09 Sierra 5.3 Lmg Low Oil Pressure? Even When Cold?

Hey guys,

I noticed the other day my my 09 has lower than usual oild pressure. Nothing over 40 psi even at cold start-up and sitting at 18 psi in gear / stopped. I am guessing I am going to change the oil and take it to the stealer. Any word out there on this? I am a amsoil dealer and only have 16K on a potentional 25 oil change so I am a bit pissed about having to put a sub-standard delco filter on my truck just so the stealer wont say anything.

Thanks for your help.

PS- I looked through 6 pages and didnt see this topic.

Adam

09 Gmc Sierra 5.3 AFM LMG Flex-Fuel

Hey guys,

I noticed the other day my my 09 has lower than usual oild pressure. Nothing over 40 psi even at cold start-up and sitting at 18 psi in gear / stopped. I am guessing I am going to change the oil and take it to the stealer. Any word out there on this? I am a amsoil dealer and only have 16K on a potentional 25 oil change so I am a bit pissed about having to put a sub-standard delco filter on my truck just so the stealer wont say anything.

Thanks for your help.

Adam

You've run 16k miles on the same oil? I know Amsoil is supposed to be good stuff but those sort of change intervals scare the hell out of me. Hopefully the dealer won't give you trouble for running so long on the oil.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help.

Adam

You've run 16k miles on the same oil? I know Amsoil is supposed to be good stuff but those sort of change intervals scare the hell out of me. Hopefully the dealer won't give you trouble for running so long on the oil.

You are not required to have an AC Delco filter on in order to get warranty work. If they required it, by law, they would have to provide it for free. But, if the engine is toast, they are going to want receipts for either oil changes or the purchase of oil and filters. Mentioning your 16k oil change interval, while theoretically possible (I am assuming you are getting oil samples analyzed), is not in compliance with the owners manual maintenance chart and may cause you some issues. Is it possible that the oil is just "done"?

Oh, and welcome to the site!

I think the bottom line is .... if you want a manufacturer to honor a warranty .... then you have to follow the manufacturers recommendations for oil type and oil change intervals ... with receipts for the work (*or the supplies) to back you up...

I agree with another post above that says the oil pressure sending unit may be out of whack... but if it is something in your engine ... then good luck getting a dealer to honor the powertrain warranty ....

.. and if it is something in the engine... then not good advertising for AMSOIL

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help.

I had this problem on my 08, the oil level was good the oil was clean, so i was stumped then changed my filter and it went back to normal, so i cut my filter open ,I do this after each run on my drag truck, and found the element was half collasped and not letting oil pass. It was a Fram filter not wal mart junk so it can happen to any filter, try this before taking it to the dealer and getting charged beacuse a filter is not a warrenty item.

It was a Fram filter not wal mart junk so it can happen to any filter, try this before taking it to the dealer and getting charged beacuse a filter is not a warrenty item.

FRAM oil filter is junk, and Walmart happens to sell them, so it is Walmart junk. :)

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the level oil level is good and Amsoil is good for 1 year or 25K whichever comes first. I have 20 cars on account and have NEVER had an issue....period. In fact, I had a friend who had a massive intake leak on his s20 and had 2 gallons of coolant in his crankcase and Amsoil SAVED HIS ENGINE!!!!

This weekend I will:

1) Change the oil

2) See what happens

3) If it doesnt improve, take to deal and hope the put a 6.2 in it. LOL.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have a degree from GM but I really like the "customer to customer" banter on forums.

Thanks

Adam

It was a Fram filter not wal mart junk so it can happen to any filter, try this before taking it to the dealer and getting charged beacuse a filter is not a warrenty item.

FRAM oil filter is junk, and Walmart happens to sell them, so it is Walmart junk. :)

I couldn't agree more.

I had a bad fram put on a old mustang before NEVER AGAIN!

Hey just saw this, bad news. The high end amsoil you used is not certified for the year engine you have. Only the cheap amsoil has the correct SN rating I believe.

Hey even royal purple is only rated to the previous rating and do not meet the current rating. I emailed them and it is because of the zinc and other additives they have to help reduce wear. These additives are being removed from newer oils because in high quantities they have been shown to cause newer cats to break down if they get on them. But as the rep from Royal purple said, this was only shown when the oil actual was put on the cat material.

This is the same reason you can not use the newer oils at the store in older vehicles without a Zinc additive. They do not provide the protection that older engines running flat lifters need.

FRAM oil filter is junk, and Walmart happens to sell them, so it is Walmart junk. :D

Agreed!! But Fram filters are available at just about any parts store and maybe even at some of the drive-thru quick oil change places.

Go buy a Fram filter and another filter like a WIX, Purolator, or AC Delco for the same engine application. Then cut the metal can off the filter and compare the filter material. You will find the Fram filter has a cheap kraft paper material and less filtering area than the others. That's what makes Fram cheap.

Frankly, if the dealer finds out that you are using an oil that does not meet the GM spec or that you have not changed the oil in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation, or are using a viscosity outside the recommended weight, you may be hosed on warranty work. And you can bet that if the dealer has any concerns about what proper engine maintenance has been done, they will take oil samples for testing. If those samples fail any of the tests, you may see a huge repair bill.

Archived