Shifter Cable Replacement?

tpatsch

Question

Hello,

I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 4x4 with approx 85,000 miles and am in need of some professional advice.

Have an interesting issue. Last night was backing up in drive way and the gear shifter became lose and was all play. Gear went from R,N,D,3,2,1 and now remains in 1. The gear shirt flows freely and cannot engage any gears. The truck won't start as it's in 1st gear and I have the Emergency Break engaged as it was rolling forward.

Was speaking to a friend and he said it may be the shifter cable. Is this something that would be easy to replace and if so, does anyone have any experience with it or can lead me in the right direction? Is it possible the cable just came loose and can be reattached or is it best to replace the cable all together? I could have it towed to a repair shop if it sounds to difficult to do on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 answers to this question

GM has one cable for your truck,jobber parts stores suck inho

check the end at the cable carfully,

as mentioned the retaining ears do break,

dirtymax diesel w/allison trans cables are 2 piece

under the steering column is a PITA as mentioned,

dont forget to buy the "fence staple" or the cable retainer clip

maybe an hour labour if you don't want to bother , but check first !

One end of the cable hooks to the end of the shifter, inside the column. Need to take the knee bolster and steering column covers off to inspect. Also crawl under the truck and inspect drivers side of transmission. Should see the cable coming down to transmission. Basicly there is a retension clip on each end. Other then that just have to fish the cable out if its broken. Can be a pain in the a$$ getting to everything under the column. Hope that helps!

One end of the cable hooks to the end of the shifter, inside the column. Need to take the knee bolster and steering column covers off to inspect. Also crawl under the truck and inspect drivers side of transmission. Should see the cable coming down to transmission. Basicly there is a retension clip on each end. Other then that just have to fish the cable out if its broken. Can be a pain in the a$$ getting to everything under the column. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help. My buddy got under the truck and was able to manually shift the gears by twisting the cable. He just can't determine if the cable will need to be replaced or can it be reattached. My thought is if it came off once, what are the odds it will happen again. Was lucky this happened in the drive way and not in some parking lot or dirt road while hunting or even worse, while the wife and kids are out and about.

Also, would you happen to know what length cable. Was searching on Autozone and they have several posted. Thanks

Archived