• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tuner1406

tuner1406

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

hello im a newbie

im looking at buying a 91 gmc sierra 1500 4x4, i dont know what tranny it has, all i know is that its auto, but the tranny wont shift into 3rd or 4th gear, and the guy says that the fluid and filter needs to be changed(or thats what hes been told is the problem), i havent gone to look at the truck yet so i dont know how the other gears shift, but is this most likely the cause, or will the tranny probably have to be rebuilt?, thanks

#2 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,160 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:01 AM

hello im a newbie

im looking at buying a 91 gmc sierra 1500 4x4, i dont know what tranny it has, all i know is that its auto, but the tranny wont shift into 3rd or 4th gear, and the guy says that the fluid and filter needs to be changed(or thats what hes been told is the problem), i havent gone to look at the truck yet so i dont know how the other gears shift, but is this most likely the cause, or will the tranny probably have to be rebuilt?, thanks

Plan on the problem being that and offer a price taking that into consideration, or stay the hell away from it. Sounds like the 3-4 clutches are gone

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#3 tuner1406

tuner1406

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

hello im a newbie

Plan on the problem being that and offer a price taking that into consideration, or stay the hell away from it. Sounds like the 3-4 clutches are gone

well i asked the guy if he would have the fluid and filter changed so that i could see if it fixes the problem or not because i dont wanna get the truck, change those 2 things, then it still have the problem, and the guy said hes not gonna have it changed cause otherwise he would keep the truck, so i told him nevermind, thanks for the help, and he said the fluid is red, and not brown

#4 suburbanator

suburbanator

Enthusiast

• 25 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

The seller's response doesn't make sense. Unless this is such a good deal you wouldn't mind spending $700 to get the tranny rebuilt, let it go. I would bet the fluid and filter change will not make any difference at all. You could ask to take the truck to a transmission shop for an evaluation and estimate before buying it, but I bet he won't agree to it.

#5 tuner1406

tuner1406

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:24 AM

well the guy lives like 3-4 hours away from me so im not gonna drive up there unless i was buying it, so i told the guy nevermind, hes probbably just lying to me, and the tranny probably needs to be rebuilt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here