F-150 Twinforce Mileage Released

16/22. For a 2WD with 3.15 rear gears.

All that hype, all that chest pounding...for a mediocre 16/22.

To put that into perspective, the 5.0 V8 gets 15/21.

So, to recap, TwinForce is a sham, it does not offer the gains Ford claimed...it costs more to buy. It costs more to maintain, and it costs more to repair.

NOT WORTH IT.

LINK-AutoBlog

Personally, i'll still be taking a look at one. Having usable torque @2000 RPMs has it's benefits.

I wonder if they'd actually get better highway gas mileage with a lower gear... would be one crappy mistake by the drivetrain designers if so :crazy:

Then enlighten me on what YOU think a the twinforce engine would GET. Instead of what's it's supposed to get. Cause we know how ford tweaks numbers.

Part of me was expecting much better than that considering the way Ford (over) hyped the engine and thumped their chest.

The other half knew that anything better than the Flex was a total pipe dream.

In the most common configuration (Crew Cab, 4X4), this engine will be lucky to break 20 MPG highway, 15 MPG city.

not a Ford Fan by a long short, I've owned a few that have had some major issues, but according to their chart it is best in class in several categories..

ecoboost-f-150-graph.jpg

Ford is trying something new, they will either pull it off or fall flat on their face, but at least they are trying..

Remember Ford is pushing to be the best in class for green and eco-friendly vehicles, and they are attempting to unseat Toyota and Honda in those categories, they are not trying to cater to the old school of big displacement, low mpg, run it until it rusts apart crown, they are aiming for the small motor, high mpg, trade it every 5 years disposable society crowd..

it's a shame my sarcasm doesn't come across in the written word..

These numbers certainly aren't what I was hoping to see. I'm still curious to see what people actually pull in them for MPG, towing and normal driving. Especially towing compared to the other trucks towing.

Yeah, im curious to see how they actually perform.

As far as specs are concerned... it should kill all of the automakers biggest V8s in towing (420 lb-ft @ 2500 RPM) and the EPA ratings are still better.

GM 6.2L

13/18 MPG

403 HP @ 5700

417 lb-ft @ 4300

So what if it gets 16/22? The ONLY V8 that's rated better (or equal depending on where you get the stat) is the XFE 5.3L... which is only rated to tow 7k lbs.

If it proves to be reliable... it's definitely worth a look. Tough to rule out with the stats presented thus far.

Maybe this'll segway into a stock turbo for the 6.2L in 2500HD trucks to fill the gap between the NA Gas engines and the Diesels... Low end torque is where it's at. I'm happy we're finally starting to break away from these stupid HP wars... I don't care what the engine does at 5k RPM, we use it at 2-4k!

and if you want to see some REALLY Skewed Numbers, Have a Nice Long Look at their Torture Test Episode 4, where they pit a 5.3L Silverado with 3.42 gears against their Ecoboost with a 3.73 Rear Gear! How Lop Sided IS THAT!?!

Are they going to offer it with the 3.73 gears?

If the best gears offered for the 5.3L truck are 3.42s, and the best gears offered for the 3.5L EB are 3.73s, then the test IS fair IMO... they're comparing the "best equipped" trucks... not just the engines.

Now if they bring out a 6.2L with 3.42s instead of 3.73s then i'll raise a red flag there...

Edit: i do wish they used the 6.2L/6spd/3.73 for the test. They probably went with the "best selling" platform though which is the 5.3L. But i wonder where the 3.5L EB will fall in their lineup.... will it be as "rare" as the 6.2L for GM? Time will tell i guess..

Here is the breakdown of gears and tow rating:

4x2 3.15 (tested gear): 8,800 pounds

4x4 3.31: 8,600 lbs

4x2 3.55: 9,800 lbs

4x2/4x4 3.73: 11,300 lbs

Note, that the gear tested is a 3.15 gear...in a (light) 2WD truck. It will tow a MAX of 8,800 pounds.

To tow the highly suspect 11,300 pounds, you would need a 3.73 gear...and your fuel economy will suffer greatly.

and if you want to see some REALLY Skewed Numbers, Have a Nice Long Look at their Torture Test Episode 4, where they pit a 5.3L Silverado with 3.42 gears against their Ecoboost with a 3.73 Rear Gear! How Lop Sided IS THAT!?!

Those ads are hilarious. They prove nothing.

I could pull some sticks around the woods and run through some sand in my truck and it would be fine.

Plus, we know Ford doctors the results so it looks good in the ads...look at their heavy duty shoot out compared to the one that was legit. The Chevy stomped the Sooper Dooty.

These numbers certainly aren't what I was hoping to see.

How would you like your crow? I can sear it...blacken it, flame-kissed, rare, medium, well? I could whip up a gumbo...use the meat in tacos, A soup maybe? How about with bacon and eggs on the side? Crow Benedict?

Are they going to offer it with the 3.73 gears?

If the best gears offered for the 5.3L truck are 3.42s, and the best gears offered for the 3.5L EB are 3.73s, then the test IS fair IMO... they're comparing the "best equipped" trucks... not just the engines.

Now if they bring out a 6.2L with 3.42s instead of 3.73s then i'll raise a red flag there...

Edit: i do wish they used the 6.2L/6spd/3.73 for the test. They probably went with the "best selling" platform though which is the 5.3L. But i wonder where the 3.5L EB will fall in their lineup.... will it be as "rare" as the 6.2L for GM? Time will tell i guess..

Well, According to the Ford Configurator; They DON'T OFFER the EB Yet! but the STANDARD Gear for the Ford IS a 3.73!

All the published EPA ratings i've seen are for the bare bones 2WD trucks from ALL manufacturers.

Does anyone have a list compiled of EPA ratings for these trucks equipped for max tow capacity? That's really what we should be comparing....

Archived