Stupid Dealership Oil Change Monkeys

Wolfmansbrudda

Changed the oil for the first time in my Silverado. I get to the oil filter and it's like they torqued it on there using lug nut specs... :)

It's probably been at least 15 years since I had to pound a screwdriver through an oil filter to break it loose.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Changed the oil for the first time in my Silverado. I get to the oil filter and it's like they torqued it on there using lug nut specs... :)

It's probably been at least 15 years since I had to pound a screwdriver through an oil filter to break it loose.

I had to do that on a Rambler station wagon once.. lol

Yeah, it happens man...

I always hand tighten...go a half turn than back it off 1/4 turn. Start the vehicle and check for leaks...if it does, than snug it up...

I have never had one leak...as long as you remember to oil the o-ring.

No need to torque it down...thats just dumb.

At least you can get it off. I had a greasemonkey tighten the spark plugs into my brand new civic back in the mid 70s. Needless to say 5 hours work getting two of them out with 3 broken extractors, gave up on the other two and then had the car towed back to the stealership where they had to pull the head and send it out for reaming and rethreading. It cost them over a thousand including my three day car rental back then.

Yeah the dealership shops suck.

Especially for what they want to charge you, you think they'd be a little more professional.

Considering the dealerships don't really charge all that much on an oil change and oftentimes are cheaper then going to the local Jiffy Lube, how professional do you expect them to be?

Don't forget the point its the apprentice changing your oil...the 3 day apprentice.....they start the program as oil and tire guys for the first 6 months, than move up...so quite literally you may have the guy that got shown what an oil filter was yesterday.

Changed the oil for the first time in my Silverado. I get to the oil filter and it's like they torqued it on there using lug nut specs... :D

Especially for what they want to charge you, you think they'd be a little more professional.

Whoa, I have thow my 2 cents in here. Don't bash every dealer because of 1 bad place. I work at a dealer, been a tech for 8+ years. I would bring my truck to us if I didn't work there. There are some good ones out there! If you want to bash someone, bash the system. They are the ones the make that automotive world work on commission. They drive these techs to try work faster and faster, inherently creating the conditions for somthing to get overlooked. Bash GM for cutting warranty times again and again. They are the corperate bastards that keep charging more and more for new trucks. Where is all this money going? In their pockets, not the guy bustin his ass in a 100 degree shop in the middle of July, trying to fix a truck that some dumbf*** engineer built. :cheers: Everyone has to start somewhere, and I understand, there are some shithole dealers out there. Don't bash them all cause of 1 bad experience, find a new dealer you can trust.

Considering the dealerships don't really charge all that much on an oil change and oftentimes are cheaper then going to the local Jiffy Lube, how professional do you expect them to be?

Don't forget the point its the apprentice changing your oil...the 3 day apprentice.....they start the program as oil and tire guys for the first 6 months, than move up...so quite literally you may have the guy that got shown what an oil filter was yesterday.

That is better than my local Jiffy Lube. Their staff is made up of people on work release from the detention center around corner.

I used to get interns from the local university for summer work on my GPS Survey crews. We had one a few years ago that worked at a local QL while attending class's. Had some terrible stories to tell about the shenanigans that went on there at times when you got a couple of these soon to be Engineers working that same shift. One of the guys working the pit was so strong that no matter how hard he tried just about every filter he put on, someone had a hard time getting it off the next time the car was in.

Changed the oil for the first time in my Silverado. I get to the oil filter and it's like they torqued it on there using lug nut specs... :D

Whoa, I have thow my 2 cents in here. Don't bash every dealer because of 1 bad place. I work at a dealer, been a tech for 8+ years. I would bring my truck to us if I didn't work there. There are some good ones out there! If you want to bash someone, bash the system. They are the ones the make that automotive world work on commission. They drive these techs to try work faster and faster, inherently creating the conditions for somthing to get overlooked. Bash GM for cutting warranty times again and again. They are the corperate bastards that keep charging more and more for new trucks. Where is all this money going? In their pockets, not the guy bustin his ass in a 100 degree shop in the middle of July, trying to fix a truck that some dumbf*** engineer built. :thumbs: Everyone has to start somewhere, and I understand, there are some shithole dealers out there. Don't bash them all cause of 1 bad experience, find a new dealer you can trust.

thank you matt ,one more stealership comment and im goin postal !!

these guys dont know what site they are on !!!!!

Look guys, maybe if the dealerships put a little bit of professionalism in the simplist and most common services such as oil changes and tire rotations, you wouldn't see such comments! Someone forgetting to put a valve cap on or stripping my hub cap with an air gun so it flies off on the freeway is pretty god damn annoying!!

Maybe I'm anal, but if thats the kind of crap service I get I'm doing it myself. (which is what I've been doing for 50,000kms now).

I'm sure you guys are professionals... but are you also the ones changing oil at your dealerships? Probably not.

And the "service" department guys (people who check you in) who pretend to know what they're talking about? I HATE THOSE GUYS! :P

T

Changed the oil for the first time in my Silverado. I get to the oil filter and it's like they torqued it on there using lug nut specs... :lol:

Whoa, I have thow my 2 cents in here. Don't bash every dealer because of 1 bad place. I work at a dealer, been a tech for 8+ years. I would bring my truck to us if I didn't work there. There are some good ones out there! If you want to bash someone, bash the system. They are the ones the make that automotive world work on commission. They drive these techs to try work faster and faster, inherently creating the conditions for somthing to get overlooked. Bash GM for cutting warranty times again and again. They are the corperate bastards that keep charging more and more for new trucks. Where is all this money going? In their pockets, not the guy bustin his ass in a 100 degree shop in the middle of July, trying to fix a truck that some dumbf*** engineer built. :sigh: Everyone has to start somewhere, and I understand, there are some shithole dealers out there. Don't bash them all cause of 1 bad experience, find a new dealer you can trust.

True :D ^^

I have been very pleased with the dealership near where I live. Great service everytime. I take my truck there for anything it needs now without a second thought. Although I do usually do a simple oil change myself.

Also, something to keep in mind for those of you that have shops changing your oil. I have a oil filter tool that fits onto a socket wrench and the other end has ridges that slides onto a delco oil filter perfectly. You can really put some muscle into this if you had to. I've never had to take a bad one off but it feels like this tool would take any of them off

Archived