Rear End Noise And Transmission Question?!?

Ok, So i'm trying to figure out if this is just another GM quirk, or if there is something wrong. Problem one: when one wheel spins on the snow, (open diff, not a G80 code Posi rear) the side that doesn't spin sounds like it's trying to engage somehow, but doesnt, and makes a whirring/grinding sound. Not too loud, but definatly noticable, this normal for a non posi diff, or does this sound like something has gone Arye? Problem Two: when on the throttle more than 40%, the 1 into 2 shift change is verrrry sloopy.. like hesitates to click into 2nd gear. would a simple trans flush take care of this? or does this sound like a tranny problem? I just spent $4100 on a new motor, i'd hate to dump more into a trans. the truck only has 120000 miles. I just bought this thing like 6 weeks ago, I miss my 98 K1500 :thumbs: Any input would be great! thanx!

Normal, yes. Good for it? No lol, spinning one wheel for any length of time can damage it.

Id assume you have to remove the ring/pinion, bolt on new differential, reinstall ring/pinion. Id recommend you let a shop take care of that. Install would probably be around 500+

A decent differential will be 500+

If the rear end has never been touched, id recommend all new bearings as well.

Archived