High Beam Indicator Light Is Too Bright

For some reason the high beam indicator light on my guage cluster seems to be a little too bright. I dont remember my 06 being that bright. In fact, I think it was a softer green light. Is there any way to make this light less intense? Or maybe change the color? Blue is actually the most glaring color in the spectrum. Why did GM settle on Blue? Its my favorite color, but I learned a long time ago, blue lights in the dark arent a good idea for my eyes.

Because every highbeam indicator I've ever seen in my entire life is blue? I've rented 20-25 cars a year for the past 4 years now so I've got quite a sizable test pool. :confused: Green might of been either foglamps or some HD trucks had a green light to alert you that the lights were off. Short of pulling the dash to see what sort of bulb is in there I can't offer any good advice, sorry.

There was a bulletin years back on the high-beam indicator being too bright,They issued a reprogramming on the I/P cluster to dim it down.

I'll have to try and find it.

I found it *BUT*.......Its only for the '03 model-year...

#03-08-49-006: IP Cluster High Beam Indicator Too Bright (Reprogram IPC) - (May 15, 2003)

Subject: IP Cluster High Beam Indicator too Bright (Reprogram IPC)

Models: 2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2003 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

Condition:

Some customers may comment that the IP cluster high beam indicator lamp is too bright.

Correction:

To reduce the high beam indicator intensity level, reprogram the IPC with the service calibration that was available from Techline on the TIS2000 version 4.5 or later for 2003. This calibration is an electronic calibration and is not available from GMSPO.

And blue retains night vision better than others which is why they are used on submarines.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_purp..._in_a_submarine

Hmmm, I always thought that red lights retained night vision better. Isnt that why the military uses little red flashlights to read maps and stuff?

I had a college profassor that was an active reservist and he had his camping van all decked out in red LEDs because "it helps keep night vision" according to him.

Im gonna call the dealership tomorrow and see if I cant get them to fix it anyway. Is that like a recall or something that will be a free fix or will I have to pay for it?

If the dealer can't help you, a quick fix is to stick a clear little bumper (like for cupboard doors) right over the light. It diffuses the light so it is not as bright on the eyes but still allows for the light to be seen. I had to do that on my daughters 2003 Vibe for the blinker indicator lights and high beam indicator and it works pretty good.

Im gonna call the dealership tomorrow and see if I cant get them to fix it anyway. Is that like a recall or something that will be a free fix or will I have to pay for it?

No,It is not a recall,Its a TSB,You would have to pay for it.

But remember the TSB is for the '03 model-year,It does not apply to your '05,so they may not be able to do anything.

No,It is not a recall,Its a TSB,You would have to pay for it.

But remember the TSB is for the '03 model-year,It does not apply to your '05,so they may not be able to do anything.

Yeah, but to ask would be free. :confused:

And blue retains night vision better than others which is why they are used on submarines.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_purp..._in_a_submarine

They also use blue light on snowplows as there are easier to see at night, from a distance, and through snow

Thats probably because blue light is more intense and glaring at night. Ive got a flashlight with blue LEDs and white LEDs. Its supposed to be to retain night vision, but the blue make me blind in the darkeness worse than the white.

To the OP, the only solution that I can think of i good ol' electric tape! On another note, do the indicators not dim when you dim down the instrument panel? I think they do on mine, at least a bit anyway.

Nope, I tried that and my dash lights can be off, and I sitll have a glaring blue headlight symbol glaring at me.

• 1 month later...

I came up with a fix, I think. I removed the cluster, and popped off the top portion with the clear lense attached. Then I peeled the face sheet back. I had heard of people putting some self adhesive window tint on it, but I didnt have any. SO, I looked around and found a Sharpie Magnum. One of those huge markers with the wedge shaped tip. I just colored over the back side of the face sheet where the high beam indicator shines through. Its not perfect, but I think it works pretty good. im thinking it would be better with window tint though since the marker leaves little lines of light and dark and isnt an even cover.

I have a niggling complaint, somewhat related, but a little off topic. For some reason, the dashboard dimmer dial does not dim the light on the dashboard panel beyond a specified amount. It is unclear to me why I cannot dim the dash lights further. Is this commonplace in GMT 900s, or is my situation unique?

Archived