Oil In Intake Manifold

I am in the process of replacing my knock sensors. When I removed the intake manifold I found a small pool of oil sitting in the intake behind the throttle body. What would cause this? Is it possibly a clogged PVC? Any help would be apprecited. 2003 Gmc Yukon XL 106,000 miles 5.3l

Higher Than Expected Engine Oil Consumption (Replace PCV Valve) #01-06-01-029

Higher than Expected Engine Oil Consumption (Replace PCV Valve)

1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Models

2002 Cadillac Escalade

with 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs T, N, U - RPOs LM7, LQ9, LQ4)

Condition

Some customers may comment on higher than expected engine oil consumption. They may further comment on consumption in the range of 2,000 miles (3,200 km) or less per quart (0.946 liter) of oil under normal driving conditions.

Cause

The condition may be due to the PCV Valve flow rate under certain engine operating conditions.

Correction

Verify that the oil consumption is not the result of an oil leak or other engine concern.

Dealer should perform an oil consumption test. The vehicle should have accumulated over 4,000 miles (6,450 km) before establishing the oil consumption rate. Reference Service Bulletin #01-06-01-011, Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guideline, for details.

Remove the PCV Valve and inspect the hose going to the intake manifold for signs of excessive oil being present.

If excessive oil is present in the PCV hose, replace the PCV Valve Type 948C (2) with a new-style fixed orifice PCV Valve Type CV2001-C (1). See Fig. 1 - PCV Valve Identification.

FIGURE Figure 1 -- PCV Valve Identification©

(1) New style fixed orifice PCV Valve Type CV2001-C

(2) Spring and plunger style PCV Valve Type 948-C

Important

Do not install the new style fixed orifice PCV Valve on vehicles equipped with the 4.8L V8 Engine (RPO LR4). Use of this orifice on the 4.8L V8 engine may affect engine idle quality and engine RPM control.

Important

The new style fixed orifice PCV Valve contains no moving parts, and does not rattle when shaken.

If the vehicle has an orifice style PCV Valve, investigate other causes for high oil consumption.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Valve, PCV Type CV2001-C

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Or a good oil catch can...

013.jpg

I would like to replace my PCV valve in my truck. It wouldn't hurt anything to install the new PCV valve even if I don't have an oil consumption problem would it?

And to double check, is that the PVC valve in the photo attached above feeding the silver canister in the engine bay?

Thanks

I would like to replace my PCV valve in my truck. It wouldn't hurt anything to install the new PCV valve even if I don't have an oil consumption problem would it?

And to double check, is that the PVC valve in the photo attached above feeding the silver canister in the engine bay?

Thanks

Your 2005 has a fixed orifice PCV valve that is made in the valve cover and is not replaceable. That started in 2004,

So i checked my PCV and i already have the fixed orfice style. So do i need a catch can system? Please excuse my ignorance, haven't ever had this issue before. What prevents the oil from being sucked from the catch can into the manifold?

So i checked my PCV and i already have the fixed orfice style. So do i need a catch can system? Please excuse my ignorance, haven't ever had this issue before. What prevents the oil from being sucked from the catch can into the manifold?

If you buy the cheap ones on ebay...nothing. many of them are empty cans. Mine has a filtering system that prevents it.

http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

If you buy the cheap ones on ebay...nothing. many of them are empty cans. Mine has a filtering system that prevents it.

I ordered an Elite Engineering one for my Camaro.

I ordered an Elite Engineering one for my Camaro.

Thats a good one. When I got my AMW can Elite Engineering was just developing them. They are top notch quality.

I noticed what appeared to be an oil puddle on the inlet side of my throttle body assembly when I removed my Banks CAI from my 2006 GMC w/5.3L V8, prior to trading my truck in on a 2011 GMC. I was thinking that the oil must have come from my aftermarket Banks air-filter, since there is no PCV venting on the CAI system I had installed. I didn't think there was that much oil in the Banks airfilter as shipped from the manufacture and I never reoiled it myself. Is there any other explaination for the oil puddle (~1 tsp) I found in front of the throttle body?

I noticed what appeared to be an oil puddle on the inlet side of my throttle body assembly when I removed my Banks CAI from my 2006 GMC w/5.3L V8, prior to trading my truck in on a 2011 GMC. I was thinking that the oil must have come from my aftermarket Banks air-filter, since there is no PCV venting on the CAI system I had installed. I didn't think there was that much oil in the Banks airfilter as shipped from the manufacture and I never reoiled it myself. Is there any other explaination for the oil puddle (~1 tsp) I found in front of the throttle body?

Was the oil you found in front of but right next to the throttle body? In other words, was it right near the connection of the throttle body and the Bank CAI that you had?

Was the oil you found in front of but right next to the throttle body? In other words, was it right near the connection of the throttle body and the Bank CAI that you had?

The oil was just if front of the throttle blade on the bottom lip of the throttle body opening where the banks CAI connected to the throttle body, so I believe the answer is yes. You have an idea about where this oil came from?

The oil was just if front of the throttle blade on the bottom lip of the throttle body opening where the banks CAI connected to the throttle body, so I believe the answer is yes. You have an idea about where this oil came from?

I have a k and n intake and have seen similar results. However, I do not have any oil on the inside of the intake tube near the filter, only near the throttle body. I would expect that if enough oil went through the whole intake to puddle, your MAF sensor would have been going crazy! That being said, I cleaned my throttle body on my 06 with 68,000 this weekend, and there was a nasty oily carbon buildup on the back and front sides of the throttle body blade. I could see no other cause than the PCV. Even though it wouldn't make sense that it would be in front of the blades with the air moving into the engine and not out, I have to assume there are times when there could be turbulence or enough of a pressure difference to cause some of that oily mess to move in front of the blades.

My vote still goes for the PCV. With the catch can, I'm expecting to see now that I've cleaned mine, it will stay much cleaner after.

I have a k and n intake and have seen similar results. However, I do not have any oil on the inside of the intake tube near the filter, only near the throttle body. I would expect that if enough oil went through the whole intake to puddle, your MAF sensor would have been going crazy! That being said, I cleaned my throttle body on my 06 with 68,000 this weekend, and there was a nasty oily carbon buildup on the back and front sides of the throttle body blade. I could see no other cause than the PCV. Even though it wouldn't make sense that it would be in front of the blades with the air moving into the engine and not out, I have to assume there are times when there could be turbulence or enough of a pressure difference to cause some of that oily mess to move in front of the blades.

My vote still goes for the PCV. With the catch can, I'm expecting to see now that I've cleaned mine, it will stay much cleaner after.

I'm wondering if this happens to trucks that do not have a aftermarket CAI system?

Archived