Hub Bearing Going Bad

It seems way too common for these front hub bearings to go bad. I am going to have to change one on my 2005 Z71 with only 45K miles. I have a new Timken unit ready to go and have the old bolts soaking in PB Blaster. I have searched all over and I cannot find the torque specs for my year. I found numbers for 2003 which are probably the same but I'd like some reassurance. I need the axle nut torque and the torque for the three mounting bolts. I guess I'll need caliper bracket bolt torque too.

Thanks in advance!

I believe the hub-to-knuckle bolt torque is 133 ft-lbs.

Brake caliper bolts are 125 ft-lbs.

CV Axle Nut torque is 155 ft-lbs.

These values i got from my BDS lift kit installation instructions. Double check for yourself here (BDS Lift Kit Install Sheet. Go to page 14.

Hope this helps!

Don't know if this is legal or not but here is the installation portion of that task in PDF format. I selected it based on your year and model but assumed it was a 4wd. Lemme know if this is accurate. I can get the full task for you but I wont be able to upload it here with the attachment size limitation. If you would like you can send me a message or something and i can look it up for you.

good Luck.

docSyskey_875921_pubCellSys.pdf

Don't know if this is legal or not but here is the installation portion of that task in PDF format. I selected it based on your year and model but assumed it was a 4wd. Lemme know if this is accurate. I can get the full task for you but I wont be able to upload it here with the attachment size limitation. If you would like you can send me a message or something and i can look it up for you.

good Luck.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Yes, I found a couple of big .pdfs while looking around They had information for thousands of different vehicles. I finally ended up subscribing to Chilton's since I plan to keep the truck. Maybe I can return the favor for ya'll.

I'm sure you have seen numerous posts on this, but from what I gathered, many repeat, early failures are attributed to not properly torquing the axle nut on the 4x4 models. Otherwise, it appears to be pretty straight forward.

I don't have the 4x4 model, but was doing a lot of reading in preparation for a wheel speed sensor / possible hub replacement.

Good luck.

Per GM the torque spec for the cv nut is 177ft.lbs.

If I remember right, around 02-03 GM had updated it from 155ft.lbs due to premature failures.

I wish whatever it was they would have fixed it cause I had to replace mine at 70k and its an 06. If it was just bearings I wouldn't complain but having to buy the whole dang hub sucked.

yah both of mine just went at 80k and one was so rusted on there i cant get the 3 bolts off ven after i soaked it for 2 days with pb blaster. now i stripped two of the bolts and am going to shop to get in professionally installed

Archived