Engine Hot A/c Turned Off Code - Not Really Hot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 merf23

merf23

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

I have a 2008 1500 4x4 4.3 V6 with 40000miles. Recently the ENGINE HOT A/C TURNED OFF warning pops up, but the engine isnt really hot. It seems to reset itself after a while. I though it did it more in wet weather, but today is dry (though yesterday rained). It did this yesterday. FIrst i disconnected the temp sensor on the left head, then reconnected it. It looked clean. This did nothing. Then, I disconnected the battery, and when i reconnected it 20 min later it was back to normal. I drove about 20 minutes twice today, at the end of the second trip it did it again. There was a recall to remove the insulation from the under seat computer, which i had done. It had the problem prior to this, and still does. Its probably occurred 10 times in the last 6 months, 7-8000 miles.

DO i justs need a temp sensor, or is it possible more involved?

thanks
Sean

#2 beave84

beave84

Enthusiast

• 491 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

I have a 2008 1500 4x4 4.3 V6 with 40000miles. Recently the ENGINE HOT A/C TURNED OFF warning pops up, but the engine isnt really hot. It seems to reset itself after a while. I though it did it more in wet weather, but today is dry (though yesterday rained). It did this yesterday. FIrst i disconnected the temp sensor on the left head, then reconnected it. It looked clean. This did nothing. Then, I disconnected the battery, and when i reconnected it 20 min later it was back to normal. I drove about 20 minutes twice today, at the end of the second trip it did it again. There was a recall to remove the insulation from the under seat computer, which i had done. It had the problem prior to this, and still does. Its probably occurred 10 times in the last 6 months, 7-8000 miles.

DO i justs need a temp sensor, or is it possible more involved?

thanks
Sean

Do you have a block heater?

Posted Image

2010 Silverado C/C Z71 2LT Summit White 6" Pro Comp Lift 35x12.50 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ's on 20" Incubus Wheels 2.5" Flowmaster Stainless Duals Aries Bull Bar and Nerf Bars Custom Colored Extang Tonneau Cover Recon Lighting LED's In Every Socket Added Heat To My Leather Seats A and R Motorsports 6000K HID's GM Tail Light Guards.Black Bear Tuned

2011 Silverado ECSB Z71 2LT Imperial Blue Metallic Stock So Far.

1992 S-10 Canary Yellow Pro Street Motown 415 Block Dart Heads Scat Forged Crank Eagle H-Beam Rods Powerglide by DeArment Transmission Curry 9 Inch and Four Link.

#3 merf23

merf23

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:33 AM

no block heater...Connecticut isnt quite that cold.

it did it again. i disconnected the battery for 1 min, and that reset it

#4 masabe

masabe

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

no block heater...Connecticut isnt quite that cold.

it did it again. i disconnected the battery for 1 min, and that reset it

This problem is all over the internet but I have yet to see a reasonable fix posted. I see some say to replace the thermostat, but the temperature guage drops to lowest reading instantly, which tells me that the engine temperature is not actually changing. Plus the problem can linger a few days and then the guage will instantly jump to a correct reading and all will be ok, until next time. some have said they have replaced the temperature sensor with no luck. Does anyone know the answer or can they explain how the thermostat can cause this to happen? I am thinking the computer must be involved in this somehow.

#5 redvett

redvett

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,503 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

If the engine was hot 255F or higher the PCM would have a code and the SES light would have been on. I suspect a electrical problem possibly the cluster. BTW the PCM is not under the seat its in the engine compartment.

#6 ferndog

ferndog

Enthusiast

• 27 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

My truck had the same problem the thermostat was replaced under warranty no problems since...good luck.

#7 Beer Belly

Beer Belly

Enthusiast

• 591 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

I was just going to post the same problem with my buddies 2008 Impala....probably the same issue

'06 Silverado Z71 E/C 5.3, 3:42, 4x4

'13 Silverado Z/71 E/C~ 5.3~ 3:42~ 4x4

*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

#8 texas2golfer

texas2golfer

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

Here is my situation. 4.8l v6. 2008. Truck has no issues as long as the outside temp is about about 75*. Once temps go below that I have problems. I leave to go to work and truck has sat all night. Once I drive about 7 miles the temp guage goes from normal to nothing and my A/C wont work. If I disconnect the battery the guage goes back to normal and the A/C works fine until the next morning. Also if I don't disconnect the battery I can get on the highway on the way home and it will start working within 100 yards of the same place every day. I have no problems in the summer, but on the coldest days after sitting all weekend it shows engine hot. It has got to be something to do with the ambient temp.

#9 masabe

masabe

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

I have found This is a common problem. GM engineers have apparently decided that if the engine temperature is too low (example 195deg) that they will display "engine too hot turning ac off". I had the same problem and replaced the engine temperature sensor but that didn't fix the problem. I had GM replace the thermostat and that fixed the problem. It doesn't make sense to display this on an engine that is too cool, but that is how it works.

#10 naedoba

naedoba

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

This happened to me three times in my 2008 Silverado (4.3 V6). I took it to the dealer and they replaced the thermostat free of charge under the powertrain warranty. Aggravating, but at least it was a free fix.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users