Proper Fuel Pressure For 1996 4.3l

ron16

I have a 96 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 4.3L and am having trouble getting fuel to start it. In the last 500 miles I have done a complete tune up and replaced the fuel filter. It starts easily if I pour a small amount of fuel directly into the throttle body and runs great once it starts. I tested the fuel pressure today and it sets at 45 pounds at pre-start and does not bleed down. Is 45 pounds enough pressure? I have heard that these throttle bodies need 60-62 pounds of fuel pressure. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Ron

from memory, it takes 52 psi and at 51 it won't start, might of been 62 and at 61 it doesn't start. In either case there isn't much difference between working and not. Take the bed off to replace the pump, so much easier than dropping the tank. You can do it by yourself if you raise each side a couple of inches at a time, support the bed with scrap 2x4 or similar. Raise it just enough for the fender to clear the tire or the drum (if you take the tires off) and slide it back a couple of feet. Not a hard job but you'll need a special tool to release the fuel lines, cheap ones at Autozone will do the trick. Good luck

Archived