F-150 Twinforce Mileage Released

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#121 kdixer

kdixer

Enthusiast

• 696 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Do they use the same transmissions and OD ratios? Rear ratio is not the full picture.

Transmission ratios are not easily changed. I would say a transmission is essentially designed around the gearing. Even GM's 6l80 and 6l90 has the same gear ratios. The 6l90 is just beefed up more than the 80.

The 4L60 and 4L80 have different gearing. But what does that have to do with anything?

I wasn't sure if Ford developed a trans to be used with the EB or if its the same exact trans as the rest. Not looking for speculation based on what GM has done....

Tow ratings also decrease with higher gears... so maybe Ford couldn't go higher than 3.55 without taking a hit in towing capacity.

Just saying...... its a bit conspiracy theorish to think that every single one of Fords decisions is based around the EB, especially by sacrificing one of their "new" platforms.

It is speculation to assume the ratio's are different jutst to justify your impression of the EB. Jeesh man, it is like you are the only one to allowed have any kind of knowledge about anything. I was simply making the point that either you have a 6l80 (GM) or a 6r80 (ford) or you don't. There are no variations of either one with the exception of the beefed up version. Where the 6l90 is a 6l80 on steroids. I will now bow out to the high and mighty Matt...I have some armchair engineering to do.

Edit:

By the way the 6r80 gearing is so close to the 6l80 it is scary.

Edited by kdixer, 11 January 2011 - 12:15 PM.

The intention of my posts are simply an expression of my personal opinion. If they offend you, let me go ahead and appologize now. If that is not good enough, why do you care what i think? You probably don't even know me anyway.

#122 Matt_

Matt_

Senior Enthusiast

• 5,108 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

:) get off your soap box. I wasn't speculating, I was asking if the trans was the same or not.

The 6l80 and 6l90 having the same gearing had nothing to do with my question. Either the Ecoboost has the same trans or doesn't. I DIDNT KNOW if it did or not, thus I didn't imply that I know everything like you say..... actually the contrary. ... sheesh.
When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
Sig550x200_zpsfce041b6.jpg
2007 Jeep Commander 5.7L Hemi: Pics Here
2008 GMC Sierra Denali AWD (SOLD):Pics Here
2005 1500 Crew Cab. 8" lift w/37s (SOLD): Pics Here

#123 kdixer

kdixer

Enthusiast

• 696 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

Do they use the same transmissions and OD ratios? Rear ratio is not the full picture.

Transmission ratios are not easily changed. I would say a transmission is essentially designed around the gearing. Even GM's 6l80 and 6l90 has the same gear ratios. The 6l90 is just beefed up more than the 80.

The 4L60 and 4L80 have different gearing. But what does that have to do with anything?

I wasn't sure if Ford developed a trans to be used with the EB or if its the same exact trans as the rest. Not looking for speculation based on what GM has done....

Tow ratings also decrease with higher gears... so maybe Ford couldn't go higher than 3.55 without taking a hit in towing capacity.

Just saying...... its a bit conspiracy theorish to think that every single one of Fords decisions is based around the EB, especially by sacrificing one of their "new" platforms.

1st bold print = Sounds like an accusation

2nd bold print = Sounds like speculation...considering GM offers 3.42's with the 6.2 and 6l80. Like I said the gear ratio's are scary close between the 6r80 & 6l80.
The intention of my posts are simply an expression of my personal opinion. If they offend you, let me go ahead and appologize now. If that is not good enough, why do you care what i think? You probably don't even know me anyway.

#124 Matt_

Matt_

Senior Enthusiast

• 5,108 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

...... yeah how about my original question which you were implying to. Does the Ecoboost have the same trans?

What does the comparison of the 6l80 and 6l90 have anything to do with that?

Sorry for upsetting you so much :)
When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
Sig550x200_zpsfce041b6.jpg
2007 Jeep Commander 5.7L Hemi: Pics Here
2008 GMC Sierra Denali AWD (SOLD):Pics Here
2005 1500 Crew Cab. 8" lift w/37s (SOLD): Pics Here

#125 kdixer

kdixer

Enthusiast

• 696 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

...... yeah how about my original question which you were implying to. Does the Ecoboost have the same trans?

What does the comparison of the 6l80 and 6l90 have anything to do with that?

Sorry for upsetting you so much :)

The comparison was just to show how set in stone the gear ratios are within a transmission platform.

"The 2011 Ford F150 receives four new engines and for the first time ever, just a single transmission option in the form of the all-new six-speed automatic transmission."

http://www.ford-truc...n_Features.html

#126 kdixer

kdixer

Enthusiast

• 696 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

another link:

http://www.theautoch.../11/491548.html

sounds like they updated the TCM programming on the existing 6r80 to gain the new features for the 2011's.

#127 kdixer

kdixer

Enthusiast

• 696 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

Ford 6R80
1st - 4.17
2nd - 2.34
3rd - 1.52
4th - 1.14
5th - 0.86
6th - 0.69

GM 6L80
1st - 4.03
2nd - 2.36
3rd - 1.53
4th - 1.15
5th - 0.85
6th - 0.67

#128 Daryl Z71

Daryl Z71

Like A Rock

• 4,663 posts
  • Name:Daryl
  • Drives:2006 Silverado Z71

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

Yeah, the lt1 was a total screw up, thank god they replaced it with the ls1 later on. I mean what were they thinking? Reverse flow water pump running of the timing chain. Pssh. Did the previous setup that was no problem to work on and even was used on the big blocks not cool enough?

Haha yea I have no idea who thought of the setup of that whole engine, but he should have been fired. Same way with the 3.4 V6 that was in the Z34 Monte Carlos. What a POS.

daryl_zps58e67fa8.png

2006 Silverado Z71 - 233,000 Miles and Counting...

#129 kawtoy_77

kawtoy_77

Enthusiast

• 911 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

CAFE increases are coming and the old school V8 is on borrowed time.

The V8 is on borrowed time...so the solution is a V6 that gets the same mileage as a V8? How does that make sense?

SO anything that makes any REAL power is on borrowed time?

Not really. There are plenty of the turbo'd sport cars from the import brands that are quick and still can get respectable mileage and both Ford and GM have done amazing things to get good MPG from the Mustang and Camaro but even then I think the CAFE requirement for cars is supposed to be like 35 MPG in a few years so that means either GM and Ford need to sell lots of normal cars to offset the V8 toys or the American muscle car is going to be something very different than what we're all used to. I don't like it but there isn't much we can do about what's been done.

That is a sports car, and not a truck. A truck will not be as light as a sportscar, and a sportscar never pulls a trailer. The EB still has yet to show actual towing mileage; I could care less what they get going down the road empty. Ford just couldn't get it done with 2 extra cylinders, so now they are subtracting two, and adding two turbos. BFD. It isn't going to fly with me.
Never send a truck, to do a SIERRA's job....
1985 GMC C1500 High Sierra (SCLB)
5.0, headers, duals, Thrush glasspacks, K&N air filter, Edelbrock pro cleaner 14", AR-767 wheels, non-functional hood scoop, and alot of stickers in the back window...SOLD

http://www.gm-trucks...?...em&CID=2341

2007 GMC Sierra (SCLB)
5.3L Flex motor, 2wd, 265/70/17 Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10's, AVS vent guards
http://www.gm-trucks...?...em&CID=2340

www.ridingillini.com (local motorcycle forum) Champaign/Urbana Area

#130 09LowesSilverado

09LowesSilverado

Its Win, Its Awesome, Its Win AND Awesome!

• 1,403 posts
  • Name:Patrick
  • Drives:2009 Cherolet Silverado LT1 4.8 V8

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

I've never owned a Chrysler product of any era. And the new products are an improvement but the fact they still use the old 5 speed and couldn't get the 8 speed they keep talking about in place tells me not much has changed. And what about knocking the JA body (the Stratus/Avenger/200M right?)? It's a joke. From the big name manufacturers I can't think of a worse sedan in that class.

YOU JUST CROSSED THE LINE! I Have A 1998 Plymouth Breeze (A JA Body) That has 211,919 miles on the Odometer, and ITS STILL ON THE ORIGINAL ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION! The JA was VERY INNOVATIVE For the 1990s, It had FULLY INDEPENDENT Suspension, The Trunk space was BEST IN ITS CLASS, and it had DAMN GOOD Gas Mileage! BTW, if you said what you just said on Stratusphere, You would be BANNED VERY QUICKLY.

Edited by 09LowesSilverado, 11 January 2011 - 01:45 PM.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado LT, Imperial Blue Metallic, Light Titanium/Ebony Cloth, 2WD, 4.8 V8
1 of 129 Vehicles of Win and Awesome given to Lowe's Employees
won on March 27th, 2009, Built July 20th, 2009, and Finally Delivered to a Happy dad on August 3rd, 2009 at Alexander Chevrolet Mods: Locking Tailgate Handle, SILVER Retrax Cover, 3" Westin Black Step Bars, DIC Upgrade, Rear Wheelhouse Liners

#131 ChevyTech77

ChevyTech77

GM Master Certified Technician

• 2,697 posts
  • Drives:'11 Silverado ECSB L9H Z71

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

The fact remains that small displacement turbo charged engines are all the rage right now and probably
will be for some time to come. The problem is, Ford and GM are late to that show, shame on them. Playing
catch up usually just leaves you further and further behind but time will tell.

As for JA bodied Chrysler products NOT being garbage?? What rock did you all crawl out from underneith?
I made serious money working on those pieces back in the day.

And as for the new GC, I like them. The woman is a Jeep fan and I offered to trade her '04 GC in on a new
one for her but being as that she is a "saver", she declined.
Chevy tough.
Anytime baby!

Every screw up is an opportunity not to make another one.

#132 ChevyTech77

ChevyTech77

GM Master Certified Technician

• 2,697 posts
  • Drives:'11 Silverado ECSB L9H Z71

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

I've never owned a Chrysler product of any era. And the new products are an improvement but the fact they still use the old 5 speed and couldn't get the 8 speed they keep talking about in place tells me not much has changed. And what about knocking the JA body (the Stratus/Avenger/200M right?)? It's a joke. From the big name manufacturers I can't think of a worse sedan in that class.

YOU JUST CROSSED THE LINE! I Have A 1998 Plymouth Breeze (A JA Body) That has 211,919 miles on the Odometer, and ITS STILL ON THE ORIGINAL ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION! The JA was VERY INNOVATIVE For the 1990s, It had FULLY INDEPENDENT Suspension, The Trunk space was BEST IN ITS CLASS, and it had DAMN GOOD Gas Mileage! BTW, if you said what you just said on Stratusphere, You would be BANNED VERY QUICKLY.

Well, we're not there are we? Might want to take a chill pill dude. That kind of anger will give ya a stroke. Don't
ask me how I know. The 95 Grand Prix that I just got rid of had 264k on the original engine and trans plus it
still got 27 mpg with the 3100 engine so what's your point? PS, the W body GM vehicles had independent rear
suspension in '88.

Edited by ChevyTech77, 11 January 2011 - 01:54 PM.

Chevy tough.
Anytime baby!

Every screw up is an opportunity not to make another one.

#133 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 7,133 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Drives:2011 Silverado 1500

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

That is a sports car, and not a truck. A truck will not be as light as a sportscar, and a sportscar never pulls a trailer. The EB still has yet to show actual towing mileage; I could care less what they get going down the road empty. Ford just couldn't get it done with 2 extra cylinders, so now they are subtracting two, and adding two turbos. BFD. It isn't going to fly with me.

Ford has a bif V8 too so they can "get it done" by the traditional means. I'm hoping what we'll see out of the EB is that is can manage decent MPG pulling a load. For now, no one really knows what sort of numbers it will make so it really isn't worth debating. If it ends up being a pig when loaded/pulling then I'd fully agree it's more of a novelty than a solution- one that could have some serious performance potential with tuning.

Whoa.

Whoa! :)

You sort of proved my point- maybe the JA was innovative in the 90s, I don't know and honestly it doesn't much matter to me. My point was that it has carried on into 2011 with nothing really groundbraking happening- it is the least competitive sedan in it's class by now probably.

And I have zero plans to go start crap on a Stratus forum so don't worry. :nono:

#134 09LowesSilverado

09LowesSilverado

Its Win, Its Awesome, Its Win AND Awesome!

• 1,403 posts
  • Name:Patrick
  • Drives:2009 Cherolet Silverado LT1 4.8 V8

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

Well, we're not there are we? Might want to take a chill pill dude. That kind of anger will give ya a stroke. Don't
ask me how I know. The 95 Grand Prix that I just got rid of had 264k on the original engine and trans plus it
still got 27 mpg with the 3100 engine so what's your point? PS, the W body GM vehicles had independent rear
suspension in '88.

he is trashing a Vehicle he's Probably NEVER Ridden in, that I have Driven for Several Years! and the W-Body is Good, and the A-Body was good as well, even though it had a solid rear axle.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado LT, Imperial Blue Metallic, Light Titanium/Ebony Cloth, 2WD, 4.8 V8
1 of 129 Vehicles of Win and Awesome given to Lowe's Employees
won on March 27th, 2009, Built July 20th, 2009, and Finally Delivered to a Happy dad on August 3rd, 2009 at Alexander Chevrolet Mods: Locking Tailgate Handle, SILVER Retrax Cover, 3" Westin Black Step Bars, DIC Upgrade, Rear Wheelhouse Liners

#135 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 7,133 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Drives:2011 Silverado 1500

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

Didn't I already say I drove an Avenger this summer? Because I did. I had it for like a week while I was working in the Chicago area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users