Options For Adding Hd Radio To My Stock Headunit?

Hello all,

I've done some searches on this topic, but I wasn't able to find the answer I needed. My apologies if I overlooked anyone's answers.

The situation is this: My 2007 Yukon has the factory Bose/XM ready single CD/MP3 headunit with rear seat DVD player and steering wheel controls. Though the unit is XM ready, I don't have an active subscription for it, as I have a Delphi MyFi that I use with the AUX input.

I had a Trailblazer with an aftermarket headunit that got HD Radio previous to my Yukon. When I totaled the TB, I pulled and saved the stereo. I miss HD Radio.

I don't want to pull the factory headunit because I'd like to keep the DVD player working. Is there a way I can get HD Radio on my factory headunit? I'm not opposed to pulling the XM unit from behind the dash if that's the way I have to go about it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Matt

I would look into the ISimple/Pac-Audio PXAMG or Gateway units. You can then add and HD radio tuner to them. Im looking at the same thing for my 07 but want to add the bluetooth mudule not the HD radio.

this is the Gateway...it should even work in your Tahoe

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1214

and this is the add-on HD tuner

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1117

Good luck

• 1 month later...
Old-Chevy-Dude,

Good information! Do you have any experience with this harness? My aftermarket stereo would, of course, have to have a DVD player integrated, right? What's the part number, if you know it?

Thanks!

Matt

yes your aftermarket unit would need to have a DVD player integrated OR you would need a secondary DVD player (check ebay they have them for $100 for stand alone auto dvd players)

the part you need from PAC is the GMRVD (http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=188&CategoryID=34) it works both ways (keeping factory head unit and using after market rear screens or keeping factory screens with aftermarke head unit)

I have been an active beta tester for PAC since 1999 for GM, Toyota and Chrysler Vehicles, their shop is 20 minutes from me, and I know the owners and all the techs very well, whenever they have new GM, Toyota, or Chrysler products I will install and beta test them before public release. I have not tested this particular product, but I know that their stuff is second to none.

peripheral, scosche, metra and some others are all made by PAC and re-branded, but the electronics, progamming and the guts are all PAC parts.

keep in mind you will also need some other interfaces if you use the aftermarket headunit, you need the OS-4 with is for radio replacement and to keep the steering controls and have them operate the aftermarket H/U you will need one of the SWI devices, there are 4 different ones, the one you need is dependant on what brand the head unit is..

using these devices makes everything plug and play, no cutting or splicing of the factory wiring, you splice the aftermarket H/U harness to the PAC and then plug it into the truck as if it was OEM, 5 minutes of programming for the steering controls and you are done. I install on the side and I can knock out a head unit change in most vehicles in under 30 minutes.

hit me up in PM if you need more info.

Marc-

Marc,

Thanks for the response. In this thread, do you have any experience with or knowledge of the items in the links in post #2 (popik's post)? I've done some reading up on those items, and have even seen YouTube videos showing the HD tuner in action in our trucks. I guess my concern is the ease of install and the reliability of the items. I'd really don't want to swap out the stock headunit if I don't have to, and it appears that those two items give me that option.

Thanks in advance for reading and responding.

Matt

BTW, I tried to PM you. I don't think the forum will allow me to do so because of my lack of posts.

• 3 weeks later...
I would look into the ISimple/Pac-Audio PXAMG or Gateway units. You can then add and HD radio tuner to them. Im looking at the same thing for my 07 but want to add the bluetooth mudule not the HD radio.

this is the Gateway...it should even work in your Tahoe

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1214

and this is the add-on HD tuner

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1117

Good luck

Hey all,

I installed the above in the Yukon yesterday. The toughest parts of the install was removing the trim piece around the center controls without breaking the piece and then running and locating wires. I guess I assumed that there was going to be more room to place and run stuff behind the radio. I ended up putting the Gateway in the space under the passenger airbag, and the HD tuner in the spare room above the radio and below the center vents.

Both items work well so far. Its going to take a while to get used to the new menu system. Also, I'm kinda bummed that I can't use the preset buttons in the stock fashion, but those are the prices to pay to keep the stock system.

If anyone is in the same situation that I am, I recommend these components. Get them new from eBay...I saved about $30 all together between both, and got free shipping.

Matt

too bad I just read this, I have this same setup laying around in my garage.

I found that HD radio signals sucked in my area so I pulled it out and now it's just laying on a shelf

Archived