Locking Rear End

I don't really like the way the limited slip works on my 1999 Silverado 4x4. I have been looking aftermarket for something a little more "posi-trac". I came upon Lockrite. Does anyone have experience with them or know anything about the product? I want to change the way it works now. Is there another product that works well?

I'd recomend a tru trac, but that's just me.

whats the difference between lockrite and tru trac? i friend of mine also recommended me lockrite cause thats what he has in his grand cherokee.. he says its a mechanic locking differential.. you hit the gas it locks both wheels.. so when driving in highway he says you need to let go the gas when in a curve or you will spin out... is it true? how does tru trac works?

please explain what that comment means....

btw... my G80 works just fine and I would not want another truck without a G80 ... but maybe that has something to do with how I use it and what my expectations are

If you have a G80 locker,,, it's working correctly,, and you don't like it,,,, you sir are not an american :jester: !

I'd recomend a tru trac, but that's just me.

whats the difference between lockrite and tru trac? i friend of mine also recommended me lockrite cause thats what he has in his grand cherokee.. he says its a mechanic locking differential.. you hit the gas it locks both wheels.. so when driving in highway he says you need to let go the gas when in a curve or you will spin out... is it true? how does tru trac works?

Unless you're planning on doing some serious offroading you don't want a true mechanical locker, it will compromise day to day driving too much. The trutrac or any after market limited slip will function much better than anything anyone offers from the factory.

The lock right is a mechanical locker and locks when there is forward pressure from the axel. So from a dead stop you hit the gas to accelerate and turn the corner without releasing the gas your differential will remain locked and cause tires to wear un-evenly and also cause them to chirp/squeal. in order to release the locking mechanism you must let off the accelerator.

I assume the reason why you were looking at the lock right was because it was cheap.

You want a Limited slip differential or you will eat tires and create more drivetrain strain which causes premature wear of parts. If you want the best limited slip go with a Eaton.

The lock right is a mechanical locker and locks when there is forward pressure from the axel. So from a dead stop you hit the gas to accelerate and turn the corner without releasing the gas your differential will remain locked and cause tires to wear un-evenly and also cause them to chirp/squeal. in order to release the locking mechanism you must let off the accelerator.

I assume the reason why you were looking at the lock right was because it was cheap.

You want a Limited slip differential or you will eat tires and create more drivetrain strain which causes premature wear of parts. If you want the best limited slip go with a Eaton.

this man speaks the truth.

in my 2003 2wd:

I bought it with an open differential, I installed a Powertrax No Slip (similar to the Lockright).

It was ANNOYING - it made a bunch of racket and was jerky, didn't always unlock when it was supposed to and locked sometimes when I didn't want it to (pulling out in traffic and turning at the same time would chirp the tires at anything above idle).

I pulled the Powertrax and installed a Eaton Limited Slip Differential (LSD) The LSD was silent and SMOOOOOTH. It kept traction and gave me no problems and was an absolute pleasure to drive.

I now have a G80 in my current truck. I have no plans to pull it, it's not as smooth as the LSD, but it gets the job done well enough.

I have a friend that also went from a G80 (after he broke the 2nd one) to a Tru Trac, he was very satisfied with it. Driving it I couldn't tell when it was active, very similar to the Eaton LSD.

If you have the G80 now, the only way you can install a Lock Rite is to replace the carrier so its not as cheap as it would first seem.

Might as well go with a Detroit Locker or my favorite the E-Locker or ARB AirLocker.

I personally like a full locker over a Limited Slip but I would suggest a selectable locker unless you never drive on slick roads (MUD, SNOW and ICE)

I ran a lock-rite for years in a Jeep Wrangler and absolutely loved it, but I never used it on the snow and on slick muddy roads I had to use 4wd just to be able to stay in the road.

If you have the G80 now, the only way you can install a Lock Rite is to replace the carrier so its not as cheap as it would first seem.

Might as well go with a Detroit Locker or my favorite the E-Locker or ARB AirLocker.

I personally like a full locker over a Limited Slip but I would suggest a selectable locker unless you never drive on slick roads (MUD, SNOW and ICE)

I ran a lock-rite for years in a Jeep Wrangler and absolutely loved it, but I never used it on the snow and on slick muddy roads I had to use 4wd just to be able to stay in the road.

Here's another vote for selectable lockers. I have OX Lockers both front and rear in my Jeep (manually locked through a shifter and cable setup). They provide the best of both worlds - open for street driving and in slippery conditions like mud and snow where a locked axle would cause sideways sliding, and fully locked when needed for rock crawling. Manually operated means I decide what position they are in, not the computer or slinging flyweights.

I don't really like the way the limited slip works on my 1999 Silverado 4x4. I have been looking aftermarket for something a little more "posi-trac". I came upon Lockrite. Does anyone have experience with them or know anything about the product? I want to change the way it works now. Is there another product that works well?

Thank so much for the info. I have researched both the Detroit truetrac and the Auburn. I think I will go witht the Detroit. There is a dealer in Nashville.

Thanks again.

Archived