How Often To Change Fuel Filter?

I have a 2006 silverado with 47K on it. I was thinking of replacing the fuel filter, but my buddy said it would be pointless with that few of miles. My question to you guys is how often do you change yours?

Thanks!

As pointed out, you don't have one that is serviceable. It's in the tank and part of the fuel pump assembly. So you drive until it fails.

Edit: I will add that flex fuel models still had an external filter even after all the others had in-tank filters. Just don't know the years right now

The fuel filter was moved to the fuel tank in 04 and is not serviceable with the exception of the flex fuel and the 4.3 V6. The flex fuel was moved to the tank in 05 as I believe was the 4.3 V6. I have seen a late model 05 V6 with the filter in the tank.

This was done in conjunction with the returnless fuel system.

So, mine is an 05, and according to a RPO decoding, I have a Flex fuel engine (no badging or any indication anywhere). I should have an internal filter right? Where would it be if it were an odd-ball with an external filter?

So, mine is an 05, and according to a RPO decoding, I have a Flex fuel engine (no badging or any indication anywhere). I should have an internal filter right? Where would it be if it were an odd-ball with an external filter?

Yours should be in the tank and will not be serviceable.

If you had one, it'd be on the inside of the driver side frame rail. On my 03 (reg cab) it was maybe a foot behind the cab if memory serves. Looks just like the one on your Z- silver canister maybe 3" diameter and 4" long.

I think after 04, the filters were in the fuel tank and are good for 100,000 miles :cheers:

It's not a filter, only a strainer and it is good until first batch of bad gas you pump in. :lol:

I think after 04, the filters were in the fuel tank and are good for 100,000 miles :cheers:

It's not a filter, only a strainer and it is good until first batch of bad gas you pump in. :lol:

Yea IMO this is one of GM's more retarded ideas. :lol:

definitely a design flaw....that engineer should be fired.......

definitely a design flaw....that engineer should be fired.......

I have to say I agree with you guys. This does not sound too smart considering how often I had to change the fuel filter in my '02.

Archived