"service Air Bag" Comes Up On My Dic

So sensor near radiator could be malfunctioning? Anything else that anyone knows of that could go wrong? If sensor needs to be replaced, I'm taking it is not an expensive thing to fix? My warranty will cover it, so if it is expensive to fix, the happier I am.

So sensor near radiator could be malfunctioning? Anything else that anyone knows of that could go wrong? If sensor needs to be replaced, I'm taking it is not an expensive thing to fix? My warranty will cover it, so if it is expensive to fix, the happier I am.

Yes, It COULD be the sensor.

It also could be 1 of about 1000 different problems. CHECK THE CODES!

I can't stand " part replacers"

Like everybody has said, check the code first. I just know that the front impact sensor is a very common problem. Though, I wouldn't just replace it without scanning first. Anyways, when I replaced one of the two front impact sensors I think it was around $100 give or take a bit.

I'm pretty sure as long as the light is on, the system is disabled.

Mark

Not true. Depends on the code. Certain parts may not deploy but others could if involved in a crash.

Thanks, I thought it shut the whole system down.

Mark

My Suburban showed the same light. I called Onstar and they gave me the fault code. Then I Googled the fault code and found a TSB that said the likely problem was a loose connection under the dash on the passenger side. So I was going to take it in to the mechanic but before I did, the light went out.

All that to say, you can go a long ways with a little research on your own.

I'm going to have it scanned this week. I did some searching and found quite a bit of problems of similar nature with front sensor near bumper, and winter weather. Thinking maybe salt has gotten on sensor, or moisture that froze. I did check uner seat to make sure nothing rolled under seat to cause problem and only wires I found were encased in what looks like a thin metal housing. Also came across a post where same thing happened on a different GM vehicle and the person didn't get it looked at right away and the air bag deployed on it's own. I know my air bag on PS has always been deactivated cause I can turn it off with key and prefer it off cause of snow plowing.

My diagnoses on air bag problem. The left sensor failed under front bumper, needs to be replaced. Also have 2 leaking manifolds, bolts broke off near firewall again and revised bolts were used 1 1/2 years ago with new manifolds. $854 + job and my warranty is covering all of it! Good thing this all happened now cause warranty is about to expire in a couple months, however I am not happy that I will continue to have problems with manifold bolts breaking off and manifolds need replacing under every 2 years. At least it is better then the F250's, where I had to replace manifolds every 12-14 months. But still an expensive headache if no more warrnty to cover it. I apid $2999 for extended warranty and it has now paid for itself and saved me money as well.

BTW, I'm not going to use GM's revised manifold bolts this time, gonna go with some stainless steel ones from a machine shop. They just have to match them up. This is where the problem starts, the bolts crack off, then manifolds eventially crack from heating up and cooling down after bolts are broke off. The SS bolts should hopefully stop this problem and make the manifolds last longer.

Those revised manifold bolts GM came out with in late 04. They appeared to have some sort of thread lock substance on them, to make sure they lock in well. Well getting the bolts out without breaking may be a costly job. My warranty covers 1.5 hrs of labor for each manifold, and extra time I have to pay for. I got a call from the shop telling me worst case scenerio with getting the bolts out. I have faith that all will go well in getting out the bolts, cause they came out in uncer 1.5 the last time and some were broken off. If for any reason these revised bolts don't come out easy, I would have to say that the lock type substance that comes on the bolts would be the culprit.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am going with stainless steal bolts this time around and will never use GM's manifold bolts again.

Archived