Tpms Reset

Sad to say but, he is and he couldn't be more wrong about totally deflating the tires to get it to learn. 2 seconds of air out or in is all the sensor needs to activate. If you continue to let air out or in until you hear a horn chirp, that is

not the way to do it.

CT77,

My manual says to bleed until you get a chirp. I got a chirp from each tire except the left rear. Never able to get a chirp from it. Even pulled the core to increase the rate of change. Eventually, I just ignored the fact that it didn't chirp on the 4th tire and just bled air for a similar time as the others took to get a chirp. Then followed the final steps of the re-learn procedure. Na-da. No bueno. No luck.

The CostCo tech tried it too. Same problem. We thought maybe the 4th sensor was bad. He pulled out the Bartec 400 and it activated it and recieved a signal from it right away. Then he performed the re-learn with the Bartec.

After reading as many stories as I can find on TPMS, I'm convinced it's a system that is not fully matured and has some quirks that baffle trained dealership techs.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CT77,

My manual says to bleed until you get a chirp. I got a chirp from each tire except the left rear. Never able to get a chirp from it. Even pulled the core to increase the rate of change. Eventually, I just ignored the fact that it didn't chirp on the 4th tire and just bled air for a similar time as the others took to get a chirp. Then followed the final steps of the re-learn procedure. Na-da. No bueno. No luck.

The CostCo tech tried it too. Same problem. We thought maybe the 4th sensor was bad. He pulled out the Bartec 400 and it activated it and recieved a signal from it right away. Then he performed the re-learn with the Bartec.

After reading as many stories as I can find on TPMS, I'm convinced it's a system that is not fully matured and has some quirks that baffle trained dealership techs.

Unfortunantly, the owners manual cannot be updated as fast as the information is that is given to the service field. Not to mention that this system has been around, although in a few different forms, for over 6 model years now. Heck, '90 Corvette's had a tire pressure monitoring system, to be honest.

The sensor trips to it's relearn broadcast frequency when it sees a quick rate of pressure change for just two seconds. If you continue to lower or raise the pressure for longer than that, it believes that it is seeing what??

A severe/dangerous tire pressure change. Therefore, the sensor continues to monitor in a normal state so that the driver can be told if they have a tire pressure issue. Hense the reason that so many people have issues when trying

to relearn tpm sensors with the pressure increase/decrease method. Aftermarket wheels, tire and window tinting, along with ANYTHING that can broadcast an RF frequency, will also severely affect the performance of the system.

A quick two second burst should allow them to be learned with the delta-p method (pressure increase/decrease).

The sensors also know when they are being told to activate with a relearn tool so they respond differently to that

also. The remaining time that it takes the vehicle to react, after the two seconds, is the time it takes for the systems

receiver to analize and learn the signal's position along with telling the vehicles body control module to honk the horn, change the parking light position and change the driver information center information (if equipped).

"... The remaining time that it takes the vehicle to react, after the two seconds, is the time it takes for the systems receiver to analize and learn the signal's position ... and change the driver information center information (if equipped). "

CT77

That's pretty much the point of doing the 're-learn', isn't it? ...to get the system receiver to analyze and learn the signal positions and change the DIC info? So, when I did this air bleed procedure, it never tooted the horn on the last tire and no changes were recorded in the DIC data. In fact no pressure data would come up at all, just -- -- for pressure readings. It wasn't completing the re-learn and the lack of the double horn toot at the last tire reflected that as well.

My truck has no "Aftermarket wheels, tire and window tinting, along with ANYTHING that can broadcast an RF frequency". I tried this a number of times and getting the horn toot at each wheel was a piece of cake...except for that left rear/last tire. When I ignored the fact that it hadn't given the audible toot after bleeding air and proceded to complete the re-learn, it gave no data on the DIC.

All I can figure is that the air bleed wasn't activating the sensor to transmit. That in itself would be a worry. But after it was triggered and reset with the Bartec tool, that sensor reported pressure changes as I refilled it. I can't explain that. :rolleyes:

"... The remaining time that it takes the vehicle to react, after the two seconds, is the time it takes for the systems receiver to analize and learn the signal's position ... and change the driver information center information (if equipped). "

CT77

That's pretty much the point of doing the 're-learn', isn't it? ...to get the system receiver to analyze and learn the signal positions and change the DIC info? So, when I did this air bleed procedure, it never tooted the horn on the last tire and no changes were recorded in the DIC data. In fact no pressure data would come up at all, just -- -- for pressure readings. It wasn't completing the re-learn and the lack of the double horn toot at the last tire reflected that as well.

My truck has no "Aftermarket wheels, tire and window tinting, along with ANYTHING that can broadcast an RF frequency". I tried this a number of times and getting the horn toot at each wheel was a piece of cake...except for that left rear/last tire. When I ignored the fact that it hadn't given the audible toot after bleeding air and proceded to complete the re-learn, it gave no data on the DIC.

All I can figure is that the air bleed wasn't activating the sensor to transmit. That in itself would be a worry. But after it was triggered and reset with the Bartec tool, that sensor reported pressure changes as I refilled it. I can't explain that. :dunno:

I have explained the system is as much detail as most anyone will understand and have done this procedure on literally 100's of trucks just like yours with no issues what-so-ever. Again, if you continuely take air out of the tire, instead of just a two second burst, the TPM sensor MAY NOT catch it correctly. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you.

I have explained the system is as much detail as most anyone will understand and have done this procedure on literally 100's of trucks just like yours with no issues what-so-ever. Again, if you continuely take air out of the tire, instead of just a two second burst, the TPM sensor MAY NOT catch it correctly. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you.

ChevyTech

Thanks for the info. Sounds simple enough, just wanted to make sure it was still the way to do it on a 2011. Glad you explained the 2 second thing as well. Shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again

• 1 month later...

I performed this operation per Chevytech77's instructions on the 2 second burst last night on my wife's 11 Yukon after tire rotation.

It could not have been easier. Worked on the first try. Thanks for the information.

GM service information states 8-10 seconds but I know for a fact that a 2 second burst is all it takes for the sensor to react to the change and go into a learn mode. Either way, the point is that you don't have to continueously let pressure out to get the sensor to learn. A short burst and then wait for the system to react is all you need. :lol:

I have tried many times to get my TPMS to relearn without success. I have a air compressor at home so I was able to spend hours trying different ways for it to work. It never did. I have to take it back to the dealer for him to reset the system.

I rotated the tires on our 2008 Suburban a couple of months back. I used the procedure where you let air out. Took all of 2 minutes and worked without a problem. Then went back and readjusted the air pressures to where I wanted them. I typically run the rears a little higher than the fronts because of the weight of Suburban and the fact we tow a fair amount with it and combined with the 20" wheels, not a great combination.

• 3 months later...

I went to the dealer to have my 2011 reset. I had just put my aftermarket wheels on. The sensor had not noticed the tire change yet so the light was still off.

I watched the tech walk around the car. I had read the directions prior to going in. I don't think he ever did. He started on the right front left front right back left back. No chirping no lights flashing no horn at the end.

I went up on the highway and heated the tires up on comes the light. I went home and did it myself adding air. It was easy.

Thanks Guys

GM service information states 8-10 seconds but I know for a fact that a 2 second burst is all it takes for the sensor to react to the change and go into a learn mode. Either way, the point is that you don't have to continueously let pressure out to get the sensor to learn. A short burst and then wait for the system to react is all you need. :dunno:

Thanks ChevyTech77 for your patience on this and explaining it to folks.

Since I started this thread a few months ago I thought I'd chime in. (I almost did a couple of days ago) I did my first tire rotation about a week and a half ago. I did the relearn procedure just like ChevyTech77 said. All went smoothly and exactly like it was supposed to. The two second burst seemed to work like a charm :dunno:

Thanks again.

Just to add to this thread:

I do this to my wife's 2009 Enclave every time I rotate the tires. The whole process is just like ChevyTech77 said and takes me about 2 minutes. It's really simple:

1) Hold down lock and unlock buttons on fob. Horn chirps twice and "Tire Relearn" shows up in the DIC.

2) Let a quick burst of air out of left front tire. Horn chirps once.

3) Continue with right front, right rear, left rear (rights chirp once and after left rear horn will chirp twice to confirm the cycle is complete).

4) Go around and inflate each tire to recommended pressure.

I'm not sure why it's not working for some of you. All the GM vehicles use similar TPMS sensors and the procedure is the same for all the vehicles. Like ChevyTech77 said, if you let the air out (or in) slowly it may not work. Paying for a tool or paying the dealer to do it is just plain silly!

I found this thread and had a glimmer of hope for resetting my TPMS. I'm glad it has worked for some but not mine. I have tried everything short of standing on my head and picking my nose while trying to reset this POS. But, I do have a set of aftermarket BFG's on my truck so that may be the cause. My dealer wants $80 to reset the TPMS so that is out of the question. Tire stores around here want $20 whether it works or not. I guess I'll just have to go without. Thanks for the info though 77.

'07's had software and tpm controller issues that was cause for tpm relearn difficulties as well. If your truck still has the same rcdlr and software in it that it was built with from the factory then you will have issues learning them via the Delta-P method. Buy the cheap aftermarket relearn tool ($40-ish online from what I've heard) and be done with tpm sensor relearn issues. :)

Archived