I D Of 5.3 And 4.8 Engines

AFM or not.. thats how you tell. The 5.3 will come with the 6-speed and the 4.8 will still have the 4-speed in the newer trucks.

If it has it, then it's a 5.3, if not then it's a 4.8. Also could check the RPO codes to confirm it too.

Look at the eighth character in the vin. It's the engine code:

F = V-8 6.5L diesel

G = V-8 8.1L

J = V-8 7.4L

K = V-8 5.7L

L = I-4 2.5L

M = V-8 5.0L

P = V-8 5.3L

R = V-8 5.7L

S = V-6 4.2L

T = V-8 5.3L

U = V-8 6.0L

V = V-8 4.8L

W = V-6 4.3L

X = V-6 4.3L

1 = V-8 6.6L diesel

2 = V-8 6.6L diesel

4 = I-4 2.2L

5 = I-4 2.2L

6 = I-5 3.5L

Read more: How to Determine the Engine Code From the VIN on a Chevrolet Truck | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5813150_determine-...l#ixzz1DmDZrf2i

uh, I looked at my VIN, the 8th character is a "C" which is not on this list. If you follow the directions on ehow, it seems to state that you use the 8th character after the 1GC. IF you use that formula the 8th character on mine is a "Z" which is not on the list either....

I think there is a RPO code for the engine, anyone know what it is?

No need to two posts on the exact same topic... I gave you the way to find out in your other post.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Enter the vin number and it will tell you everything about your truck.

Both topics have been merged :lol:

Ran my VIN the RPO Code for 4.8L says LY2. It also says it has CYLINDER DEACTIVATION which seems to be common knowledge that is only on the 5.3L. How much can you actually trust this site?

LY2 ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 4.8L, SFI, IRON, CYLINDER DEACTIVATION GM 4.8C W/CYL DEACTVN(LY2)

Ran my VIN the RPO Code for 4.8L says LY2. It also says it has CYLINDER DEACTIVATION which seems to be common knowledge that is only on the 5.3L. How much can you actually trust this site?

LY2 ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 4.8L, SFI, IRON, CYLINDER DEACTIVATION GM 4.8C W/CYL DEACTVN(LY2)

:lol::)

:lol::)

I don't get it, did I miss something?

The emissions sticker underhood should say too.

As mikeNH said, check the emissions sticker on the factory airbox. It will be the easiest &

quickest way to find out what engine is there.

assuming the factory engine is still in place..... ;)

*the 8th digit of the VIN tells what motor is installed, the list given above may not be updated.

*you can also look for the "CATALYST" sticker under the hood/ on the air box/ on the radiator support and it will state what was originally installed

*the only trucks to get a 6 speed transmission was in crew cab with a 5.3L or 6.2L in 2009

if you are referring to looking at the motor itself and being able to tell, you can't.

the 4.8, 5.3, 6.2, 6.0 and 5.7 (LS1, LS6) are all dimensionally identical on the outside.

you can pull the transmission or the water pump and you can find the engine size cast in to the block, but for the 4.8L and 5.3L it just has 4.8/5.3 - they use the same block with a different stroke.

If we know that the motor is either a 4.8 or 5.3 there is another clue available, if the motor block is aluminum then it is a 5.3

but what if it was rebuilt with pistons, rods and crank of a 4.8L?

Therefore, the only way to be 100% certain of the displacement is to measure the stroke.

don't be surprised to find a swapped motor, I've installed a 6.0L in a 3 yr old truck that had only 50K miles on it before lol

Archived