Floor Jack Failure And New Replacement

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I bought the new jack for the truck, I ordered the rebuild kit from Larin for $10. I will report back on how the rebuild goes and what the pump looks like (quality, condition, etc). I can always use this jack on my wife's car.

I also found a place online that has 100% made-in-USA jacks and even rebuilds other jacks:

http://www.phjjacks.com/merchant/merchant....gory_Code=PHJFJ

Their 3-ton jacks are under $200. they also sell reconditioned Hein-Warner and OTC stuff as well.

I was shocked to find out that all Craftsman and Snap-On jacks are now made in China!!! My father's Sears jack from the late 60's (made in USA) is still going strong!

The saying is true.......they don't make 'em like they used to......

I bought one at autozone and it failed the first time I used it. Went to jack up my 03 to rotate tires and it basically folded over on itself:

DSCF0010-1.jpg

DSCF0009-1.jpg

DSCF0008-1.jpg

I didn't realize how cheesy and thin the metal was when I bought it but regardless this is why I stopped buying tools made in china.

I bought one at autozone and it failed the first time I used it. Went to jack up my 03 to rotate tires and it basically folded over on itself:

I didn't realize how cheesy and thin the metal was when I bought it but regardless this is why I stopped buying tools made in china.

Damn, that is scary! What brand was the jack and how many tons was it rated for? I wish it was easy to buy American, but these days it seems American-made stuff is hard to find: http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

It was some no-name brand and if memory serves the box said it was a 5000 pound jack. It was a time when I was short on money and I didn't really expect the jack to be an excellent tool, but I thought I'd at least be able to use it! :lol:

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but my AC-Delco floor jack may be in need of replacement. I tried to use it tonight and it'll lift, but won't release. Has anyone bought any jacks recently that they'd recommend? I have a number of solid stands, but I need to have a good jack to get setup.

Let me throw in my experience to hopefully reset those saying "I never had a problem". I had a 3 ton fairly expensive floor jack for at least 10 years and never had one problem with it. Fortunately for me, my dad instilled in me to never even stick my body or head under the vehicle to set the jack stands.

I jacked up my 98 K1500 at one corner. Turned around to get the jack stand and heard a big bang and the floor jack shot past me.

Later I disassembled the jack and found the cylinder had split down the length causing the jack to drop instantly.

Another time I had a metal ramp just collapse when I drove up it.

I always use multiple jack stands. Never trust your life to just one support device and don't count the jack as even one.

Honestly, there are virtually no good jack manufacturers left anymore. As far as I am aware, no jacks available today are made in the U.S.A. It might be assembled in the U.S.A, but with global parts.

I have an OTC jack that I use. It is as heavy duty as I could find in today's market, from a reputable name.

http://www.otctools.com/products/two-speed-3-12-ton-service-jack

Honestly, I am more comfortable with bottle jacks or air bag jacks than the hydraulic stuff on the market today. Consumers did this to themselves. People have always complained that they want cheaper and cheaper prices on goods. Well, the goods themselves are going to go down in quality when you want a cheaper price. So, the population itself is to blame for all of the cheap junk out there.

As always, do your research, spend the big dollars if it's needed, but buy QUALITY.

• 1 month later...

I have an old 2 stage Walker Jack from the 60's that was used at a Chevron Service station during the 60'-80's I rebuilt it and works a helluva lot better than this Crap that's made today. The thing about today's tools is they are throw away and basically not serviceable.

RT

Archived