Intermittent Check Engine Light

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nabromovich

Nabromovich

Enthusiast

• 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

I have an 2000 Sierra 2500 6.0 4x4, that my engine light comes and goes, pulled the code and it gave me, 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 2. So my main question is: Since the engine light isn't always on the sensor could still be good? Maybe the wires are touching something hot? The sensor just needs to be cleaned? Anyway I'm going to get down there and look at it today, just thought that I would ask for some opinions. Oh and also, bank 2 sensor 2 is passenger side, backside right? Thanks in advance
00' Sierra 2500 6.0 4x4
Posted Image

#2 8.1HD/ALLISON

8.1HD/ALLISON

Senior Truck Tweaker

• 2,448 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Drives:04 K2500HD

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

Sensor is on its way out, probably not performing to specs at times. I would go ahead and replace it. Yes o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2 is passenger side, behind the cat.

backhoe6_zps0cfc8c15.jpg
You want fuel economy? Buy a Prius.... I have a big block!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Chevy Silverado K2500 HD CCLB, 8.1L/Allison, 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs,
B&W hitch, Whelen 6 channel strobe lights, Soundoff Signal Mini Light Bar,
Dual Flowmaster Super 44's, BlackBear Tuned, Too much to list,

#3 coloradoSkiCountry

coloradoSkiCountry

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

Yup, it's a heated sensor and the heater is going kablooey. Time to replace the sensor, might as well replace them all while your at it. Costly, but if you plan on holding onto the truck, worth it.
Posted Image

GM- Simply the best, and saying "To Hell with the rest!"

#4 Nabromovich

Nabromovich

Enthusiast

• 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

Ok so I looked at the sensor and it is really rusty. And tried to loosen it but I'm afraid of breaking the the pipe. Any ideas of how to make it a little easier to break it loose. HELP! Thanks in advance

I have an 2000 Sierra 2500 6.0 4x4, that my engine light comes and goes, pulled the code and it gave me, 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 2. So my main question is: Since the engine light isn't always on the sensor could still be good? Maybe the wires are touching something hot? The sensor just needs to be cleaned? Anyway I'm going to get down there and look at it today, just thought that I would ask for some opinions. Oh and also, bank 2 sensor 2 is passenger side, backside right? Thanks in advance

00' Sierra 2500 6.0 4x4
Posted Image

#5 Chris03Silver

Chris03Silver

Enthusiast

• 44 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

if i were you.. this is what i do.. go drive the truck around for like 10 mins or so.. come back home let it run till you get your tools and the o2 sensor socket def. helps.. but make sure you dont touch the exhaust most likely be hot **im sure you know this but you would be surprised!**. and dont forget to make sure there is antiseize on the threads. ive done this countless times and never had one not come out.. i would not sugest using any sort of 12 point socket on the sensor.. only 6 point....

Cheers

Edited by Chris03Silver, 17 January 2011 - 12:07 AM.

#6 Nabromovich

Nabromovich

Enthusiast

• 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

if i were you.. this is what i do.. go drive the truck around for like 10 mins or so.. come back home let it run till you get your tools and the o2 sensor socket def. helps.. but make sure you dont touch the exhaust most likely be hot **im sure you know this but you would be surprised!**. and dont forget to make sure there is antiseize on the threads. ive done this countless times and never had one not come out.. i would not sugest using any sort of 12 point socket on the sensor.. only 6 point....

Cheers

Thanks for the help, I will give it a shot next time the weather lets me. Do you think a little WD40 would be some help?? Thanks again
00' Sierra 2500 6.0 4x4
Posted Image

#7 8.1HD/ALLISON

8.1HD/ALLISON

Senior Truck Tweaker

• 2,448 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Drives:04 K2500HD

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

Some wd-40 wouldn't hurt.

backhoe6_zps0cfc8c15.jpg
You want fuel economy? Buy a Prius.... I have a big block!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Chevy Silverado K2500 HD CCLB, 8.1L/Allison, 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs,
B&W hitch, Whelen 6 channel strobe lights, Soundoff Signal Mini Light Bar,
Dual Flowmaster Super 44's, BlackBear Tuned, Too much to list,

#8 NickV

NickV

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,253 posts
  • Drives:2009 Sierra SLT 4X4

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

Aero Kroil always helps, it's the oil that creeps ;)

WARNING: Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.

2009 Sierra SLT CCSB 5.3/A6 Z71 4X4 HID | Weathertech | Truxedo Lo Pro QT | Passport 8500 | Underhood Storage | HP Tuners | Sprayed Bed Liner | Window Tint | CK951 wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers | Painted Tailgate handle | Full 2" Altitude Adjustment
2003 Silverado LS ECSB 4.8/A4 2WD SOLD HID low/fog | Gibson Shorty Headers | Corsa Touring | Passport 8500 | Sprayed Liner | Billet Grille | HP Tuners | Eaton LSD | 3.73 Gear Swap | Esky Handles | Electric Fans | Center Console Swap | MTX Audio | Denali Cluster

#9 hrspwr

hrspwr

Enthusiast

• 224 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Heat the O2 sensor up with a set of torches. Heat is your best friend when it comes to rusty corroded bolts.
'06 Sierra CCSB 5.3L Z71 - 20" painted silver tahoe wheels Denali HID (retrofited by me) headlights
'86 Camaro IROC 350 Vortec TPI - Few mods, runs 13.302 @ 104mph on a street tire

#10 Nabromovich

Nabromovich

Enthusiast

• 24 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Ok I have been looking into this a little more now and wanted to get your guys thoughts on this: How can I be sure that it is the 02 Sensor? How do I rule out intake or exhaust leaks? Like I said before the Check Engine Light is intermittent, and the code that came up is P0159... just want to check all bases before I repalce anything, there is close to 200,000 miles on it so I hoping it is just the sensor! Thanks Again
00' Sierra 2500 6.0 4x4
Posted Image

#11 Nabromovich

Nabromovich

Enthusiast

• 24 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

Ok I have been looking into this a little more now and wanted to get your guys thoughts on this: How can I be sure that it is the 02 Sensor? How do I rule out intake or exhaust leaks? Like I said before the Check Engine Light is intermittent, and the code that came up is P0157... just want to check all bases before I repalce anything, there is close to 200,000 miles on it so I hoping it is just the sensor! Thanks Again

Switched out the 02 sensor last night and driving to work this morning and the engine light came back on...don't have the code for it but I'm sure it is the same P0157. I did notice that the one I pulled out did NOT look exactly like the new one, I guess there is a chance I got the wrong one from o'reillys, but the box number matched up with the one it said I needed....Any other thoughts??
00' Sierra 2500 6.0 4x4
Posted Image

#12 dlewis1111

dlewis1111

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name:David
  • Drives:2008 Silvefrado

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

Ok I have been looking into this a little more now and wanted to get your guys thoughts on this: How can I be sure that it is the 02 Sensor? How do I rule out intake or exhaust leaks? Like I said before the Check Engine Light is intermittent, and the code that came up is P0157... just want to check all bases before I repalce anything, there is close to 200,000 miles on it so I hoping it is just the sensor! Thanks Again

Switched out the 02 sensor last night and driving to work this morning and the engine light came back on...don't have the code for it but I'm sure it is the same P0157. I did notice that the one I pulled out did NOT look exactly like the new one, I guess there is a chance I got the wrong one from o'reillys, but the box number matched up with the one it said I needed....Any other thoughts??

The cat is bad.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users