Key Will Not Turn In Ignition

maxattack

Question

Hey all,

Odd problem here. I have an 01 Yukon (its a Denali XL if that matters) and all of a sudden the key will not turn in the ignition tumbler. Never had any signs of an ignition switch issue before, the steering is not locked, it is all the way in park (I took the cover off and can see the pawl on the column) and I have tried both keys that are programmed to the truck just in case and that didnt work either.

I called my local locksmith who is great, all the local shops and dealers use them to ask if they had heard of this. He said he had, and that if I can get the tumbler out, odds are its a simple fix. The tumbler doesnt release unless youre in the run position, so somehow this key has to turn forward. I have tried the tricks of compressed air, lock lube, tapping on the key (gently) and nothing has worked. Key comes in and out like normal but doesnt budge when you try to turn it.

Any help would be great, Id like to get this thing outta the driveway ASAP before the g/f gets ideas about taking my C5 to work because the truck is blocking in her car! :)

Thanks much,

Brandon

0 answers to this question

I had the same thing, and I fixed it by spraying WD-40 down the tumbler, inserting the key and tapping it lightly with a hammer (because it's solid) and it eventually worked. I've had to do the same thing with with my door locks from time to time because I never use them since I have keyless entry, so they get a lil grimed up every now and then. But I want to make sure I can get in the truck in case anything "electrical" goes wrong, I can still get in mechanically.

Good luck! Post your progress

James

James,

The locksmith recommended the same thing and I tried that yesterday with no luck. I sprayed some QD cleaner in there, blew it out with air, then shot some spray lube in. I tapped it with a hammer for awhile with no luck. What seems odd is now the electrical system doesnt seem to be reacting to the key being in the ignition. It used to make the locks cycle and add the chime if the door was open and now it doesnt even do that. I was tapping it gently, I just hope I didnt make it worse somehow.

Has anyone had to remove the igntion switch without being able to turn the key forward? I fear drilling through something aiming for that pin and wrecking the column.

Brandon

Happens to me alot, having both an '07 Tahoe and an '09 Sierra. Usually it's because some dumb-*ss picked up the wrong set of keys. I just get out, get in the other vehicle, and it always cranks right up. I'm lucky, I guess.

Haha BigBlueLB756!!!! That's funny.

Brandon, sounds like the tumbler is shot, and needs replacement. I don't have experience replacing one with a key in it, but I don't see how it would be much different than a key in there.

Best of luck! Sorry I couldn't offer much of a solution.

James

Have you really tried jiggling the key while in the cylinder up and down (and forward if that makes sense) Lots of times at work we have to do this with worn keys/cylinders. your other option would be to drill through the cylinder but make sure not to go too far. Or just take it to a mechanic! lol.

I have jiggled the key in every possible direction. And you dont just drill through the cylinder, there is a pin you have to hit. I am not a mechanic as my day job any longer, but I have replaced ignition switch many times. I have never seen a key/tumbler so stuck. The assembly comes out really easily, when the stupid key turns forward!

I am not above paying a pro to do this, at this point Id be glad to. However, if the key doesnt turn to take the truck out of park or to let the front wheels turn, cant really tow it.

Haha BigBlueLB756!!!! That's funny.

Brandon, sounds like the tumbler is shot, and needs replacement. I don't have experience replacing one with a key in it, but I don't see how it would be much different than a key in there.

Best of luck! Sorry I couldn't offer much of a solution.

James

James,

The tumbler doesnt release without the key turned forward. It is very simple if you can get the key to move, that is my dilema here.

Keep the ideas coming guys, but I have a feeling the drill will be coming out soon. :dunno:

I've had this problem a couple of times in Fred. I don't know what the cause, or the solution, is though. I usually sit there and take the key in and out over and over, trying to turn it. It's worked the couple of times I've had the problem. Happened MAYBE three times in a few years.

Have you really tried jiggling the key while in the cylinder up and down (and forward if that makes sense) Lots of times at work we have to do this with worn keys/cylinders. your other option would be to drill through the cylinder but make sure not to go too far. Or just take it to a mechanic! lol.

I could make no discernible difference by jiggling the key around. It didn't do a thing that I could tell. :dunno:

Problem solved guys. Got a new key cut just as a cheap last resort before getting the drill out and just a little bit of messing with it, using the fresh cut key and it turned! New tumbler going in, woohoo! Thanks for everyones replies and input. :cool:

Brandon

i know i had an issue on a previous truck like this, and you had to pull the wheel to the left or right and then you could turn the key

Tried that too man, rocked the wheel both ways didnt make a difference. First thing I thought was that I bumped the wheel with my knee when I last got out but the wheel feels totally normal.

I had the same thing, and I fixed it by spraying WD-40 down the tumbler, inserting the key and tapping it lightly with a hammer (because it's solid) and it eventually worked. I've had to do the same thing with with my door locks from time to time because I never use them since I have keyless entry, so they get a lil grimed up every now and then. But I want to make sure I can get in the truck in case anything "electrical" goes wrong, I can still get in mechanically.

Good luck! Post your progress

James

what about a new key,it says you tried other keys ,not sure if you tried a new key

I didnt try a brand new key, but I figured it was possible the key I use everyday was getting a little worn. My back-up key is not brand new but its in much better shape than my regular. Both keys felt the same in the ignition and the back-up did the same as my regular key.

Keep em coming guys, I appreciate it the replies.

Archived