Sealer With Differential Cover Gasket?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hikerboy

hikerboy

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Will be changing the rear axle fluid on my '05 Z-71 1500 Sierra soon, I picked up a Fel-Pro paper differential cover gasket from the local NAPA store.......should I install the gasket with something like Permatex Form-A-Gasket #2, coating both sides of the gasket, or just install the gasket dry, or perhaps with a light coating of grease to hold it in place? Just want to get a "leak free" installation. Thanks for the help!!

#2 Westlotorn

Westlotorn

Enthusiast

• 201 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:29 AM

A little permatex spread as thin as you can does two things for you, first it seals small scratches that could be a leak path and second it helps hold the gasket in place for installation. It needs to be on both sides of the gasket because scratches or imperfections can be on either side. Another option is to use Silicone sealer with no gasket. If you bump the diff cover with a gasket in place it is less likely to leak. If you bump the same differential with silicone sealer it sometimes opens a leak path. I have used silicone in all my Chevys since 1984, I saw it was OEM on my 84 Suburban Diesel so I figured it was good enough for me.

#3 jwhjr

jwhjr

Enthusiast

• 251 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:54 AM

Just use the Permatex Ultra Grey with no gasket and you'll be fine. Going on 2 yrs with no leaks on mine.

#4 88k5

88k5

Enthusiast

• 238 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

I have always used permatex ultra black. Only need a little on the cover side. The axle housing face is machined so it is smooth and flat.

I uasualy don't even use a gasket for diff covers. Just run a bead around the cover and slap it in place.
Been doing it like that for 25 years and never had one leak.
2010 GMC SIERRA SLT ALLTERRAIN Z71 4X4 6.2L SILVER/BLACK INT.
7.5'' RCX LIFT; 35/12.5/18 HANKOOK DYNAPRO; HELO H442

Posted Image

#5 K1500Tech

K1500Tech

Enthusiast

• 160 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:49 PM

I have just the paper gasket on mine with no leaks
Posted Image
CCM leveling kit, Ranch Hand grill guard, Ranch Hand rear bumper, Tinted windows, 18" XD Series Monsters, 275/70R18 BFG TAKO'S, Xenon depot H.I.D.'s , and Katzkin leather interior.

#6 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,940 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

I have just the paper gasket on mine with no leaks

+1

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#7 hikerboy

hikerboy

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the help, now I just need some warmer and drier weather!

#8 tanked_darren

tanked_darren

Industrial Mechanic

• 2,334 posts
  • Drives:2007 GMC SIERRA, 2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

Just use the Permatex Ultra Grey with no gasket and you'll be fine. Going on 2 yrs with no leaks on mine.

I have always used permatex ultra black. Only need a little on the cover side. The axle housing face is machined so it is smooth and flat.

I uasualy don't even use a gasket for diff covers. Just run a bead around the cover and slap it in place.
Been doing it like that for 25 years and never had one leak.

+1

I use copper permatex just in case my diff heats up to several hundred degrees :idiot:
2007 GMT-900 GMC 1500 W/T 4.8L V-8 2wd auto 4L60E, 3.23 gear ratio
Reg. Cab, 6'6" Box, BLACK
Added myself: GM fog light kit, DIC panel, OGM-1, Camera Source Back-up Cam, Sirius dock.
Added otherwise: Leer Canopy. Linex bedliner+over-rail.
2001 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door, 2.2L OHV, 4T40e, Kenwood Excelon 9990HD, Sirius dock, Bass Car! Gas saver for work as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users