Tpms Reset

you guys aren't reading the whole thing..

in those 2 links it CLEARLY states you can do the re-learn yourself on the 2011,

instead of reading just the first 2 paragraphs, read the whole thing..

in the 3rd column of page 10-68 it CLEARLY states the procedure for the TPMS tire matching system and how to reset it..

--

the procedure is the same as on my 2010, and it works without issue if you follow the directions to the letter.. read thru the directions FIRST before attempting to be sure you understand all the steps, because if you miss one it won't complete..

I have already done this on my 2010, without issue, and looking at the posted pages from the 2011, it is the exact same procedure as mine.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's interesting, I got the information I posted from the 2011 manual PDF file on Chevy's website. 2011 Silverado Owners Manual

It does say you can do this by deflating each tire. I guess the only way to find out for sure would be to try it.

Bad link. Makes my FireFox crash.

Anyway, there appears to be a couple of different versions of the 2011 manual. I would bet that you can still do the deflation method to relearn the TPMS. As stated before, if you had to use the tool to accomplish this, then GM would be required to provide it to you at no charge IMO.

Diesail - what is the production date of your 2011?

Vroten - what about you?

Maybe a mid year change?

I don't have a 2011, I have a 2008 and the relearn process has always worked for me. Try this link Chevy Owners Manuals

If that still does not work then go the chevy site and search for owners manuals. The manual they have online clearly says you can relearn them with the deflate/inflate method.

I guess mine was horse shit.........

Re-Read ChevyTech77's post, it outlines the procedure exaclty as it is printed in the PDF manual that is online. I think the only way to find out if it is going to work is give it a try. You will know the moment you do the first step with the key fob.

you guys aren't reading the whole thing..

in those 2 links it CLEARLY states you can do the re-learn yourself on the 2011,

instead of reading just the first 2 paragraphs, read the whole thing..

in the 3rd column of page 10-68 it CLEARLY states the procedure for the TPMS tire matching system and how to reset it..

--

the procedure is the same as on my 2010, and it works without issue if you follow the directions to the letter.. read thru the directions FIRST before attempting to be sure you understand all the steps, because if you miss one it won't complete..

I have already done this on my 2010, without issue, and looking at the posted pages from the 2011, it is the exact same procedure as mine.

That is why I made the comment about the descrepencies. In the 2 links posted by vroten, it says you have to use the tool, it does NOT say that you can let air out (which it wouldn't surprise me if it still worked). The point is GM needs to be clear about these kinds of things and have ONE version of the owners manual per model year. Same kind of problems regardingn the new DEXOS oil standard.

I guess mine was horse shit.........

Easy brother. I was just saying the manual I have isn't like what I've read on the board and I wanted an expert answer. Thanks for posting from the GM Service Manual, I didn't realize that was where you were posting from when I read through this during lunch at work today.

I have the OTC-3833 TPMS relearn tool and its way too cool! Letting air out of your tires is just plain nuts. You have to put 55 pounds into the tire just to slowly let some air out just enough to get the tire to chirp. Wasted. Get a used tool on eBay. Much easier.

zoz

I have the OTC-3833 TPMS relearn tool and its way too cool! Letting air out of your tires is just plain nuts. You have to put 55 pounds into the tire just to slowly let some air out just enough to get the tire to chirp. Wasted. Get a used tool on eBay. Much easier.

zoz

are you kidding? $600 for a tool just to reset the TPMS.. I think i'll stick with letting air out..

zoz

Try just adding or subtracting air for two seconds. If you continue to add or subtract air, while waiting for the horn to chirp, the sensor can miss it. It really only takes two seconds for the sensor to know what you're doing, it takes the rest of the time for the vehicle's systems to react.

I had done this process before to reset TPMS without a tool. But I couldn't get it to work recently. So, I had Costco's tire shop do it with a Bartec 400. They charge $4. I also ordered a tool for $70 off ebay that will activate/reset and detect the sensor transmitters. No more air bleeding and messing around.

I have often wondered if it is harder to do on the 1500 with the lower tire presures. On the 2500 it has always been a piece of cake. And since the tire pressures are different front and back it's no bigger as you have to deflate / inflate anyway.

Got the tool yesterday. Tried it out just now. Going around a full reset took me about a minute and I didn't have to let air out or put air in. No more of that air bleed stuff for me. The tool will activate the wheel sensor and cause it to transmit. It's a simple activation tool with a light to indicate it receives a signal from the sensor. Thats it.

Got the tool yesterday. Tried it out just now. Going around a full reset took me about a minute and I didn't have to let air out or put air in. No more of that air bleed stuff for me. The tool will activate the wheel sensor and cause it to transmit. It's a simple activation tool with a light to indicate it receives a signal from the sensor. Thats it.

Wonderful. Could you give the details on the tool? I want to order one as well. Thanks!

Good luck reseting or relearning the TPMS yourself by following the manual with letting the air out the tire routine. I have a 2010 and it did not work and I tried it many times. I took it to my shop (not a dealer) and the did it with whatever tool the dealer uses. My mechanic told me that it is hard to do it with letting the air out and you almost have to totally deflate the tire and even that may not work. I know he is not full of crap becuase he did the reset/relearn for free but said he wasn't surprised I couldn't do it myself without the tool. Take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Good luck reseting or relearning the TPMS yourself by following the manual with letting the air out the tire routine. I have a 2010 and it did not work and I tried it many times. I took it to my shop (not a dealer) and the did it with whatever tool the dealer uses. My mechanic told me that it is hard to do it with letting the air out and you almost have to totally deflate the tire and even that may not work. I know he is not full of crap becuase he did the reset/relearn for free but said he wasn't surprised I couldn't do it myself without the tool. Take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Sad to say but, he is and he couldn't be more wrong about totally deflating the tires to get it to learn. 2 seconds of air out or in is all the sensor needs to activate. If you continue to let air out or in until you hear a horn chirp, that is

not the way to do it.

Archived