Oil In Intake Manifold

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kjctaco

kjctaco

Enthusiast

• 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

I am in the process of replacing my knock sensors. When I removed the intake manifold I found a small pool of oil sitting in the intake behind the throttle body. What would cause this? Is it possibly a clogged PVC? Any help would be apprecited. 2003 Gmc Yukon XL 106,000 miles 5.3l

Edited by kjctaco, 08 March 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#2 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

Higher Than Expected Engine Oil Consumption (Replace PCV Valve) #01-06-01-029
Higher than Expected Engine Oil Consumption (Replace PCV Valve)
1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Models

2002 Cadillac Escalade

with 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs T, N, U - RPOs LM7, LQ9, LQ4)

Condition
Some customers may comment on higher than expected engine oil consumption. They may further comment on consumption in the range of 2,000 miles (3,200 km) or less per quart (0.946 liter) of oil under normal driving conditions.

Cause
The condition may be due to the PCV Valve flow rate under certain engine operating conditions.

Correction
Verify that the oil consumption is not the result of an oil leak or other engine concern.
Dealer should perform an oil consumption test. The vehicle should have accumulated over 4,000 miles (6,450 km) before establishing the oil consumption rate. Reference Service Bulletin #01-06-01-011, Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guideline, for details.
Remove the PCV Valve and inspect the hose going to the intake manifold for signs of excessive oil being present.
If excessive oil is present in the PCV hose, replace the PCV Valve Type 948C (2) with a new-style fixed orifice PCV Valve Type CV2001-C (1). See Fig. 1 - PCV Valve Identification.
FIGURE Figure 1 -- PCV Valve Identification©

(1) New style fixed orifice PCV Valve Type CV2001-C
(2) Spring and plunger style PCV Valve Type 948-C

Important
Do not install the new style fixed orifice PCV Valve on vehicles equipped with the 4.8L V8 Engine (RPO LR4). Use of this orifice on the 4.8L V8 engine may affect engine idle quality and engine RPM control.

Important
The new style fixed orifice PCV Valve contains no moving parts, and does not rattle when shaken.

If the vehicle has an orifice style PCV Valve, investigate other causes for high oil consumption.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Valve, PCV Type CV2001-C

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Or a good oil catch can...

Posted Image

#3 stetsie

stetsie

Enthusiast

• 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

I would like to replace my PCV valve in my truck. It wouldn't hurt anything to install the new PCV valve even if I don't have an oil consumption problem would it?

And to double check, is that the PVC valve in the photo attached above feeding the silver canister in the engine bay?

Thanks

#4 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

I would like to replace my PCV valve in my truck. It wouldn't hurt anything to install the new PCV valve even if I don't have an oil consumption problem would it?

And to double check, is that the PVC valve in the photo attached above feeding the silver canister in the engine bay?

Thanks

Your 2005 has a fixed orifice PCV valve that is made in the valve cover and is not replaceable. That started in 2004,

Edited by snakedoctor, 08 March 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#5 kjctaco

kjctaco

Enthusiast

• 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

So i checked my PCV and i already have the fixed orfice style. So do i need a catch can system? Please excuse my ignorance, haven't ever had this issue before. What prevents the oil from being sucked from the catch can into the manifold?

#6 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

So i checked my PCV and i already have the fixed orfice style. So do i need a catch can system? Please excuse my ignorance, haven't ever had this issue before. What prevents the oil from being sucked from the catch can into the manifold?

If you buy the cheap ones on ebay...nothing. many of them are empty cans. Mine has a filtering system that prevents it.

http://www.accmachte...m/catchcans.asp

http://www.eliteengi.../Catch_Can.html

#7 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Don't call me,and I won't call you!

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,911 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

If you buy the cheap ones on ebay...nothing. many of them are empty cans. Mine has a filtering system that prevents it.

I ordered an Elite Engineering one for my Camaro.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#8 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

I ordered an Elite Engineering one for my Camaro.

Thats a good one. When I got my AMW can Elite Engineering was just developing them. They are top notch quality.

#9 Burnthefurniture

Burnthefurniture

Enthusiast

• 227 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

After reading all of the information about this issue, and studying up on it for the past 3 weeks, I ordered an AMW can tonight. I can't wait for the thing to get here so I can put it on! I have no doubt it will help, my intake gets dirty in the blink of an eye.
Posted Image
2006 Silverado Crewcab 5.3 Liter, Corsa DB Catback, EFI Live Tune, Ranchhand(s), Daystars, 265's and Yukon 4.11's

#10 cujo8

cujo8

Enthusiast

• 317 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:22 AM

I noticed what appeared to be an oil puddle on the inlet side of my throttle body assembly when I removed my Banks CAI from my 2006 GMC w/5.3L V8, prior to trading my truck in on a 2011 GMC. I was thinking that the oil must have come from my aftermarket Banks air-filter, since there is no PCV venting on the CAI system I had installed. I didn't think there was that much oil in the Banks airfilter as shipped from the manufacture and I never reoiled it myself. Is there any other explaination for the oil puddle (~1 tsp) I found in front of the throttle body?
2011 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4x4 w/ 5.3 V8 & 6-Speed Automatic

Sold:
2006 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE Extended-Cab 4x4 w/ 5.3L L33 HO V8 and 4-Speed Automatic.
Mods: Banks CAI, Banks Monster CAT back exhaust, Bilstein Shocks, Dorman Intermediate Steering Shaft, Denso Irridium Sparkplugs, MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm sparkplug Wires, Husky Mud-Flaps, Luverne SS Side Steps. 93 Octane-Black Bear Performance Tune 04/19/2009 :-), Air-Lift Ride Control air helper springs, LT265/70R17 LRE Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 Tires.

#11 Burnthefurniture

Burnthefurniture

Enthusiast

• 227 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:30 PM

I noticed what appeared to be an oil puddle on the inlet side of my throttle body assembly when I removed my Banks CAI from my 2006 GMC w/5.3L V8, prior to trading my truck in on a 2011 GMC. I was thinking that the oil must have come from my aftermarket Banks air-filter, since there is no PCV venting on the CAI system I had installed. I didn't think there was that much oil in the Banks airfilter as shipped from the manufacture and I never reoiled it myself. Is there any other explaination for the oil puddle (~1 tsp) I found in front of the throttle body?

Was the oil you found in front of but right next to the throttle body? In other words, was it right near the connection of the throttle body and the Bank CAI that you had?
Posted Image
2006 Silverado Crewcab 5.3 Liter, Corsa DB Catback, EFI Live Tune, Ranchhand(s), Daystars, 265's and Yukon 4.11's

#12 cujo8

cujo8

Enthusiast

• 317 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

Was the oil you found in front of but right next to the throttle body? In other words, was it right near the connection of the throttle body and the Bank CAI that you had?

The oil was just if front of the throttle blade on the bottom lip of the throttle body opening where the banks CAI connected to the throttle body, so I believe the answer is yes. You have an idea about where this oil came from?

Sold:
2006 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE Extended-Cab 4x4 w/ 5.3L L33 HO V8 and 4-Speed Automatic.
Mods: Banks CAI, Banks Monster CAT back exhaust, Bilstein Shocks, Dorman Intermediate Steering Shaft, Denso Irridium Sparkplugs, MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm sparkplug Wires, Husky Mud-Flaps, Luverne SS Side Steps. 93 Octane-Black Bear Performance Tune 04/19/2009 :-), Air-Lift Ride Control air helper springs, LT265/70R17 LRE Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 Tires.

#13 Burnthefurniture

Burnthefurniture

Enthusiast

• 227 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

The oil was just if front of the throttle blade on the bottom lip of the throttle body opening where the banks CAI connected to the throttle body, so I believe the answer is yes. You have an idea about where this oil came from?

I have a k and n intake and have seen similar results. However, I do not have any oil on the inside of the intake tube near the filter, only near the throttle body. I would expect that if enough oil went through the whole intake to puddle, your MAF sensor would have been going crazy! That being said, I cleaned my throttle body on my 06 with 68,000 this weekend, and there was a nasty oily carbon buildup on the back and front sides of the throttle body blade. I could see no other cause than the PCV. Even though it wouldn't make sense that it would be in front of the blades with the air moving into the engine and not out, I have to assume there are times when there could be turbulence or enough of a pressure difference to cause some of that oily mess to move in front of the blades.

My vote still goes for the PCV. With the catch can, I'm expecting to see now that I've cleaned mine, it will stay much cleaner after.
Posted Image

#14 cujo8

cujo8

Enthusiast

• 317 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

I have a k and n intake and have seen similar results. However, I do not have any oil on the inside of the intake tube near the filter, only near the throttle body. I would expect that if enough oil went through the whole intake to puddle, your MAF sensor would have been going crazy! That being said, I cleaned my throttle body on my 06 with 68,000 this weekend, and there was a nasty oily carbon buildup on the back and front sides of the throttle body blade. I could see no other cause than the PCV. Even though it wouldn't make sense that it would be in front of the blades with the air moving into the engine and not out, I have to assume there are times when there could be turbulence or enough of a pressure difference to cause some of that oily mess to move in front of the blades.

My vote still goes for the PCV. With the catch can, I'm expecting to see now that I've cleaned mine, it will stay much cleaner after.

I'm wondering if this happens to trucks that do not have a aftermarket CAI system?

Sold:

#15 SparkySparks

SparkySparks

Misses his Silverado

• 644 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Drives:2008 Silverado

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

Guess I should go pull my K&N off and check for oil also, its been a while since I looked last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users