Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So my new truck has the 8.1L ( yes im putting a front on a gasser) and I make a lot of short trips. Only drive 7 miles to work. 1/2 highway 1/2 city. Takes a while to warm up and Ally won't shift into overdrive till shes warmed up a little. I looked and couldn't find much on winter grill covers so I made my own. Took about 2 hours tops, $4 worth of a polyester outdoor fabric( which I have enough left to make a second one). Took the plastic cover off the radiator support, cut holes out in the fabric for the plastic clips, laid the fabric on, reinstalled plastic cover. I folded the bottom of the cover under the grill, took the headlights out and used 3 small bungee cords behind the grill to keep a little tension on it. 2 hours and 4$ later. I am gonna keep a real close eye on it first time out to make sure engine and tranny temps stay in operating range. I left the cover a little short on the ends to let some air in, also left the bumper holes uncovered for air flow. If I need to I will cut a couple holes in the middle if it gets too warm. Here are a couple pics. newtruckpics115.jpgnewtruckpics116.jpg

Heck ya, plus it looks better then a piece of cardboard duct taped on.

Doubt you will have probs with temps. I have the factory cover on my Dmax which helps tremendously! The tranny warms up faster but never goes over 150. Uncovered the tranny stays cold! My cover blocks 100% of the grill... I don't use the bottom piece that covers the bumper openings.

Thanks for the insight! I also forgot to mention I move the ambient air temp sensor down behind the bumper so it would still read true when I have the cover on.

A few years ago I picked up a custom fit 'bug screen' for the grille from Cabela's for $19.99. I installed it to try to keep all the bugs out of the radiator, condenser and the tranny cooler but the Allison's temps went up with it on so I took it back off. This of course was in the spring and summer. And that was only a screen. What you've done should help.

DEWFPO

looks good...at least yours stays on nicely. My 2011 winterfront is held on my some fruity little plastic tabs that you push between the grill and the bumper....LOL

good work!

not bad.... is there anyway you could mount it on the inside? would be a cleaner look.

love the skynrd flag!

Thanks! Probably could have mounted it behind if I would have done it a little differently. I wasn't too worried about looks. Plus its pretty easy to take off if I need to.

Last weekend I seen the best grill cover. It was on an S-10 and the cover was made from a 24 can pack of coors light. Even had the coors logo out :(

Wish I would have known. My Truck came with an extra grill cover. would have just given it 2 ya

Wish I would have known. My Truck came with an extra grill cover. would have just given it 2 ya

Do you still have that second one? If so, I would be interested in it.

Looks good!

BTW people it's a GRILLE on the truck not a GRILL. I opened the thread and thought it was a winter cover for your barbeque :lol:

• Popular Now

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.