Towing Capacity On New 2011 Silverado 1500ls

:( Hi,

Firstly, please bear with me since I am new at this forum.

I just bought a new 2011 Silverado 1500LS Extended Cab 4X4 Cheyenne Edition. It has a 4.8L with a 3.42 rear axle. It came equipped with Trailering Suspension (Z85) and Towing Hitch with Transmission Oil Cooler, all factory installed.

At the dealership, the salesperson had told me that it had a towing capacity of 7000lbs which to me was more that I needed. Note that I am pulling a 3300lbs boat (trailer included) sometime for distances of approximately 250-300miles. However, I am now unsure of this salesperson statement. Specially since the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 7000lbs. At the time I took his word for it but now realize that perhaps I should have done more homework before! Stupid me!

I have been looking at GM/Chevrolet charts which discuss maximum towing capacities for all types of vehicles. However, I have been having difficulties finding the information based on my situation. Most charts that I’ve seen refer to 5.3L with 3.73 rear axle and those which refer to a 4.8L with a 3.42 rear axle do not make any mention of Z85 suspension & factory installed transmission oil cooler. Lastly, would the towing/hauling mode help towing on highways.

I would appreciate if someone could provide me with their views of the towing capacities of my vehicle. Would the suspension & Trans. Oil Cooler raise this 5500lbs towing capacity.

Thank you in advance for any input you may provide.

Pretty sure the 5500 lbs is with the optional cooling package, since it is listed as the "max trailer rating". That said, I wouldn't worry much about it, unless the truck won't pull what you want, or it runs too hot. The same exact truck with a 5.3/3.42/6-spd is rated for 9500 lbs. I think that number is overstated, since the 5.3/3.73/4-spd was previously rated at 7500 lbs. To compare, the new Ford Crew 4x4 5.0 with a 6-spd and 3.55 axle (but similar transmission ratios) is rated for 7500 lbs, but has more torque/power than a 5.3.

Pretty sure the 5500 lbs is with the optional cooling package, since it is listed as the "max trailer rating". That said, I wouldn't worry much about it, unless the truck won't pull what you want, or it runs too hot. The same exact truck with a 5.3/3.42/6-spd is rated for 9500 lbs. I think that number is overstated, since the 5.3/3.73/4-spd was previously rated at 7500 lbs. To compare, the new Ford Crew 4x4 5.0 with a 6-spd and 3.55 axle (but similar transmission ratios) is rated for 7500 lbs, but has more torque/power than a 5.3.

Could you give me your view of the maximum weight I should be pulling with my truck if it is rated at 5500lbs. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I just don't believe I should be towing 100% of its maximum capacity for somewhat long distances.

Lastly, I have a sensor giving me with transmission oil temperature. Would you have an idea what temperature may be considered high?

Thanks again.

post-91286-1300495973_thumb.jpg

upper 200's (270+?)

Thank you for your Reply. Much appreciated.

I am now questioning myself whether I bought the right truck...and I bought it only 1 month ago! I had a 4X4 Blazer which had a 4.3l and which was rated for 5000lbs. For sure the wheelbase difference alone (between the 2 vehicles) will make my new truck that much better, and don't get me wrong...I love the truck, but I would have liked to have somewhat more than 5500lbs towing capacity. I guess I'll see when I go get my boat from storage.

Thanks again.

post-91286-1300499728_thumb.jpg

upper 200's (270+?)

I am now questioning myself whether I bought the right truck...and I bought it only 1 month ago! I had a 4X4 Blazer which had a 4.3l and which was rated for 5000lbs. For sure the wheelbase difference alone (between the 2 vehicles) will make my new truck that much better, and don't get me wrong...I love the truck, but I would have liked to have somewhat more than 5500lbs towing capacity. I guess I'll see when I go get my boat from storage.

Thanks again.

I have a 2009 5.3/4 spd/3.42 truck and I am towing 6-7000 regularly for 50 to 100 miles. My transmission has only gone over 200F a few times, and never more than 210. I agree with Ryan though that 270 is where it is too hot. For me, if I was seeing 230 - 250, then I would look into adding an auxilary transmission cooler along with the factory one.

The 4.8 is a little down on power from the 5.3, but you should be fine with your setup. I would recommend no more than 75% of your max tow rating for a long distance pull like that. Your gears (3.42) are what hurts more than anything. The 4.10 gears in the same truck (2009) would gain you 3000 more lbs towing. Bear in mind that that change probably also came as part of a package that included additional cooling for engine oil, etc.

I changed the gears in mine to 4.10 about 3 weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier, unless I had a 6.2.

upper 200's (270+?)

Thanks again.

I have a 2009 5.3/4 spd/3.42 truck and I am towing 6-7000 regularly for 50 to 100 miles. My transmission has only gone over 200F a few times, and never more than 210. I agree with Ryan though that 270 is where it is too hot. For me, if I was seeing 230 - 250, then I would look into adding an auxilary transmission cooler along with the factory one.

The 4.8 is a little down on power from the 5.3, but you should be fine with your setup. I would recommend no more than 75% of your max tow rating for a long distance pull like that. Your gears (3.42) are what hurts more than anything. The 4.10 gears in the same truck (2009) would gain you 3000 more lbs towing. Bear in mind that that change probably also came as part of a package that included additional cooling for engine oil, etc.

I changed the gears in mine to 4.10 about 3 weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier, unless I had a 6.2.

Well...Thanks a lot for the info. Your setup is propably as close as I have on mine.

As I previously mentioned, my boat + trailer weighs approximately 3300lbs. I figure with a full tank of gas and all my equipment I would probably run close to 4500lbs which would be approximately 80% of my maximum trailering capacity. My truck came with the "Heavy Duty Handling/Trailering Suspension Package (Z85)" and the "Heavy Duty Trailering Special Equipment" which includes Transmission oil cooler, Trailer towing capability, Wiring harness, Class IV rating, and Trailer hitch. BackClose

I am nowhere close to the 6000-7000lbs that you tow. However, from what you are telling me, I would think that I should be okay. Either way I will see this summer I guess and I will keep a close eye on the transmission temperature. But I thank you very much for your info. I find it somewhat comforting! lol

Can you tell me how much was the cost of changing to a 4.10? Although I am not even sure if one could switch from 3.42 to a 3.73 or 4.10 on a 4.8L?

Thanks in advance.

post-91286-1300584833_thumb.jpg

For the weight you are towing, there is no reasonable concern that I can see. A few responses:

- Normal transmission operating temp when towing near max capacity with the HD cooling package installed is ~ 100F over ambient. If outside temp is 90, you will run ~180 to 190 at "steady state".

- Climbing a steep grade is not normal, so it will spike up. Running at 13,000 lbs combined weight, if I pull a 5% to 6% grade at 55 mph for 30 minutes in 2nd with TC unlocked, the temp spikes another ~20F. Remember, maximum cooling is limited by the motor operating temp, since core transmission cooling is shared with the engine radiator. The auxiliary cooler helps keep it in check, but it can't overcome the water temp by much.

- The "hot" light comes on at ~260F I think. The new Dex-VI coolant is apparently *very* good at these higher temps.

- Cost to swap gears is ~ $700 per axle from a reputable shop (not the dealer!), but it also requires reprogramming. Not sure if a dealer will do that part, or if it requires buying an aftermarket programmer.

For the weight you are towing, there is no reasonable concern that I can see. A few responses:

- Normal transmission operating temp when towing near max capacity with the HD cooling package installed is ~ 100F over ambient. If outside temp is 90, you will run ~180 to 190 at "steady state".

- Climbing a steep grade is not normal, so it will spike up. Running at 13,000 lbs combined weight, if I pull a 5% to 6% grade at 55 mph for 30 minutes in 2nd with TC unlocked, the temp spikes another ~20F. Remember, maximum cooling is limited by the motor operating temp, since core transmission cooling is shared with the engine radiator. The auxiliary cooler helps keep it in check, but it can't overcome the water temp by much.

- The "hot" light comes on at ~260F I think. The new Dex-VI coolant is apparently *very* good at these higher temps.

- Cost to swap gears is ~ $700 per axle from a reputable shop (not the dealer!), but it also requires reprogramming. Not sure if a dealer will do that part, or if it requires buying an aftermarket programmer.

Just a quick Thank You note to all who have provided their views and input.

You guys are obviously very knowledgeable and this has been very informative.

Thank you again for putting my mind at ease.

Cheers from Canada!

Jacques

post-91286-1300752650_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
:seeya: Hi,

I just bought a new 2011 Silverado 1500LS Extended Cab 4X4 Cheyenne Edition. It has a 4.8L with a 3.42 rear axle. It came equipped with Trailering Suspension (Z85) and Towing Hitch with Transmission Oil Cooler, all factory installed.

At the dealership, the salesperson had told me that it had a towing capacity of 7000lbs which to me was more that I needed. Note that I am pulling a 3300lbs boat (trailer included) sometime for distances of approximately 250-300miles. However, I am now unsure of this salesperson statement. Specially since the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 7000lbs. At the time I took his word for it but now realize that perhaps I should have done more homework before! Stupid me!

I have been looking at GM/Chevrolet charts which discuss maximum towing capacities for all types of vehicles. However, I have been having difficulties finding the information based on my situation. Most charts that I've seen refer to 5.3L with 3.73 rear axle and those which refer to a 4.8L with a 3.42 rear axle do not make any mention of Z85 suspension & factory installed transmission oil cooler. Lastly, would the towing/hauling mode help towing on highways.

I would appreciate if someone could provide me with their views of the towing capacities of my vehicle. Would the suspension & Trans. Oil Cooler raise this 5500lbs towing capacity.

Much to My surprise, My Son poinrted out the different tow weights by rearend ratio. It's in the back of the owners manual.The suspension and cooler are not mentioned but just makes sense the tranny cooler is better for tranny life and suspension for stability.The tow mode should be used all the time when pulling a load like 3300. It changes the shift points on acceleration. Still runs the same rpm when hitting 6th gear....4th for a 4 speed. I don't use it when towing an empty one car trailer as that isn't enough to strain the system.(note;when towing that same empty trailer through large steep hills,I then use tow mode)

:seeya: Hi,

I have been looking at GM/Chevrolet charts which discuss maximum towing capacities for all types of vehicles. However, I have been having difficulties finding the information based on my situation. Most charts that I've seen refer to 5.3L with 3.73 rear axle and those which refer to a 4.8L with a 3.42 rear axle do not make any mention of Z85 suspension & factory installed transmission oil cooler. Lastly, would the towing/hauling mode help towing on highways.

Thank you for your input...Much appreciated.

Much to My surprise, My Son poinrted out the different tow weights by rearend ratio. It's in the back of the owners manual.The suspension and cooler are not mentioned but just makes sense the tranny cooler is better for tranny life and suspension for stability.The tow mode should be used all the time when pulling a load like 3300. It changes the shift points on acceleration. Still runs the same rpm when hitting 6th gear....4th for a 4 speed. I don't use it when towing an empty one car trailer as that isn't enough to strain the system.(note;when towing that same empty trailer through large steep hills,I then use tow mode)

post-91286-1302554511_thumb.jpg

Archived