2007 Silverado Windshield Replacement And Now Rainsense Doesn't Wo

xTooltipElement

Service Information 2007 Chevrolet Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado VIN C/K Service Manual | Document ID: 2042759

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#06-08-43-004B: Windshield Wiper Rainsense Sensor and Lens - Components Serviced Separately - (Dec 5, 2007)

Subject: Windshield Wiper Rainsense™ Sensor and Lens -- Components Serviced Separately

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

with Wiper System Windshield, Pulse, Moisture Sensitive (Rainsense™) (RPO CE1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the information regarding Windshield Replacement and add a procedure for replacing the complete sensor. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-43-004A (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

The purpose of this bulletin is to advise the dealer service personnel that the Rainsense™ sensor and lens should be serviced separately. Follow the appropriate service procedure below when servicing the sensor or lens.

Moisture Sensing Feature Inoperative

Review the description and operation of the moisture sensitive wipers. Refer to Wiper/Washer System Description and Operation in SI. This is a new system for some of the vehicle applications. Some customers may not understand the DELAY positions on the wiper/washer switch, which are used to activate the AUTOMATIC rain sensing operating mode. The DELAY positions are also used to adjust the level of sensitivity to moisture accumulation, which determines the dwell time for commanding a wiper motor wipe cycle.

• If you do NOT find a fault in the system operation, please refer customers to Rainsense™ II Wipers in the Owner Manual for information for this system.

• If you do confirm a fault in the system operation, inspect the uniformity of the silicon gel linking the sensor to the windshield.

1. If the silicon gel is distorted in any way or is not present at all, replace the lens only. Refer to Windshield Outside Moisture Sensor Lens Replacement in SI.

2. If the gel is intact, replace the complete sensor assembly by referring to windshield outside moisture sensor replacement listed below.

Windshield Outside Moisture Sensor--Replacement

If replacing the sensor assembly, P/N 10377520, use the following steps:

Gently pry the trim cover outward in order to remove the cover from the rain sensor module.

Disconnect the electrical connector.

Disengage the two metal retaining clips from the mounting bracket on the windshield.

Remove the entire sensor from the windshield including the gel.

Remove the old conductive gel residue from the windshield.

Clean the area of the windshield that contacts the windshield moisture sensor lens with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water by volume on a dampened lint free cloth.

Remove the plastic protective covering from the lens of the new sensor.

Position and install the moisture sensor back onto the windshield bracket.

Engage the two metal retaining clips to the mounting bracket on the windshield.

Connect the electrical cover.

Secure the rain sensor module trim cover.

Windshield Replacement--Replace Lens Only

If it is necessary to replace the vehicle's windshield, a new moisture sensitive lens, P/N 15829099, will need to be ordered with the new windshield. Replace the lens from the old sensor with the new moisture sensitive lens. Then remove the plastic protective covering from the new lens and install the sensor to the new windshield. Refer to Windshield Outside Moisture Sensor Lens Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Sensor, W/S O/S Moisture Sensitive

Lens, W/S O/S Moisture Sensitive (Includes Silicon Gel)

rainsense = nonsense in my book. Do you really need some dumb sensor to decide for you whether you need to turn on windshield wipers or not? :smash:

I know I will get attacked for this comment, but some options are really nonsensical in my opinion, and this is one of them. But if you already have the option, it is supposed to work right.

rainsense = nonsense in my book. Do you really need some dumb sensor to decide for you whether you need to turn on windshield wipers or not? :smash:

I know I will get attacked for this comment, but some options are really nonsensical in my opinion, and this is one of them. But if you already have the option, it is supposed to work right.

I kinda' agree with you Pete,The delay,or "intermittent" wiper system is good enough for me :fume:

I have rainsense wipers on my CTS, I like it. It usually works as you'd expect. I guess I'll find out if I miss it when my truck comes in!

Look, all I asked was for some help. I don't need your stupid opinion on the system or not. I could really care less about the system, but now I have no intermittent wiper settings. Only low and hi. I'm just pissed this stupid windshield repair place has no clue what to do!

I had the same problem after replacing my windshield on a 2009 Chevy Suburban and had to take it into the dealer who replaced the rain sensor component. Now it seems overly aggressive and wipes too soon at the lowest speed, but at least it works again. Good luck.

• 3 months later...

I just bought an 07 Yukon XL and the rainsensor doesn't work. The windshield was replaced before I bought it.

I took the sensor and the gel out (based on the info from MS3Dale above) to see if there was anything obvious, cleaned things up and put it all back. Still doesn't work.

Called the local GMC dealer this morning and got a price of $355 for the sensor and $145 for the gel. I just about fell out of my chair. This is Canada of course, but never expected this. :sigh:

Has anybody found a secondary source for this stuff or are we stuck with paying dealer prices?

Is there any way of testing the sensor to see if it is good?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Scott

When we had the windshield replaced in the 2008 Yukon XL Denali with rainsense, we talked to the windshield place before we had it done and made sure they knew it had that feature and it needed to work after they put the new windshield in. they were well aware of it and had no problem. it worked better after new windshield than before...

Mine is disabled. Just unplug it from the sensor. I couldn't stand it with rain-x. It was on too frequently.

When we had the windshield replaced in the 2008 Yukon XL Denali with rainsense, we talked to the windshield place before we had it done and made sure they knew it had that feature and it needed to work after they put the new windshield in. they were well aware of it and had no problem. it worked better after new windshield than before...

Archived