Winter Grill Cover

So my new truck has the 8.1L ( yes im putting a front on a gasser) and I make a lot of short trips. Only drive 7 miles to work. 1/2 highway 1/2 city. Takes a while to warm up and Ally won't shift into overdrive till shes warmed up a little. I looked and couldn't find much on winter grill covers so I made my own. Took about 2 hours tops, $4 worth of a polyester outdoor fabric( which I have enough left to make a second one). Took the plastic cover off the radiator support, cut holes out in the fabric for the plastic clips, laid the fabric on, reinstalled plastic cover. I folded the bottom of the cover under the grill, took the headlights out and used 3 small bungee cords behind the grill to keep a little tension on it. 2 hours and 4$ later. I am gonna keep a real close eye on it first time out to make sure engine and tranny temps stay in operating range. I left the cover a little short on the ends to let some air in, also left the bumper holes uncovered for air flow. If I need to I will cut a couple holes in the middle if it gets too warm. Here are a couple pics. newtruckpics115.jpgnewtruckpics116.jpg

Doubt you will have probs with temps. I have the factory cover on my Dmax which helps tremendously! The tranny warms up faster but never goes over 150. Uncovered the tranny stays cold! My cover blocks 100% of the grill... I don't use the bottom piece that covers the bumper openings.

A few years ago I picked up a custom fit 'bug screen' for the grille from Cabela's for $19.99. I installed it to try to keep all the bugs out of the radiator, condenser and the tranny cooler but the Allison's temps went up with it on so I took it back off. This of course was in the spring and summer. And that was only a screen. What you've done should help.

DEWFPO

Last weekend I seen the best grill cover. It was on an S-10 and the cover was made from a 24 can pack of coors light. Even had the coors logo out :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived