Whats The Hp & Tq Specs On A 6.0

I call 11 mpg loaded and 18 mpg unloaded HUGE BS. Just took a few hundred mile trip with a very similar load, '08 CC/SB HD with the 6L/6L90/3.73 combo and never got over 8 mpg going 70 mph. Not super impressed and neither is

it's owner.

its not possible to get that fuel milage with the 6.0l... 18 mpg means about 450 miles per tank for a standard bed and over 600 miles per tank for a long bed----thats better than the dmax....

i have been driving a 2010 crew cab lb for the past month and i cant get 400 kms per tank(second of three in our fleet), realistically 10 mpg is what the 6.0l is capable of...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I call 11 mpg loaded and 18 mpg unloaded HUGE BS. Just took a few hundred mile trip with a very similar load, '08 CC/SB HD with the 6L/6L90/3.73 combo and never got over 8 mpg going 70 mph. Not super impressed and neither is

it's owner.

its not possible to get that fuel milage with the 6.0l... 18 mpg means about 450 miles per tank for a standard bed and over 600 miles per tank for a long bed----thats better than the dmax....

i have been driving a 2010 crew cab lb for the past month and i cant get 400 kms per tank(second of three in our fleet), realistically 10 mpg is what the 6.0l is capable of...

FYI

Hell, on my vacation 2 years ago, my Vmax got near 19mpg on my vacation trip. So... it IS possible. That was loaded with family and beach gear.

GMT-900 Crewcab 6.0L, 4L70e trans, 4.10 gears with Diablo tune and corsa exhaust. :( I believe the biggest part of why it did so well was the fact that I maintained an average speed 68mph and resisted the urge to "fly".

Edit:

The original post I made :spam:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...c=99609&hl=

Stevens11

The biggest difference would be your VMAX is a half ton, while the rest of the 6.0s they are talking about are 3/4 tons, big weight difference there. Are the VMAXs and the 6.0 in the HDs even the same engine, i don't think so, but not positive.

Stevens11

The biggest difference would be your VMAX is a half ton, while the rest of the 6.0s they are talking about are 3/4 tons, big weight difference there. Are the VMAXs and the 6.0 in the HDs even the same engine, i don't think so, but not positive.

Not disputing the HDs are heavier either but the new trucks also have the 6-speed... But to claim the 6.0L is not capable of decent mileage for a "medium duty" truck is just not true :dunno: It is rated to tow 10,500lbs

Comparison between LY6 and L76 motors

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-...you-choose.html

Not disputing the HDs are heavier either but the new trucks also have the 6-speed... But to claim the 6.0L is not capable of decent mileage for a "medium duty" truck is just not true :dunno: It is rated to tow 10,500lbs

Agreed, but the two 6.0L are not even the same engines and there not even in the same truck, so they can't really be compared evenely. Both on there own are very capable, but in different ways. Not trying so start an argument, just wanted to bring this up. And thanks for the link, very interesting! :dunno:

Stevens11

the half ton 6.0l and the hd 6.0l are totally different animals. the drive trains(except trannies) are also not comparable.

Oh good lord,.. No worries, Just throwing additional information out there for the OP. We all have opinions and facts to share :dunno:

Bottom line, the 6.0 in either form will do the job the OP's asking but neither will compare to the 8.1 in torque. So it's all in what he wants.

Stevens11

your loaded vmax probably weighes the same as an empty hd truck like mine... any motor can get great mileage when untaxed, however running a motor under load is the only test of its efficiency....

the 6.0l is not capable of decent milage for a medium duty truck when the truck is at capacity, and that is what matters for a medium duty truck...

Oh good lord,.. No worries, Just throwing additional information out there for the OP. We all have opinions and facts to share :dunno:

riddle me this, what truck is more fun, your VMAX or your 6.2L :dunno:

Sorry to the OP, my next reply will be on topic, well maybe :P

riddle me this, what truck is more fun, your VMAX or your 6.2L :P

Hands down, the 6.2L. Night and day IMO. The Vmax was a fun truck and it ran great... AFTER it was tuned. The 6.2L would/will run circles around my previous truck in power and performance. I can't wait to see how I feel after it's tuned. I'm not expecting alot, but believe it will be better than stock :dunno:

riddle me this, what truck is more fun, your VMAX or your 6.2L :dunno:

i think most of this is on point...

i have a fleet truck 2010 with 10kkms that i cant get 400 kms per tank and cannot perform like my dmax under any load. the op asked about a 2010 or 2011 6.0l or a 2005-2006 dmax.

bottom line is that there is no comparision, the diesel is much more power plant in the same truck, it the better option if the op is going to be hauling and can justify the price premium..

riddle me this, what truck is more fun, your VMAX or your 6.2L :P

Hands down, the 6.2L. Night and day IMO. The Vmax was a fun truck and it ran great... AFTER it was tuned. The 6.2L would/will run circles around my previous truck in power and performance. I can't wait to see how I feel after it's tuned. I'm not expecting alot, but believe it will be better than stock :dunno:

You will notice a big difference once tuned, mostly because of the tuned tranny, it is much more fun to drive, exspecially when the tranny is in full race mode(aggresive up and down shifting and no TM)

And for the OP, remember that in MY 2011 the HDs have an all new chassis that is more capable then the previous. Also with the price of fuel going up and all the extra maintence costs of the diesel it is hard to justify one, remember, diesels like to be run hard, they do not like runs to the super market. If it was my DD i would pick gas any day, but if it was a dedicated puller then i would go diesel. JMO

2005 2500HD CC 6.5' bed, 6.0L, 4L80e &4.11's

6.0L is listed as 300 HP

Towing a 6000 lb enclosed car hauler at 65 to 70 mph - Florida / Georgia - 8.9 to 10.2 mpg

Running 65-70 mph on the freeways - empty - - the best I've seen so far is 13.2 mpg

Daily Driving in town - 10.2 to 11 mpg

The truck has just turned 40K miles

My bottom line - the truck does exactly what I expected.

FWIW,

Carl B.

• 1 year later...

Just to revive this, I have an 09 crew cab, 4x4, 2500, with 6.0l and towing package (4.10 rear end) and in a trip to Reno last summer I drove an entire tank at 55mph on flat roads in southern Oregon and averaged 16.3 mpg (19.65 miles per imperial gallon). That is with tires at factory recommended settings and just a small suitcase each for me and my wife and some tools - so about 500 lbs of extra weight. My truck scales at about 7000lbs. I assume this is about the best I could do in this truck. At 70 mph I get closer to about 12 mpg. Where I live in BC there are lots of hills and I have had a dodge HD (hemi) with 3.73 rear axle and it got dismal fuel economy as the gearing made it underpowered - I prefer the 4.10 rear end in the mountains. The 6.0l 2500 HD also gets a 12,500 lb trailer (flat tow) and 14,000 lb (fifth wheel) rating versus no fifth wheel rating with the 3.73 axle. I usually get around 10-12 mpg (us gallon) in the city.

If i got a newer 6.0 VS the 8.1 or duramax.. how much hp & tq do you think ill pick up with a decent intake, exhaust, and blackbear tune.. the 8.1 i have now is great.. the tq is what ill miss the most especially with the 4;10 rear. the gas mpgs is just starting to kill me as a daily driver. all im pulling is a camper between 6-7000 lbs and firewood,pellets,etc...

Given what you're towing and the mileage you'd like to see I would consider a 1500 with the 6.2. Over 400 HP plenty of torque and decent mileage as well. The six speed mated to 3.73 gears is also similar to the 4.10's but with lower hwy rpms. My 2012 is rated at 10,700 towing capacity. My 07 vmax was rated at 367hp and 10,200, my 02 2500hd at 300hp and 10000. All are capable of doing the job, but the 6.2 mated to the six speed with 3.73's is a great setup.

Archived