Intermittent Check Engine Light

I have an 2000 Sierra 2500 6.0 4x4, that my engine light comes and goes, pulled the code and it gave me, 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 2. So my main question is: Since the engine light isn't always on the sensor could still be good? Maybe the wires are touching something hot? The sensor just needs to be cleaned? Anyway I'm going to get down there and look at it today, just thought that I would ask for some opinions. Oh and also, bank 2 sensor 2 is passenger side, backside right? Thanks in advance

Ok so I looked at the sensor and it is really rusty. And tried to loosen it but I'm afraid of breaking the the pipe. Any ideas of how to make it a little easier to break it loose. HELP! Thanks in advance

I have an 2000 Sierra 2500 6.0 4x4, that my engine light comes and goes, pulled the code and it gave me, 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 2. So my main question is: Since the engine light isn't always on the sensor could still be good? Maybe the wires are touching something hot? The sensor just needs to be cleaned? Anyway I'm going to get down there and look at it today, just thought that I would ask for some opinions. Oh and also, bank 2 sensor 2 is passenger side, backside right? Thanks in advance

if i were you.. this is what i do.. go drive the truck around for like 10 mins or so.. come back home let it run till you get your tools and the o2 sensor socket def. helps.. but make sure you dont touch the exhaust most likely be hot **im sure you know this but you would be surprised!**. and dont forget to make sure there is antiseize on the threads. ive done this countless times and never had one not come out.. i would not sugest using any sort of 12 point socket on the sensor.. only 6 point....

Cheers

if i were you.. this is what i do.. go drive the truck around for like 10 mins or so.. come back home let it run till you get your tools and the o2 sensor socket def. helps.. but make sure you dont touch the exhaust most likely be hot **im sure you know this but you would be surprised!**. and dont forget to make sure there is antiseize on the threads. ive done this countless times and never had one not come out.. i would not sugest using any sort of 12 point socket on the sensor.. only 6 point....

Cheers

Thanks for the help, I will give it a shot next time the weather lets me. Do you think a little WD40 would be some help?? Thanks again

Ok I have been looking into this a little more now and wanted to get your guys thoughts on this: How can I be sure that it is the 02 Sensor? How do I rule out intake or exhaust leaks? Like I said before the Check Engine Light is intermittent, and the code that came up is P0159... just want to check all bases before I repalce anything, there is close to 200,000 miles on it so I hoping it is just the sensor! Thanks Again

Ok I have been looking into this a little more now and wanted to get your guys thoughts on this: How can I be sure that it is the 02 Sensor? How do I rule out intake or exhaust leaks? Like I said before the Check Engine Light is intermittent, and the code that came up is P0157... just want to check all bases before I repalce anything, there is close to 200,000 miles on it so I hoping it is just the sensor! Thanks Again

Switched out the 02 sensor last night and driving to work this morning and the engine light came back on...don't have the code for it but I'm sure it is the same P0157. I did notice that the one I pulled out did NOT look exactly like the new one, I guess there is a chance I got the wrong one from o'reillys, but the box number matched up with the one it said I needed....Any other thoughts??

Ok I have been looking into this a little more now and wanted to get your guys thoughts on this: How can I be sure that it is the 02 Sensor? How do I rule out intake or exhaust leaks? Like I said before the Check Engine Light is intermittent, and the code that came up is P0157... just want to check all bases before I repalce anything, there is close to 200,000 miles on it so I hoping it is just the sensor! Thanks Again

Switched out the 02 sensor last night and driving to work this morning and the engine light came back on...don't have the code for it but I'm sure it is the same P0157. I did notice that the one I pulled out did NOT look exactly like the new one, I guess there is a chance I got the wrong one from o'reillys, but the box number matched up with the one it said I needed....Any other thoughts??

The cat is bad.

Archived