01 Gmc 2500 Transmission Problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt_T

Kurt_T

Enthusiast

• 300 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

I have a 2001 Gmc Sierra 2500HD 4x4 w/ the 8.1L and Allison tranny it just rolled 50K miles and as i was plowing today i shifted as usual from forward to reverse when i was at a complete stop i herd a loud clunk (considering the transmission is silent when it usually shifts) and the truck jerked as it locked into reverse where it would usually just lock smoothly into reverse i finished up the plowing job taking it real easy but the truck would still clunk and jerk forward when shifted into drive and backward when shifted into reverse. I also noticed on the dash the little gear indicator would blink and not lock into a solid state unless it was in Park or 3 and my Service Engine Soon Light came on too.

I would like to know if i have any serious transmission issue or if its something more simple like a solenoid? do i need a complete rebuild or just something simple?

Thanks i would really appreciate any sort of helpful advise or answer

-Kurt
Posted Image

#2 Mike G

Mike G

What do you mean you can buy colors????

• 607 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

I'm no expert on the Ally, but it sounds like a reverse pack or solenoid went. Stop by a parts store and have them pull the SES code.
06 2500HD Crew Shorty 4x with the 6.6 LBZ turbo diesel beast and 6 Speed Ally
02 Avalanche (wife's driver)--Front leveled and 285s look sweet!
92 GMC K1500 Z71--Refreshed warmed 5.7L at 190K (sold 5/5/11 to an excited neighbor)
(02 F350 Crew Dually 7.3L PS Diesel - the #1 sons)

Dirt Bike-Street Bike-Two classic vehicles-5.7l Boat-32 Ft 5th wheel-Too much other stuff to fit in my sig

White truck club member? - I own it....

#3 djmercer1

djmercer1

Enthusiast

• 91 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

I have a 2001 Gmc Sierra 2500HD 4x4 w/ the 8.1L and Allison tranny it just rolled 50K miles and as i was plowing today i shifted as usual from forward to reverse when i was at a complete stop i herd a loud clunk (considering the transmission is silent when it usually shifts) and the truck jerked as it locked into reverse where it would usually just lock smoothly into reverse i finished up the plowing job taking it real easy but the truck would still clunk and jerk forward when shifted into drive and backward when shifted into reverse. I also noticed on the dash the little gear indicator would blink and not lock into a solid state unless it was in Park or 3 and my Service Engine Soon Light came on too.

I would like to know if i have any serious transmission issue or if its something more simple like a solenoid? do i need a complete rebuild or just something simple?

Thanks i would really appreciate any sort of helpful advise or answer

-Kurt

First thing to check is the neutral safety backup switch.

#4 dewfpo

dewfpo

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous

• 1,774 posts
  • Drives:2005 Silverado 2500HD, CCSB

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

X2.

DEWFPO
2005 Silverado 2500HD, CC SB, 4x4, 8.1L/Allison, 4.10's, Locker, Dual Batteries, 145 Amp alt., Bilsteins
Retrax Rolling Tonneau, Putco SS/Chrome Side Rails, Bushwacker Bed Rail Protectors,Husky Floor Liners

#5 Kurt_T

Kurt_T

Enthusiast

• 300 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

X2.

DEWFPO

weird i didnt do anything and the day after i tried to drive it again but nothing went wrong... my dad said he went to advance auto and had the guy clear the codes and its been fine.... but is it really fine?
Posted Image

#6 Mike G

Mike G

What do you mean you can buy colors????

• 607 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

What was the code they cleared?
06 2500HD Crew Shorty 4x with the 6.6 LBZ turbo diesel beast and 6 Speed Ally
02 Avalanche (wife's driver)--Front leveled and 285s look sweet!
92 GMC K1500 Z71--Refreshed warmed 5.7L at 190K (sold 5/5/11 to an excited neighbor)
(02 F350 Crew Dually 7.3L PS Diesel - the #1 sons)

Dirt Bike-Street Bike-Two classic vehicles-5.7l Boat-32 Ft 5th wheel-Too much other stuff to fit in my sig

White truck club member? - I own it....

#7 djmercer1

djmercer1

Enthusiast

• 91 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:46 PM

X2.

DEWFPO

weird i didnt do anything and the day after i tried to drive it again but nothing went wrong... my dad said he went to advance auto and had the guy clear the codes and its been fine.... but is it really fine?

thats typical nsbu behavior when it starts geting bad. any chance the underside of the truck was wet when it acted up?

very common failure and a cheap fix...

#8 Kurt_T

Kurt_T

Enthusiast

• 300 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

X2.

DEWFPO

thats typical nsbu behavior when it starts geting bad. any chance the underside of the truck was wet when it acted up?

very common failure and a cheap fix...

yeah i was plowing so it was real wet! lol thanks this is the kinda info i wanted to hear somthing that doesnt just have to do with codes... people never useto have codes to diagnose a problem anyway the codes are

P0700

P1713

P0700

the code PO700 appeared twice idk why?
Posted Image

#9 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,845 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

...... people never use to have codes to diagnose a problem anyway the codes are

P0700

P1713

P0700

Because vehicles didn't have all the electronic sensors and hardware like they do now....

Now you can think you have a trans problem when it is really related to a MAF sensor

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#10 djmercer1

djmercer1

Enthusiast

• 91 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

...... people never use to have codes to diagnose a problem anyway the codes are

P0700

P1713

P0700

Because vehicles didn't have all the electronic sensors and hardware like they do now....

Now you can think you have a trans problem when it is really related to a MAF sensor

dont know why the p0700 appeared twice, possibly 2 codes in the tcm(someone else will know)?? there are more codes to be read though, the p0700 is a generic code set as a result of a request of the tcm, need a different code reader to get the tcm codes, i dont know which readers read individual modules....

if memory serves, i think some trucks also had issues while plowing of getting snow/ice/water into the air intake and that set maf codes...

#11 ChevyTech77

ChevyTech77

GM Master Certified Technician

• 2,697 posts
  • Drives:'11 Silverado ECSB L9H Z71

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

Didn't know there were two posts in two different forums for the same truck with the same concern.

I replied in your other thread.
Chevy tough.
Anytime baby!

Every screw up is an opportunity not to make another one.

#12 Kurt_T

Kurt_T

Enthusiast

• 300 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

http://www.gm-trucks...p;#entry1123385

most likely the best answer to my question....
Posted Image

#13 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,608 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

we already fixed this for him in 2 other threads
How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#14 Kurt_T

Kurt_T

Enthusiast

• 300 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

we already fixed this for him in 2 other threads

actually to be fair Rob your post was equally as good his just included the "wetness factor" and that the trucks left tire can kick stuff up right onto the censor which probably happened and im guessing thats why i had the problem i had cause all i needed was the codes cleared so far.... but i do still think im going to have a professional take a quick looksee
Posted Image

#15 8.1HD/ALLISON

8.1HD/ALLISON

Senior Truck Tweaker

• 2,467 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Drives:04 K2500HD

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

Didn't know there were two posts in two different forums for the same truck with the same concern.

I replied in your other thread.

+1

backhoe6_zps0cfc8c15.jpg
You want fuel economy? Buy a Prius.... I have a big block!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Chevy Silverado K2500 HD CCLB, 8.1L/Allison, 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs,
B&W hitch, Whelen 6 channel strobe lights, Soundoff Signal Mini Light Bar,
Dual Flowmaster Super 44's, BlackBear Tuned, Too much to list,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users