Rusty Front Bumper After Only 3 Months?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of my GM oval side steps was all rusty. Nothing you could do would take the rust off. Brought it to GM and they replaced them. Unreal how cheap it is.

I thought these oval side steps were chromed stainless steel. I know that the tubular steps for GMT 800s used to be chromed stainless so they would not rust at all. Maybe they started using plain carbon steel under that microscopically thin layer of chrome? I live in a coastal area with a lot of salt in the air from the ocean. I will not buy these oval steps unless they are chromed stainless.

I am losing confidence in GM accessories after hearing this. I know that NASTA tubular step bars are polished stainless and will not rust. And they are a lot cheaper too.

My front bumper on my 2010 was bad after 6 months and my dealer told me to use polish, so i hung a picture of it at the dodge dealer and took a picture then showed it to my dealer and the replaced it right away.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone else had any rust problems with the bumpers (or anyother parts) on there new trucks? I was almost sick to see that my front bumper had started to bleed rust in about 20 places across the top. The truck was bought new in sept. Has only 3k on it. Hell I haven't even driven down a gravel road in it yet. I'm going to call the dealer in the morning and see what they will do. Of course that isn't to easy either, the dealer I bought from has closed down. So I hope the other dealer in town will still treat me good....

I hope they will replace it without any hassle. Ì`m almost embarassed to drive it looking like that. :cheers:

My front bumper on my 2010 was bad after 6 months and my dealer told me to use polish, so i hung a picture of it at the dodge dealer and took a picture then showed it to my dealer and the replaced it right away.

Haha, that's funny. It's amazing how quickly they act to avoid negative publicity.

Just had a new front bumper installed. If it rusts again bring it back I was told. I'm good with that. I wasn't told I should just polish the rust off the original, the dealer was fantastic. For you guy's that are still under warranty and the dealer won't help, try another dealer that wants happy GM customers.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy crap ... so I'm not the only one. Bought my 2011 Sierra December 1 and by mid January there were rust spots on the front and rear bumper. Dealership talked me into buying the rust inhibitor, paint protection, and undercoating when I purchased the truck. I took it into the dealership and they told me it was just rail dust and the only thing I can do is to buy some polish and polish it off. I've done that about 10 times now, and it keeps coming back. I've driven 3 Fords and 1 Dodge brand new off the lot and I've never seen this before.

:thumbs:

Holy crap ... so I'm not the only one. Bought my 2011 Sierra December 1 and by mid January there were rust spots on the front and rear bumper. Dealership talked me into buying the rust inhibitor, paint protection, and undercoating when I purchased the truck. I took it into the dealership and they told me it was just rail dust and the only thing I can do is to buy some polish and polish it off. I've done that about 10 times now, and it keeps coming back. I've driven 3 Fords and 1 Dodge brand new off the lot and I've never seen this before.

:thumbs:

Polish itself wont work. Try a clay bar

Congrates on the purchase of your Disposible Truck! I think there building them with a 4 year life span.... I hate to say it but this might be my last GMC.

Sadly, GM did not learn their lessons from the 70s when the paint quality on most of their vehicles was simply dismal. My father's 1976 Oldsmobile 98 started rusting when it was 2 years old. And I am not talking about chrome, but rust bubbles under paint!!!!!!! GM did not use any rustproofing on these cars, the paint was very thin and of low quality.

The philosophy back then was similar - make the car last 3 or 4 years. And it seems that now they are doing the same thing.

sounds like the metal chrome needs to be clear coated!

i haven't had any rust problems like everyone else is having because i don't live wear it snows a lot. sounds like the road salt is rusting the chrome.

my recommendation would be treat the chrome like paint, clay bar it, polish it with a dedicated metal polish, and WAX it! the wax will help protect the chrome.

i wax my stock 20" chrome wheels on my silverado and it helps keep the brake dust off! plus it give them that extra POP!

One of my GM oval side steps was all rusty. Nothing you could do would take the rust off. Brought it to GM and they replaced them. Unreal how cheap it is.

However, the $600+ price tag on them is indicative of 10 gauge surgical grade stainless steel with quadruple chrome plating. What do you mean they are "cheap"? :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing my truck in tomorrow for a service and to have my rear bumper looked at. The entire rear bumper is covered with surface rust...just over a year old. My buddy brought his truck in yesterday with the same rust issue and the dealer told them they never heard of the problem...funny since when I called they told me they are having lots of bumper rust issues. They also told him to just use Windex clean it then wax it. Honestly My 07 never had a stain of rust anywhere, and it was always on dirt and gravel roads and exposed to the harsh winters of Alberta. I have to say I am very disappointed in GM for trying to cut costs on there new trucks. I believe my 07 was definitely a better built truck.

Archived