Locking Rear End

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 C. Wilder

C. Wilder

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

I don't really like the way the limited slip works on my 1999 Silverado 4x4. I have been looking aftermarket for something a little more "posi-trac". I came upon Lockrite. Does anyone have experience with them or know anything about the product? I want to change the way it works now. Is there another product that works well?

#2 2001Silverado364

2001Silverado364

Two Tone.

• 3,958 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Drives:The LQ4

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

I'd recomend a tru trac, but that's just me.

#3 henrythomas

henrythomas

Enthusiast

• 87 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

whats the difference between lockrite and tru trac? i friend of mine also recommended me lockrite cause thats what he has in his grand cherokee.. he says its a mechanic locking differential.. you hit the gas it locks both wheels.. so when driving in highway he says you need to let go the gas when in a curve or you will spin out... is it true? how does tru trac works?

#4 2001Silverado364

2001Silverado364

Two Tone.

• 3,958 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

Here's a video that might explain it better than I can. video

Edited by 2001Silverado364, 25 January 2011 - 07:44 PM.

#5 clemsonblozz

clemsonblozz

Enthusiast

• 209 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

If you have a G80 locker,,, it's working correctly,, and you don't like it,,,, you sir are not an american :jester:!

#6 Rod R

Rod R

Enthusiast

• 778 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

please explain what that comment means....

btw... my G80 works just fine and I would not want another truck without a G80 ... but maybe that has something to do with how I use it and what my expectations are

If you have a G80 locker,,, it's working correctly,, and you don't like it,,,, you sir are not an american :jester: !

Edited by Rod R, 25 January 2011 - 08:25 PM.

Rod Ramage, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan CANADA
1997 Chevrolet Cheyenne C2500 xcsb w/ 5.7L Vortec & 4L60E; 3.73 gears w/ G80 (231,000 km)

#7 2001Silverado364

2001Silverado364

Two Tone.

• 3,958 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

That statement just shows how little you know about the g80 and it's design.

#8 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,896 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Drives:2011 Silverado 1500

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:57 AM

whats the difference between lockrite and tru trac? i friend of mine also recommended me lockrite cause thats what he has in his grand cherokee.. he says its a mechanic locking differential.. you hit the gas it locks both wheels.. so when driving in highway he says you need to let go the gas when in a curve or you will spin out... is it true? how does tru trac works?

Unless you're planning on doing some serious offroading you don't want a true mechanical locker, it will compromise day to day driving too much. The trutrac or any after market limited slip will function much better than anything anyone offers from the factory.

#9 mkimber

mkimber

Enthusiast

• 86 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

I've had a truetrac on my 2wd pickup for 3 years and love it. The best mod I've done.

'12 GMC Yukon XL

#10 Sly

Sly

Enthusiast

• 278 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

True trac or Auburn would be my recommendation.

http://www.eaton.com...etrac/index.htm

http://www.auburngea...0f-1b8a333d16ef

Edited by Sly, 26 January 2011 - 08:33 AM.

'02 Yukon XL Denali Garnet Red, K&N FIPK, Corsa Touring Catback, Hypertech Programmer, 160* Tstat, Arnott/Bilstein rear shocks, Powerslot rotors with Thermoquiet ceramic pads up front, stock rotors with Akebono ceramic pads on rear, Corvette Servo,Superior Billet Super Servo 4th apply piston with cover, DDM 6000K 55W HIDs, Clear parking/turn signals, LED Tail lights, Silverstar Amber Daytime Running lights, Optima Red Top, 5% Tint all around, Luggage rack removed, Escalade vent caps, Escalade gauge cluster, Blendmount Valentine One radar detector mount.

#11 chas0218

chas0218

Enthusiast

• 187 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

The lock right is a mechanical locker and locks when there is forward pressure from the axel. So from a dead stop you hit the gas to accelerate and turn the corner without releasing the gas your differential will remain locked and cause tires to wear un-evenly and also cause them to chirp/squeal. in order to release the locking mechanism you must let off the accelerator.

I assume the reason why you were looking at the lock right was because it was cheap.

You want a Limited slip differential or you will eat tires and create more drivetrain strain which causes premature wear of parts. If you want the best limited slip go with a Eaton.

#12 NickV

NickV

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,253 posts
  • Drives:2009 Sierra SLT 4X4

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

The lock right is a mechanical locker and locks when there is forward pressure from the axel. So from a dead stop you hit the gas to accelerate and turn the corner without releasing the gas your differential will remain locked and cause tires to wear un-evenly and also cause them to chirp/squeal. in order to release the locking mechanism you must let off the accelerator.

I assume the reason why you were looking at the lock right was because it was cheap.

You want a Limited slip differential or you will eat tires and create more drivetrain strain which causes premature wear of parts. If you want the best limited slip go with a Eaton.

this man speaks the truth.

in my 2003 2wd:
I bought it with an open differential, I installed a Powertrax No Slip (similar to the Lockright).
It was ANNOYING - it made a bunch of racket and was jerky, didn't always unlock when it was supposed to and locked sometimes when I didn't want it to (pulling out in traffic and turning at the same time would chirp the tires at anything above idle).
I pulled the Powertrax and installed a Eaton Limited Slip Differential (LSD) The LSD was silent and SMOOOOOTH. It kept traction and gave me no problems and was an absolute pleasure to drive.

I now have a G80 in my current truck. I have no plans to pull it, it's not as smooth as the LSD, but it gets the job done well enough.

I have a friend that also went from a G80 (after he broke the 2nd one) to a Tru Trac, he was very satisfied with it. Driving it I couldn't tell when it was active, very similar to the Eaton LSD.

WARNING: Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.

2009 Sierra SLT CCSB 5.3/A6 Z71 4X4 HID | Weathertech | Truxedo Lo Pro QT | Passport 8500 | Underhood Storage | HP Tuners | Sprayed Bed Liner | Window Tint | CK951 wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers | Painted Tailgate handle | Full 2" Altitude Adjustment
2003 Silverado LS ECSB 4.8/A4 2WD SOLD HID low/fog | Gibson Shorty Headers | Corsa Touring | Passport 8500 | Sprayed Liner | Billet Grille | HP Tuners | Eaton LSD | 3.73 Gear Swap | Esky Handles | Electric Fans | Center Console Swap | MTX Audio | Denali Cluster

#13 sc4808

sc4808

Enthusiast

• 721 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

If you have the G80 now, the only way you can install a Lock Rite is to replace the carrier so its not as cheap as it would first seem.

Might as well go with a Detroit Locker or my favorite the E-Locker or ARB AirLocker.

I personally like a full locker over a Limited Slip but I would suggest a selectable locker unless you never drive on slick roads (MUD, SNOW and ICE)

I ran a lock-rite for years in a Jeep Wrangler and absolutely loved it, but I never used it on the snow and on slick muddy roads I had to use 4wd just to be able to stay in the road.
2008 Silverado K1500 4x4 Z71 CCSB
2009 Silverado K1500 4x4 Z71 ECSB
2006 GMC Sierra K1500 4x4 Z71 RCSB
2003 GMC Sierra K1500 4x4 RCSB
1995 Chevy K1500 Silverado Z71 4x4 RCSB
1994 Ford F150 4x4 Offroad RCSB

I live in the Lowcountry of SC

Our Trucks

Posted Image

#14 66and10

66and10

Enthusiast

• 73 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Drives:2010 Silverado Crew Cab 1500

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

If you have the G80 now, the only way you can install a Lock Rite is to replace the carrier so its not as cheap as it would first seem.

Might as well go with a Detroit Locker or my favorite the E-Locker or ARB AirLocker.

I personally like a full locker over a Limited Slip but I would suggest a selectable locker unless you never drive on slick roads (MUD, SNOW and ICE)

I ran a lock-rite for years in a Jeep Wrangler and absolutely loved it, but I never used it on the snow and on slick muddy roads I had to use 4wd just to be able to stay in the road.

Here's another vote for selectable lockers. I have OX Lockers both front and rear in my Jeep (manually locked through a shifter and cable setup). They provide the best of both worlds - open for street driving and in slippery conditions like mud and snow where a locked axle would cause sideways sliding, and fully locked when needed for rock crawling. Manually operated means I decide what position they are in, not the computer or slinging flyweights.
1966 GMC 3/4 ton Fleetside, small window; 305 V6......... (yes, V6); SM420 4M, 2WD, Dana 60, 4.11:1
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew; Shear Silver Met; Z71 Appearance Pkg; 5.3L; 6A, 4WD, 3.42:1

Posted Image

#15 C. Wilder

C. Wilder

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

I don't really like the way the limited slip works on my 1999 Silverado 4x4. I have been looking aftermarket for something a little more "posi-trac". I came upon Lockrite. Does anyone have experience with them or know anything about the product? I want to change the way it works now. Is there another product that works well?

Thank so much for the info. I have researched both the Detroit truetrac and the Auburn. I think I will go witht the Detroit. There is a dealer in Nashville.
Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users