Spare Tire Hoist Problems

glnisbet

Well it finally happened had a flat tire at 6000 miles on the Interstate, went to lower the spare and it would not drop :smash: . Car whizzing by at 70 mph and I have to crawl under vehicle and try to discover what is wrong. Find that plastic tube that runs from the bumper to hoist is not aligned and that tire tool cannot make contact with hoist. After much pulling and pushing I was able to get tube aligned so that tire tool would let tire drop. I did some research on this site and was amazed at the problems this setup causes I was thankful that the secondary latch system was not messed up. Spare goes in bed from now on. Hate to think about trying to do this with low or no light in the dark or bad weather. Take time to check out your spare tire hoist assembly before you need it. There is a lot of discussions relating to this on this site and other GM sites.

Why are you complaining? You were able to get the tire to DROP! :smash::lol:

I still have a scar on my hand from trying to get mine down. :lol:

I ruined mine hoist getting the tire off and bought a new hoist assembly from my GM dealer. Oddly enough it came without the secondary latch. :)

Archived