can be answered by opening up the owners manual while taking a poo and just reading for yourself.

Your problem is a simple fix: You need a new dipstick. Mine has not had this problem. Using your logic above, you should go to the parts department and purchase a new dipstick so that you can fix it yourself and not have any free warranty work done or be told that they all do that or we are unable to find the problem.

My friend, there is a TON of helpful people and information on here, but you must have a little thicker skin. By all means, when you get the chance, give ma a hard time.......

Thanks for the replies! As you might have guessed from my post, this has not been a good week. But I do appreciate the feedback from everyone. And y'all have got some good looking white trucks there (mine is Summit White).

Archived