How Do I Know My Truck Has A Locking Diff?

Yes, they gave you the wrong information, the info they gave you pertains to car.

Here is the description for trucks

G80 Differential, heavy-duty locking rear

Just because its a GM dealer does not mean they know everything.

Hello Everybody,

Would like to join the conversation with my issue)

I do have G80 and GT4 listed in RPO sticker of my 2002 Tahoe. As per all above said - I should have a lockining rear diff (Eaton)? Or the best way will be removing the cover and checking personally?

I remember on a thin ice I was pressing gas in 2wd mode while trying to go up the hill - tires were slipping, then I felt a bump from the rear and the car jerked ahead. i guess that was the engagement of the diff. It did not help me to go up the hill though, as the tires were bald and I had to turn on 4low...

P.S. When I was ordering rear brake pads I had to get ones with this description: 'Rear; w/ Limited Slip Axle'

My pads are different from those off no-LS-axle: more prolonged in shape.

Again a kind of messy characteristics - so I have to go practical way - open the cover and see. It will also help to get away from the myth of my mechanic, trying to add LS additive to the oil))

I may be wrong here but from what I understand the g80 (in any form) is a limited slip locking rear which means its not locked until one side slips and then it locks, which is why you are warned not to break traction under heavy throttle because the rear cant take but so much abuse being locked at high rpm. I never checked the code on my 2002 duramax but it was locked all the time, doing a burnout was always both tires. my 2010 has the g80 code but with all the tcs its almost impossible to do a burnout

• 5 months later...
On 9/5/2016 at 9:51 AM, emsmccoy said:

Hello, I have a 2005 rwd Colorado LS. I was excited about learning about the Eaton G80 locking differential while doing a little truck research. I will be in the market in the not too distant future and would love to avoid the extra expense of a 4x4. As was mentioned, i looked in the glove box and was very surprised to see a G80. I live on a hill and my truck is terrible in winter weather. I live in the Southeast so it does not hamper me too badly. I would like a truck that would perform better. It looks like already have the G80 and it is not the answer for me. Is there anything in particular that I need to do for this to be engaged or is there a relatively easy way for me to check to see if the locking rear diff. is working? I am not a hard core truck user at all. I went up the hill in my backyard with a pingpong table and that's as off road as it gets for me. Daily commuter and weekend warrior. Love the practicality for hardware store, garden center trips, furniture buying. recycling / dump trips. I greatly dislike my truck's performance in the snow. I tried a suretrax (vinyl water bag for weight) and it did not really seem to help. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello,

I have a RWD 1500 Silverado with the G80 rear end. I put a pair of Blizzak winter tires on my truck this year. I've been very pleased with how it gets around in snow and ice. There are websites you can find on google that discuss equipping your RWD truck with these. I'd recommend looking into it.

Cheers!

Archived