Ft. Wayne Assembly Plant

Was reading about the assembly process at the Ft. Wayne plant where they build regular cab and extended cab models (20% regular cabs vs. 80% extended cabs) and found it quite interesting. One can Google Ft. Wayne Assembly Plant and come up with the websites and yes, I was bored today. They said it takes about 24 hours to paint and assemble each new truck but at full capacity a new truck comes off the assembly line every minute. Also read that the suppliers for the seats work so closely with the assembly plant that the seats for each truck at built about 3 hours before they are needed at the Ft. Wayne plant. In December at least they were still running 3 shifts (but just barely justifying it) but wonder about that now.

Its call JIT manufacturing (just in time)

Large scale logistics fascinates the hell out of me. A couple years ago I took a tour of the plant where the F-150 was made (it was the first hit that came up on Google for a plant tour) and it was wild to see the process firsthand. The Rouge Plant tour also has a lot of history in it too which was neat.

I didn't notice the normal sea of trucks the last time I drove by that plant. I wasn't really paying that much attention either, but it hit me when I read the comment about sales slowing. In a selfish way, I hope it's true. I just ordered one this week and don't really want to wait 8 weeks it.

I didn't notice the normal sea of trucks the last time I drove by that plant. I wasn't really paying that much attention either, but it hit me when I read the comment about sales slowing. In a selfish way, I hope it's true. I just ordered one this week and don't really want to wait 8 weeks it.

I'll be okay with that and gas climbing if it means I can get my truck this spring for a good deal. Of course, after that our economy can recover overnight. :thumbs:

I'll be okay with that and gas climbing if it means I can get my truck this spring for a good deal. Of course, after that our economy can recover overnight. :thumbs:

the economy will not recover until the moment before I sign for a new truck.the price of the truck will magically jump without me noticing.

by the way, I will not be in the market for a new truck for several years. hang on to your hat.

Larry

The crewcabs are not and never were built in fort wayne.

Crewcabs are built in Mexico and now Michigan. The vin number will tell if it was built in the US or Mexico.

Crewcabs are built in Mexico and now Michigan. The vin number will tell if it was built in the US or Mexico.

My cc was built in Oshawa, Ontario ;) LOL

Mine too.

Mine too.

Didnt that plant shut down?

Archived