Tpms Reset

My first post. Thank you for the instructions for resetting the TPMS because my owners manual does not have the deflating tire pressure procedure. It only has the relearn tool procedure. I just performed it approx 8 lbs per tire deflating. It was very simple. A second person makes it easy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

I just bought a set of winter tires with tpms sensored wheels and did the key fob trick with my 2011 Sierra... Worked perfectly the first time... I only had to put a few psi in each tire when i was done... Personally i think its a slick system when all you need is a tire pressure gauge and an air hose nearby... They should've kept this system in production... Never knew my truck had this capability until i read it on this forum...

Go to any Discount tire, and have them use the scan tool to input the information back into the vehicles computer, it took them all of 5 minuets to do all the tires. There should be no charge for doing this, I hit them up on a slow weekday, when they first opened.

They put the vehicle in the "learn mode", put the butt end of the tool on the tire near the TPMS sensor, and face the front of the tool towards the vehicles computor then press a button, and your done.

Tire stores here charge for that. I bought the $50 tool and do it myself now. 2012's you have to use the tool, takes 3-4 minutes...

I was just wondering. My 2011 doesn't have the "air out" method for reset in the owners manual, but it does work. Has anyone tried it with the 2012+ trucks. Is it for sure GM did away with this more user friendly reset method? Just curious :dunno:

Why are they making cars so difficult.

It is honestly for the "impaired morons" that drive their vehicles on near flat tires, that our federal government had to step in and mandate the vehicle manufacturers install a system to let you know that your tire or tires are low on air.

I meen, let's face it, if you are to stupid to check your vehicle tires air pressure (I do every 3 months) and adjust it, you should not be behind the steering wheel driving a car.

JMHO

• 1 year later...

My 2011 GMC manual says to use scan tool, but after reading this thread, I used the let air out for a couple of seconds. It was slow to respond but I was patient and it gave me the 2 chirps when complete. The dash indicated to "service tire system" or something like that, the readings for each of the tires was ----. I did it again and it completed again with the two chirps and all was fine. I aired up to the pressures I wanted and all is good.

My truck had been sitting for a day, so perhaps if I had just driven it, the learning procedure would have worked first time around? No worries, it is good now.

Thanks for reminding me that this could be done on 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD.

I have seen the magnet tool on Amazon and wonder if that would be more reliable? Perhaps just a strong magnet near the valve stem would work just as good?

• 10 months later...

I've been researching the TPMS system on the new truck. I've read on the board that it is possible to reset by letting air out of tires starting at the drivers front side and going around the truck. However, there's nothing in my owner's manual (at least that I've found) that says this will work with the 2011's. Has anyone tried it with the 2011 trucks or any of you dealer guys know if the 2011's can be reset by letting pressure out of the tires?

Thanks

Yes I just did it and it works great, turn key to on Don't star engine, press both lock and unlock together until horn sounds, start with driver front then drain air until horn sound then pass front repeat then pass back repeat then driver back repeat , got new tires and Sam didn't do it, work like a champ.

• 2 weeks later...

Any one know the procedure for a 2014 Sierra 1500 SLE? plan to upgrade my vehicle to 32's and now wonder if the sensors need replacement or could they be reset. any comments will be appreciated.

I heard at some point in the 2011 model year GM removed the programing for relearn by letting air out of each tire and only a tool will work.

My truck was built 8-04-2011, but I have not needed to do a relearn yet, so I can not say if it will work or not. I will most likely just buy the tool.

• 5 weeks later...

I really like simple. Don't bother with relearn. If one pressure goes off the reservation, get out your $4.99 jcwhitney tire gauge and check them all. Correct them all. You will know where at least one sensor is.

Archived