Floor Jack Failure And New Replacement

I almost got killed yesterday when my Larin aluminum floorjack (2-1/2 ton bought from Costco in 2006) failed. I was jacking up the left front under the frame and had it up just high enough to slide the jackstand in. As I was moving the jackstand into position, the jack dropped incredibly fast. Luckily there was no damage to me or the truck. The jack would not work anymore after that. I even followed the directions and tried to bleed the pump and added more jack oil. To me, it is not worth trying to fix it.

I then went on a hunt for a good strong floor jack that could lift my truck safely. I went to Harbor Freight and Sears. They both had 3-ton steel floor jacks for between $80 and $120, but it seemed that the lift height was not that great on them. I then found a Maasdam 3-ton commercial equipment and SUV jack at Home Depot for $49.95. I took it out of the box and was very impressed. It is actually made in the USA and the company makes a ton of heavy duty tools. The jack is very solid and well-made.

I checked their website at www.pullr.com. You can download the catalog off of their website. The jack I have is on page 32. I am also going to buy the MPL-12B bottle jack on page 33 to keep in my truck. The jack that Chevy gives you is scary, even just for changing a tire. My buddy had a horrible experience with his where it began to tilt. It just seems very unstable.

Anyway, just thought I would share this pleasant surprise, finding high-quality stuff made in the USA for a great price! They even have come-alongs and hi-lift style jacks. Their jackstands also have feet on them so they don't dig into the ground. The company also makes Dead-On tools ( I have one of their pry bars) and the Bucket Boss tool carrier. If you are looking for some new tools, check them out!

thank you for this thread..

I have been looking for a new jack since I bought the truck, because the jack height on my old one is too low for the truck (it was designed for my lowered vehicle, not a truck) and I had not found any within what I feel is a resonable price..

I'll be heading to home depot this afternoon never actually thought to look there for one.

thanks again.

I bought this 3.5 ton jack from Northtool for $100 bucks a couple weeks ago. It is low profile and has the highest lifting height I have found.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...45429_200345429

I realize this is an old thread....but i have sears aluminum that is 2 ton, has a roller in front for my 32 ford coupe.....it has a chrome dropped axel. i've had these jacks from sears all my life and built 18 show cars and 5 for other guys.and never HAD ONE COME DOWN.tHIS SOUNDS LIKE HE DIDN'T HAVE THE JACK COMPLETELY LOCKED OF[REVERSE TWIST]I always use stands the miniute the truck is up aways. and a pretty standard lift range is 19"

BTW your jack looks like a good deal to me. JMO

I bought this 3.5 ton jack from Northtool for $100 bucks a couple weeks ago. It is low profile and has the highest lifting height I have found.

I realize this is an old thread....but i have sears aluminum that is 2 ton, has a roller in front for my 32 ford coupe.....it has a chrome dropped axel. i've had these jacks from sears all my life and built 18 show cars and 5 for other guys.and never HAD ONE COME DOWN.tHIS SOUNDS LIKE HE DIDN'T HAVE THE JACK COMPLETELY LOCKED OF[REVERSE TWIST]I always use stands the miniute the truck is up aways. and a pretty standard lift range is 19"

lol the thread is only 2 days old...

It was definitely locked down completely. And something definitely failed because it will no longer pump. It seems that the hydraulic part failed, whether it is a seal or a hard part I do not know. And the jack was under the truck only for a few seconds as I was manuevering the jackstand into place.

The jack from Northern Tool looks like a good service jack, but I noticed there is also an Arcan #ALJ2T 2-ton aluminum jack sold there as well. My jack is labeled a "Larin ALJ2D" 2.5 ton jack. Interestingly, Larin's website does not list this jack, but it looks 100% like the Arcan one. I wonder if the companies are related and why the 2.5 ton aluminum is no longer listed. I will complain to Costco and see if they will refund my money, though I have to track down the receipt and I bought the jack a while ago.

I wouldn't feel save about lifting the front of my truck with a 2 ton jack (4000 pounds) and putting it on jack stands.

• 2 weeks later...
Bought this jack at home depot but it would never go high enough for me, so I had to rework it abitt :)

Did you do the math and figure out how much that reduced the lift capacity of the jack? A quick guess would be half the capacity now.

Archived