Oem Cab Clearance Lights

2kvrt

Found a set of OEM amber cab lights ( big one in the middle, 2 smaller ones ), at the junkyard. Going to be installed on a 2001 2500hd. Will the recon template work or are the mounting hole locations different? They look identical on the outside but i didnt know if the holes are the same. I got the oem ones with a wiring harness cheaper then the recon ones so i figured id give it a shot.

I put the recon lights on my 09, I just measured a truck at the dealership that had lights. I used the GM wiring harness and had to custom fit the lights to work without having to drill such big holes like the factory does. I also followed the instructions on the recon website, it is for the GMT800 like your truck. Follow that and you will be just fine, Like they say measure twice, (three times is also good) drill once.

post-70843-1297583862_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at putting the smoked recon lights on mine also. The GM wiring harness you're referring to, is that the 264156Y wiring kit that recon sells?

I put the recon lights on my 09, I just measured a truck at the dealership that had lights. I used the GM wiring harness and had to custom fit the lights to work without having to drill such big holes like the factory does. I also followed the instructions on the recon website, it is for the GMT800 like your truck. Follow that and you will be just fine, Like they say measure twice, (three times is also good) drill once.

well i looked for my receipt and box but couldn't find them. I just went to the GM parts manager and told him to order a wiring harness for a truck with the cab lights, with minimal other stuff, because all I did was use the cab light wires only left everything else. I hope that helps, the harness was about 50 bucks two years ago.

At the time I bought my lights the wiring harness that recon sold would not work on the GMT900's that is why I bought the GM harness plug and play always better IMO

Just got my Recon kit and really not much for instructions except for the downloadable 2003 directions. The side lights in the newer kits have a bigger plastic piece surrounding the wire that needs a larger hole drilled into the truck to allow it fit. I was thinking about grinding down that plastic piece flush and drilling a smaller hole for the wire. Is that what your "custom fit" install was?

Do these measurements match a factory install? If not, what measurements did you use?

Side lights - 4 1/4 from the side seals to the side of the lights and 4 1/8 from the windshield seal to the front of the side lights

Center light - 3 1/8 from the windshield seal to the center of the center light.

Archived