Tpms Reset

I've been researching the TPMS system on the new truck. I've read on the board that it is possible to reset by letting air out of tires starting at the drivers front side and going around the truck. However, there's nothing in my owner's manual (at least that I've found) that says this will work with the 2011's. Has anyone tried it with the 2011 trucks or any of you dealer guys know if the 2011's can be reset by letting pressure out of the tires?

Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the GM System is crap and a PITA. My fiances Subaru is simple. All it needs is the tires to be cold then just go around and pump them up to where you want them (35psi). Then just drive it down the road so far and it tells the DIC what the pressures are on its own, and if the lights on it goes out at the same time.

Yes it does. Page 10-69 of the 2011 owners manual.

I looked at that section in the manual. All mine mentions is using a TPMS relearn tool. It evens says see dealer for service or to purchase a relearn tool. (10-68). I'm certainly not wanting to argue, and I hope you're right, but the manual I have says nothing about letting air out of the valve stem to reset. That was my reason for posting. I was wondering if GM is now forcing you to buy a relearn tool or see a dealer for this. Here's what my manual says:

10-68

10-69

The "reset" procedure that you are describing is the matching/relearn procedure. This is done when you move a tire from its current position, i.e. a tire rotation. The only other time that you do it is if for some reason the computer just stops displaying information for one of the tire.

Yes it does. Page 10-69 of the 2011 owners manual.

I looked at that section in the manual. All mine mentions is using a TPMS relearn tool. It evens says see dealer for service or to purchase a relearn tool. (10-68). I'm certainly not wanting to argue, and I hope you're right, but the manual I have says nothing about letting air out of the valve stem to reset. That was my reason for posting. I was wondering if GM is now forcing you to buy a relearn tool or see a dealer for this. Here's what my manual says:

10-68

10-69

Well I'll be... It does say to use a tool. My 08 section on this tells you to deflate/inflate the tire. Try this without the tool and tell us what happens.

It's interesting, I got the information I posted from the 2011 manual PDF file on Chevy's website. 2011 Silverado Owners Manual

It does say you can do this by deflating each tire. I guess the only way to find out for sure would be to try it.

Bad link. Makes my FireFox crash.

Anyway, there appears to be a couple of different versions of the 2011 manual. I would bet that you can still do the deflation method to relearn the TPMS. As stated before, if you had to use the tool to accomplish this, then GM would be required to provide it to you at no charge IMO.

Diesail - what is the production date of your 2011?

Vroten - what about you?

Maybe a mid year change?

Straight from the GM Service Manual for 2011 M.Y. Silverado's............

Ignition ON, initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the following procedures:

On vehicles equipped with keyless entry, simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.

On vehicles not equipped with keyless entry, press and release the driver information center (DIC) INFO button until the TIRE LEARN message appears on the DIC display. Press and hold the SET/RESET button until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.

Starting with the left front tire, learn the tire pressure using one of the following methods:

Hold the antenna of the J-46079 aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

Warning: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

Increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

After the horn chirp has sounded and the right front turn signal is illuminated, repeat step 2 for the remaining 3 sensors in the following order:

Right front

Right rear

Left rear

When the left rear sensor has been learned and a double horn chirp has sounded, the learn process is complete and the RCDLR exits the learn mode.

Ignition OFF, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures. Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Placard, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label

I'm seeing A LOT of discrepancies when it comes to the 2011 owners manuals, whether it be chevy or GMC. Some are different regarding the TPMS, some are different regarding the new DEXOS oil requirement. Can someone from a dealership chime in with any insight on why the manuals differ if they're from the same model year??

I dicked around with my 07 NBS for hours trying to relearn the positions, finally gave up and drove to a dealer at lunch time. It took them no more than 2 minutes to relearn the positions with their tool. Didn't charge me either, just drove up, they walked around the truck and I drove off.

Answering questions from a couple previous posts:

1. Yeah the reason I was asking was for tire rotation purposes. I know they shouldn't need this otherwise unless there is a problem.

2. My production date was 11/5/10. The manual I'm using is the one available on the GM Owner's Site. I haven't honestly looked at the hard copy in the glovebox for this, but now I'm curious.

I figure when I replace tires the tire dealer (not car dealership) will be able to do the relearn process as well after each rotation. Up until then, or until I get a definite answer on the letting air out method, I may just move the tires back to front/front to back, so I'll still have an idea which sensor is where. The other vehicles I've owned with TPMS were/are much simpler, but they did not associate specific tires with specific locations, I just got a warning light if one tire was low. Had to check all four this way.

No biggie either way. Let me know if anyone with dealership connections has a definite answer.

Archived