2010 Silverado Air Conditioner/defreoster Issue/problem

Irrating issue. Seems that when the temp drops below 35 degrees F, the air conditioner compressor gets locked out and won't come on when the defrost settings are selected, and the windows fog up!!

When it's above 35 degrees, seems that the compressor cycles and doesn't stay on for as long as I think (or like) it should. I read thru a bit of the air conditioning sticky, but the whole thing seems hokey.

So is there a way (mod, overide, etc) to get/allow the air conditioner run for defrost below 35 degrees? I do live in Settle, but I'm very particular about keeping the truck dry, and I just don't understand why this new truck is so prone to having the windows fog up, - my old 96 F-150 never did anything like this. My new truck is a 2010 4X4 with 5.3L auto, reg cab, short box.

Thanks,

MM3

Irrating issue. Seems that when the temp drops below 35 degrees F, the air conditioner compressor gets locked out and won't come on when the defrost settings are selected, and the windows fog up!!

When it's above 35 degrees, seems that the compressor cycles and doesn't stay on for as long as I think (or like) it should. I read thru a bit of the air conditioning sticky, but the whole thing seems hokey.

So is there a way (mod, overide, etc) to get/allow the air conditioner run for defrost below 35 degrees? I do live in Settle, but I'm very particular about keeping the truck dry, and I just don't understand why this new truck is so prone to having the windows fog up, - my old 96 F-150 never did anything like this. My new truck is a 2010 4X4 with 5.3L auto, reg cab, short box.

Thanks,

MM3

there is a bulletin for a similar concern, 10-01-38-001, All Equipped with HVAC System RPOs C42, C67 or CJ3

All Built Prior to February 17, 2010just throwing it out there maybe your problem, may not.

Thanks,

MM3

Just got back from the dealership, I was told that mine was the second one they fixed since GM came out with a software recalibration of the HVAC. They said the other person has had no trouble since the fix, so I'm hoping that is the end of my cab fogging up.

When I went in I handed them this and they new all about it.

Subject: Excessive Cabin Moisture/Reduced Window Clearing

Models:

2010-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2010-2011 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

With RPO C67 or CJ3

Manual Hvac System

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

CONDITION/CONCERN:

In rare cases, some customers may comment of excessive cabin moisture or difficulty keeping the

windows clear in low ambient temperatures.

RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS:

If normal diagnostics do not lead to a correction, inspect the HVAC recirculation door by lowering the

glove box. The door should be in the "Fresh Air" position, which closes off the recirculation opening

behind the glove box when the HVAC controls are in the floor to defrost position. If not, then follow

the procedure below:

1. Turn the vehicle ON.

2. Set the HVAC controls to a Vent/Panel position.

3. Press the Recirculation button on the control head.

4. Move the HVAC controls back to a Floor / Defrost position

5. Verify the Recirculation door has moved to the Fresh Air position by visual inspection.

6. Return the vehicle back to the owner and instruction them NOT to use the recirculation button and

that Engineering is working on a software update.

7. If the vehicle returns with this concern and the recirculation door is again in the recirculation

position then Contact GM Technical Assistance.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition

exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be

performed.

Thanks,

MM3

Just got back from the dealership, I was told that mine was the second one they fixed since GM came out with a software recalibration of the HVAC. They said the other person has had no trouble since the fix, so I'm hoping that is the end of my cab fogging up.

When I went in I handed them this and they new all about it.

Subject: Excessive Cabin Moisture/Reduced Window Clearing

Models:

2010-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2010-2011 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

With RPO C67 or CJ3

Manual Hvac System

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

CONDITION/CONCERN:

In rare cases, some customers may comment of excessive cabin moisture or difficulty keeping the

windows clear in low ambient temperatures.

RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS:

If normal diagnostics do not lead to a correction, inspect the HVAC recirculation door by lowering the

glove box. The door should be in the "Fresh Air" position, which closes off the recirculation opening

behind the glove box when the HVAC controls are in the floor to defrost position. If not, then follow

the procedure below:

1. Turn the vehicle ON.

2. Set the HVAC controls to a Vent/Panel position.

3. Press the Recirculation button on the control head.

4. Move the HVAC controls back to a Floor / Defrost position

5. Verify the Recirculation door has moved to the Fresh Air position by visual inspection.

6. Return the vehicle back to the owner and instruction them NOT to use the recirculation button and

that Engineering is working on a software update.

7. If the vehicle returns with this concern and the recirculation door is again in the recirculation

position then Contact GM Technical Assistance.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition

exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be

performed.

Wow, good information....

But I have a few questions. First off, what is this thing called, a "Technical Bulliten" (i.e. what does GM call these things?). Ford calls them TSB's.

Secondly, where did you get it ? (and what is the bulliten number?

Step 6 says to tell the customer to "wait" for a software update, but you indicate that you were the second one that the dealer "fixed", so does this imply that the software fix is available, and that they applied the software fix?

If so, I wonder what the software actually fixes? I ran thru the procedure above, and it all works normally, - any Vent/Panel position and pressing the recirc button moves the door, but moving the knob to Floor/defrost turns off the recirc light, and moves the door to the fresh air position, so I don't see anytihing out of line there.

My guess is that they just want to verify that this all works, and that the software fix is just a deal to NOT lock out the air conditioning compressor at 35 degrees (thus defeating the defrost function).

Thanks so much for tipping me on to this, but as I said, curious where you got it at, and when you got this bullitin, and when did you get your vehicle fixed ?

Lastly, why is this not a Recall, and a recall notice mailed out ? (or does GM not do this?)

I've never had a brand new GM, so I don't know how they operate. I got a new Dodge Challenger in '09, and they are always sending me recall notices for all sorts of little piddly stuff.

Thanks again!

MM3

Archived