Arizona?

Mattallica

any members from the Tempe/Chandler/Gilbert area ?

I have an uncle that moved out to AZ a few years back...absolutely loves it.

I'm thinking of joining him with the family from crusty old upstate NY....looking at taking a visit ,checking out the Gilbert/Chandler area?

I have a wife and 3 kids...17/14/9 and obviously the environment for kids is a concern.I have a decent lead on employment if I go that way.

Just curious what current residents might offer as advise/tips etc,..

I grew up in that exact area, great place! There a re a few members from that area also on the board.

Out of 6 kids in my family 4 still call it there home because it is a nice place. The other two of us are military and both plan on moving back after service. You would not regret it.

thats good to hear!!

I work as a general contractor here in NY.....cant get enough business to carry the 5-6 months of winter/ off season weather.

Also have a background in auto body...but with the cold...its the same story...anything I could do is a temperature issue for too long during the cold months.

I have a potential job lead in construction/remodelling work in AZ...and my uncle who I apprenticed under (in his body shop) lives in Tempe right now, might be able to help me get a shop up and running eventually.

weather channel says its 70 and sunny there today...I woke up to -21* this morning...with a high of 8????

WHY AM I STILL HERE!!!!!!

Anyhow... I've been looking at property in Gilbert/Tempe/Chandler/some of Mesa.

would like something with a little space for a backyard etc,..and not necessarily right on top of my neighbors.

Any suggestions?

How about the schools...decent ones ?

Are there vocational schools in the area for high school students?

I see new construction in Queen Creek,but I think thats getting a little further away from where I would want to be...but hows that area?

Any problems with gangs in any of these areas?

Downtown Chandler has some gangs but only in "old town".

Rest of Chandler is good

Voc Schools- UTI's main campus is in Phoenix.

Tempe is a bit $$$$$$ and is home of ASU so a big college crown.

Gilbert is more old farm land and citrus groves that have been plowed to build new houses. I used to ride for about 40 miles without seeing anything on the dirt bikes but now it is all malls and shopping. :smash:

Look at Higley, that is where my sister lives and it is GREAT! Good schools and people are super cool. Lots of lifted 4X4's in the area and great offroading a few minutes in the Superstition Mountains.

Higley...got it...thanks for the info...trying to convince the wife ...shes 42 and lived in this house in Saratga NY since she was 2yrs old...may be like trying to uproot a tree with my barehands!!LOL

But this information certainly helps out!!

If you live in NY state make a trip out there right now, take your golf clubs and shorts, it just depends on what you like to do, when I was made to move out there my dad took me to the drag races way back when and in January when I ran around in a tee shirt at the races I was sold and never looked back. Lived there year round for a little over 10 years. :jester:

yeah.. think if she gets to see it she will have more ineterest...shes not opposed to the idea..but it will be a different story when I set sail in a few weeks.

My cocnern is making a smooth transition for everybody involved....she talks to friends here and they tell her 'oh its not safe there,they have gangs....they have to put alarms in their houses'...blah blah blah.

I went to LA years ago...had relatives in Watts...I being the white boy in the family...did not feel safe to say the least...but last year we went back..and it was alot different....still not some place I would move...but even that has changed.

I realize there are always unsafe elements/places in any area....and thats why I asked for input.

I was there 2 yrs ago when my uncle lived in Mesa...was pretty amazing to not be frozen all the time.

He has severely bad back and cancer,and said his back is probably 80% better due to the climate...seeing how my back is headed the same direction...I figure why wait!!

I'm not into golf....theres enough aggravation in life already.....but theres other attractions that I can enjoy.

Dry southwest air has been known for a long time for its health properties.

As you said every place has its bad parts. Would you not have problems in NYC like having to get an alarm for your house?

I lived there for 19 years and never had an alarm or issue. Lived in South Phoenix for a few years that compares to Compton of old and still no problems if you arent looking for them.

East Valley "as they call it" would be a great fresh start for the family and if you have work lined up even better. Houses are cheap again after they kicked all the Clifornia folks out that tried to buy everything up.

New law in AZ is you have to phyiscally live in the house for a few years before you can even rent it out. That fixed most issues with house prices and inflation.

Hope you can make a good choice for your family and dont look back. #1 reason I love the military is the constant change of scenery.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I live in Gilbert, have for about 15 years. I love it here, even though it kinda sucks in the middle of summer. As in any city there are dangerous places to be but it's pretty easy to tell when you are somewhere where you shouldn't be. Housing is pretty cheap right now so that's a good thing, but the jobs are pretty soft too.

• 4 weeks later...

stay away from flagstaff,its waaay too evspensive to live here.Its a real nice place to visit but thats it.alot of southern az people come up here in the summer to get away from the heat,and in the winter to play in the snow.i'm paying $1080 a month in rent just for a 2br apt.i really want to move south of here

stay away from flagstaff,its waaay too evspensive to live here.Its a real nice place to visit but thats it.alot of southern az people come up here in the summer to get away from the heat,and in the winter to play in the snow.i'm paying $1080 a month in rent just for a 2br apt.i really want to move south of here

Tucson isn't too bad for $$$ or the heat. Of course it gets hot in the summer but not like Phoenix. I dread going there in the summer and don't unless I have to. It's like going to the sun.

• 2 years later...

Visiting Mesa from Canada. Can any of you tell me if there are any self car washes in Mesa that have hot or warm water? Coming down here I drove on some nasty mountain pass roads and cold water does not get that stuff off very well. Any I have tried on previous visits all have cold water.

Thanks for any help!

Mesa is outside Phoenix and I know there are auto car washes but cant comment on the temp. Every time I have gone there it has been hotter than hell

Thanks Chris,

Yeah I have used a few different ones here but they all use cold water. Not so good for getting that road film off from salted roads. Anyways I am off to the wash. Gotta get my baby looking good! ahhahaha

Archived