Have To Use Dexos Oil?

Hi Guys and thanks for all the information I have gathered from this site! I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to register. Now I have a question that has been bugging me for a while and I can't seem to find a clear answer on. I did several searches here as well as other sites but can't find anything solid.

I have a 2011 Silverado LS with the 4.8l. It was bought new from the dealership in November 2010. I keep hearing all this talk about how all 2011 model chevys require Dexos approved oils but the word "dexos" is not mentioned even once in the owners manual that came with the truck. I also checked the owners manuals on chevys website and that manual made no mention of "dexos" either. They both just say to use 5w-30 that has the API starburst and meets GM6094M specs. I have an oil change coming soon and I do all my own maintenance. So do I use whatever high quality 5w-30 oil I want (I like pennzoil) or do I have to buy the more expensive "dexos" approved crap to keep the warranty?

I usually run 5,000 mile oil changes and don't drive too crazy so I am not really interested in spending the extra $ on synthetic "dexos" if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Service Information 2011 Chevrolet Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado VIN C/K Service Manual | Document ID: 2505109

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PI0175: Information for dexos 1 Synthetic Blend Engine Oil Usage for Topping Off or Change, Current Availability and Allowable Temporary Substitutes - (Jul 19, 2010)

Subject: Information for dexos 1™ Synthetic Blend Engine Oil Usage for Topping Off or Change, Current Availability and Allowable Temporary Substitutes

Models: 2011 Passenger Cars and Trucks (Excluding All Vehicles Equipped With Duramax™ Diesel Engines)

Attention: General Motors new engine oil specification dexos 1™ replaces both current General Motors specifications GM6094M and GM4718M.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following information may be helpful when encountering a vehicle with the condition as described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

• Owners of model year 2011 vehicles may be concerned about the availability of engine oil meeting the new dexos 1™ engine oil specification. This PI provides the necessary information as to what the vehicle owner or dealer service department should do if they need to add engine oil or change the engine oil in their new vehicle, until the availability of dexos 1™ engine oil becomes widespread.

For additional information refer to dexos 1™ Synthetic Blend Engine Oil Announcement - Customer Care and Aftersales Bulletin CCA10-129 (U.S.) or GMP2010-149 (Canada).

• GM has introduced the dexos 1™ engine oil specification because it offers several advantages over engine oils of previous specifications. These advantages include all of the following:

- A greater level of engine cleanliness.

- Additional wear protection.

- Improved aeration control.

- Improved corrosion protection.

- Increased fuel economy.

- Increased sludge control.

- dexos 1™ is backwards compatible to older vehicles and is a suitable oil for pre-2011 GM vehicles (excluding all vehicles equipped with Duramax™ diesel engines).

Recommendation/Instructions

• As the availability of dexos 1™ increases, GM highly recommends that owners switch to dexos 1™ as soon as is practical to conform with GM Powertrain warranty requirements.

• When dexos 1™ oil becomes available dealers should use their inventory of American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines Starburst oils in vehicles that DO NOT require dexos 1™ oil.

• GM's acceptance of the use of substitute engine oils is temporary. The acceptability of non dexos 1™ engine oils will be discontinued when dexos 1™ oil availability is pervasive. GM recommends the following substitute engine oils as outlined per applicable vehicle:

Vehicles With Naturally - Aspirated Engines (Excluding Camaro SS with RPO LS3, Corvette, and CTS-V)

Note: Advise the customer to refer to their Owner Manual for more information.

To maintain proper engine oil level or to change the engine oil, substitute an engine oil identified on the label with the American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines Starburst symbol as shown, with a viscosity grade of SAE 5W-30.

Camaro SS with RPO LS3, Corvette, and CTS-V

To maintain proper engine oil level or to change the engine oil, substitute an engine oil meeting the GM Standard of: GM4718M, also identified on the label with the American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines Starburst symbol as shown, with a viscosity grade of SAE 5W-30.

Vehicles With Turbocharged (TC) Engines

To maintain proper engine oil level or to change the engine oil, substitute an engine oil meeting the GM Standard of: GM4718M, also identified on the label with the American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines Starburst symbol as shown, with a viscosity grade of SAE 5W-30.

This is listed under Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations.....

The engine requires engine oil approved to the dexos™ specification. Oils meeting this specification can be identified with the dexos™ certification mark. Look for and use only an engine oil that displays the dexos™ certification mark of the proper viscosity grade. SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity grade for the Vehicle. Do not use other viscosity oils such as SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50.

I thank you for the information and please understand my frustration is not with you or your answer but let me get this straight.

According to that bulletin, once dexos oil availability is "pervasive" my manual is wrong and my warranty is void if I follow what is in the manual and don't change the oil with dexos approved oil?

If that is the case, are they going to give me a new manual to follow, is GM going to call me and tell me this update? Who is to say I don't do my research and I never hear of the bulletin? That bulletin said at least 3 times to "Advise the customer to refer to their Owner Manual for more information." My owners manual and the one on chevys website (go there right now and download it yourself) doesn't say dexos anywhere!

Don't get me wrong but it sounds to me like GM is forcing its new customers, (the very ones who are going to pull them out of debt if they ever do get out of the hole) to buy expensive "dexos" approved oils so they can get a cut of the profits. I am a fan of GM but I think they are handling this issue the wrong way and it really isn't fair to the owners of these new vehicles. Anybody else think so?

That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for that article!

I am still not happy about the whole "use it or else" part of it and frankly I think it breaks several consumer protection laws and the magnison moss act that basically says if a manufacturer requires the use of a certain product for warranty purposes, they must provide it free of charge. But hey, I must be crazy what do I know?

Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 here I come!

That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for that article!

I am still not happy about the whole "use it or else" part of it and frankly I think it breaks several consumer protection laws and the magnison moss act that basically says if a manufacturer requires the use of a certain product for warranty purposes, they must provide it free of charge. But hey, I must be crazy what do I know?

Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 here I come!

The magnison moss act doesn't really hold water in this case,heres why...GM is not saying you must run a specific brand of oil (IE-Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum) but rather an oil that meets a GM specification,There are many oils out there that meet the spec.,as listed in the link I provided.

Now if they said you "must" run Mobil1 then that would be a different story,same goes for ATF fluid,GM now requires you to run Dexron VI in all '06-up vehicles (before that it was Dexron III) But they do not say you must run a certain brand,Just an ATF that is Dexron VI.

Heres the article I was talking about on dexos and the Magnuson Moss act....

Magnuson Moss

As it turns out, there are some who are crying foul and are referring to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act as justification for barring GM from even having the option of introducing “dexos 1?. They contend that this would be a violation of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act which states that, if an OEM requires a particular product to be used in order to maintain a warranty, the product must be provided for free (unless the company is able to PROVE the necessity of using this product for proper operation).

Although I’m certainly not a lawyer, I’m not entirely convinced that this would apply. GM is not requiring the use of a particular brand of product, but only an oil that meets their specification. Generally, the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is designed to protect consumers from OEMs that might try to void a warranty or deny a warranty claim unjustifiably based on the customer’s use of the “wrong product” to maintain their vehicle (or other product). It’s also designed to keep OEMs from bilking customers by requiring them to purchase a “house brand” product in order to maintain their warranty, thereby forcing the customer to purchase what is often an overpriced and generally useless product when there is no justifiable reason for doing so.

Again, I’m not sure this scenario falls under the auspices of the Magnuson Moss Act. But, the lube industry has the clout and the money to place leverage against the introduction of “dexos 1?. Only time will tell if they have ENOUGH clout to get their way. Introduction of the new GM spec is scheduled to coincide, almost exactly, with the introduction of the new ILSAC GF-5 requirements. So, we’ll see how this all plays out. Stay tuned …

Why is it that ONLY 5W-30 can be used in the newer vehicles? I don't live where it gets very cold so 10W-30 has always been what I use. Why does GM say I can't do that anymore?

Fuel economy,GM has used/required 5W-30 for years in almost all of their vehicles.

That is another thing too. UOA's, VOA's, and even the oil manufacturer's tech sheets show 5w-30 and 10w-30 are very similar. You gain a tiny, I mean tiny amount of cold pumpability with 5w-30 and that is it. With 10w-30 you gain higher thermal stability, higher flash point and more shear stability. I have never had a noticible difference in fuel economy with 10w-30 either. In fact, all of the vehicles I maintain (6 total, 4 of which are chevy) run smoother and quieter on 10w-30 compared to 5w-30 and the mileage is the same. Full synthetic 10w-30 should be fine in almost every climate except for the places that are below zero regularly.

I am in CT and it is pretty cold here so I am not going to worry about using 5w-30 too much. If I lived down south (like many do) I would be a little more upset by gm's choice of 5w-30. Sure I am not a lubrication engineer but I have enough knowledge to tell you that one size (oil) does not fit all, sorry.

Here's a copy of my owner's manual for my 2011.

dexos.jpg

It is in my opinion the requirements are somewhat vague. It states the oil must be approved to the Dexos specification OR and equivalent engine oil of the appropriate viscosity grade (5W-30). Again I'm going with Pennzoil Platinum which is Dexos approved, but the more I read about this the less I believe GM could do if you used a quality 5W-30 that was NOT on the Dexos list and encountered a problem. In truth with motor oil quality where it is today, the chances of an oil related failure with any major brand is VERY slim. Just my 2 cents. :lol:

Archived