Please Help Timing Issues With My 454 1995 C3500

ok so over the weekend i got caught in the middle of the night 5 hours away from home with a bad distributor...

i left the truck at a garage(along with my credit card #) and came back sunday to my truck in the parking lot with the keys under the seat and a new distributor,cap,rotor,coil...problem is the timing was off. i got home and now i cant seem to get rid of this timing issue/stumble when i give it like 1/8 throttle.

the truck is a 1995 gmc c3500 w/7.4l454 when i set the timing theres a main groove on the balancer then lines on either side i think 4*btc would be to the right of the center groove (2 lines over to the right to be exact) am i correct? because when i did this it still seems to have a stumble... i had the est plug unplugged when i set the timing

am i correct about the timing marks? is before tdc to the right on the balancer or to the left???

and what should the timing be set at? someone told me 0* and someone else said 4* any help would be greatly appreciated after getting killed on the price i cannot afford to bring it anywhere and the guy who did this is 4+hours away

i could really use some help thank you for all and any hot tips

We have the same engine so I shot a little video for ya.Wasn't easy holding the timing light & the camera at the same time but I think you'll get the picture.Keep in mind the engine was cold and the revs were up some but you'll see the timing pointer is to the right of the line on the dampner.The white line is 4* BTDC,but I have the timing set at 6* or 8* before.For some reason any 454 I've had is a dog at OEM timing.Bumping it up to 6 or 8 before helps a lot.Hope this helps... :)

Archived